Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Post by Gaybutton »

And fortunately for me, it's being built close enough to where I live that I could walk there. It has an oddball name - The Chilled. It's on Soi Khaonoi, a little less than a kilometer up from Sukhumvit. Once it's finished, it will be a "you can't miss it."

I don't know whether there will be a grocery store, but along with all the shops there will also be restaurants. In any case, somebody obviously believes there is now enough of a population out here to support it. I believe, if a full scale grocery store won't be part of this mall, it won't be long until one appears. I won't be surprised if more shopping centers start coming to "The Dark Side" too.

Here's the artist's conception of the finished mall:

And here's the construction so far:

See also:

http://www.facebook.com/CCcondo/

http://www.cchome-center.com/EN/News/Co ... ing-owner1
RichLB

Re: Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Sid

Post by RichLB »

This is going to create some interesting traffic problems. From what I've been told, residents of the dark side often have difficulty traversing soi Khaonoi during peak hours. I hope the city planners have some solution in mind.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:I hope the city planners have some solution in mind.
I'm not worried about it. The morning rush hour is over long before most shopping malls even open. Other than the initial curiosity when the mall first opens, I doubt very many people from the city side are going to be trekking over to "The Dark Side" to do their shopping. People on the city side who have no transportation of their own can't even get there.

During the evening rush hour, most people are trying to go home, not go shopping. Living here, I see it every day. The evening rush hour traffic doesn't usually start jamming up where the mall will be.

Whatever ends up happening, I expect either of two possibilities regarding city planning. Either it will simply be ignored or if they actually come up with something, it will be as usual - a total fuck-up. They either cannot, or do not, do anything about the traffic problems that exist now. I don't expect anything useful out of them later when the mall opens. The best I'm hoping for is a couple security guards, when they're not sleeping, to be standing there blowing their whistles. Other than that, nada.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

RichLB wrote: I hope the city planners have some solution in mind.
City planners? What are they?
Alex

Post by Alex »

The Chilled, interesting name indeed! Pray tell, GB, do you have many Ice Queens on the Dark Side?
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

Alex wrote:The Chilled, interesting name indeed! Pray tell, GB, do you have many Ice Queens on the Dark Side?
This is GayButton when he gets all gussied up for a night on the Darkside

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:do you have many Ice Queens on the Dark Side?
Along with TOQ being correct, I certainly hope so - and I hope they'll all be gathered at that mall - just waiting for me to show up . . .

Hmmmmm. Once it opens, with the right report - and let's hope an honest report - maybe some of you will make your way to "The Dark Side" after all. While I'm happy to see this shopping mall coming - and I hope it won't turn out to be a disappointment - I'd be even happier if gay bars also start opening up on "The Dark Side."
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

As I am not at all familiar with the Dark Side ..... can somebody please post a map that might pinpoint the location of this new shopping experience.

Thanks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dale1 wrote:can somebody please post a map
GPS coordinates are: N 12° 55' 23", E 100° 54' 41"

The yellow is Sukhumvit. Soi Boonsampan is also known as Soi Khaonoi. The mall location is the red marker at the bottom right of the map. Soi Khaonoi is between Pattaya Tai and Pattaya Klang - on the east side of Sukhumvit.
Dale1

Post by Dale1 »

Many thanks for the map ...... the location indicates to me that they really are focusing on the folks on that side of Sukhumvit.