Silly Trivia Question

Tripod Mike

Silly Trivia Question

Post by Tripod Mike »

Recently this Board has been somewhat quiet for several days. Perhaps because we're having beautiful, comfortable sunny days and pleaseant evenings to keep us outdoors and away from the computers. Whatever the reason, maybe this is a good time to present a silly Trivia question which we've all been asked before: Are Zebras white with black stripes or are they Black with White stripes? I just happen to know the reasonable, intelligent, and acceptable answer which will be disclosed in another post soon after reading a few replies. If this is too silly, it's understandable given who wrote this post. Ha
Gaybutton

Re: Silly Trivia Question

Post by Gaybutton »

Since nobody else responded, I'll give it a try - and I didn't cheat. I think they're white with black stripes.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Well, what the hell, I'd say their black with white stripes - and one of us ought to be right! Do we get to pick out the color of the car we might win?
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Bob wrote:I'd say their black with white stripes
given that an albino in most species is "white" or unpigmented I'd say you are correct - from a biological if not grammatical standpoint

bkkguy
Tripod Mike

Post by Tripod Mike »

Ha ha - Okay, ready or not here we go.
Born in Scotland in the late 1880s, John A. Hunter moved permanently to Africa when he was young, and later became an efficient, successful, and admired popular Safari Hunter leading many private hunting parties throughout much of East Africa - mostly in and around Kenya. The local natives referred to him as the "Great White Hunter". He wrote several books and at least 1 autobiography and in 1 particular book called "The Hunter", (which I thought was quite humorous in places) he stated that YES, there are both black zebras with white stripes and white zebras with black stripes. There are only about 15% black zebras whose habitat is mostly all in Angola and the southern Congo area. Everywhere else the zebras are white.
How can one tell the difference between the two? Next Post.......
Tripod Mike

Post by Tripod Mike »

Everyday we see zebras hoofing around, providing we haven't 'lost it' or hallucinating at the time, so tomorrow when you chance upon another zebra and you're so inclined to do so, look inside his ears. If they're black in color, he's classified as a black zebra with white stripes. If the zebra is in the majority, the inside of his ears will have a pink color. Everyone happy?
Alex

Post by Alex »

I'm happy! Just one more question: How does zebra meat taste? Like ordinary horse meat? Should I ask the IKEA kitchen staff?
Tripod Mike

Post by Tripod Mike »

Taste just like Bullburger...anybody knows that. Haven't you ever had the craves for a MacDonald's burger immediately after watching a Bull Fight in either Mexico City or Madrid?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Not really, because I've never watched a bull fight, but I guess I know what you mean! ;)
Tripod Mike

Post by Tripod Mike »

Alex - watching a bullfight is an unforgetable experience. I witnessed 6 different bullfights in June when the weather was hot and considered the "slow season", where mostly young, inexperienced Matadors are anxious to show off their bravery and skills against medium sized undistingished bulls. In the cooler winter months, the older, popular and more skillful Matadors are invited to fight the larger, beefier, stronger bulls who have an inherant angry temperment.

While in Mexico City, I joined a city tour which included an afternoon watching the Bullfights inside the largest Bull Ring in the world. During the 3rd fight, a clever bull gored this young Matador in the thigh and flipped him in the air, landing on his embarassed ass. I immediately jumped up - yelling "OLAY"for the bull. That was a mistake! Mexicans eat lots of hot chillys - VERY hot chilly peppers washed down with tequilla before a Bullfight and I was sitting surrounded by these ill-tempered locals. Lucky for me, my tour guide and his assistant quickly took me away from these nice men, relocating my butt in a more neutral location. Knowing all these Bulls were going to be killed anyway that afternoon, it was just a natural instinctive reaction on my part. Yet since that day, I've quickly learned to control my reactions drastically. Later, around the 4th or 5th bullfight and with the sun and heat, the Stadium began to premeate with the smell of blood from the previous killing of the bulls. Following the 6th fight, our tour group was most happy to leave for the bus and continue the tour.

Matadors don't enter the Ring until the bull has been weakened. First the Pickadors, usually 4 riding their padded horses, repeatedly stab into the bull's shoulder blades with their lances causing the bull to bleed and with one last thrust, they leave their lances stuck in his shoulder. If a Bull fights courageously throughout the fight, the Judges will rule for the Bull and he will try to be saved as a premium Bull and returned to the owner for breeding purposes. On very rare occasions, when a Matador shows exceptional bravery and artistic form, the Judges will award him with 1 of the Bull's ears. He is immediately notorized as a supreme Bull Fighter and with this, lots of money and fame. Taking this one step further, again on very very rare occassions and when the Stadium crowd goes looney and cheering estatically, the Judges will award both of the disposed Bull's ears to the now famous Matador. There was a Matador fighting in Spain around 1930s who was given the Ultimate Award - both ears and the Bull's tail. Not since that time has anyone accomplished this feat.

Wow! This deviated subject is a long way from the original Zebra trivia question.