I hesitate to post this, but I think it's worth reading

lvdkeyes

I hesitate to post this, but I think it's worth reading

Post by lvdkeyes »

By: Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer
Published: 04/16/2013 08:07 AM EDT on LiveScience

Circumcision changes the bacteria ecosystem of the penis, perhaps explaining why the foreskin-snipping procedure reduces the risk of HIV infection, a new study finds.

A year after men received circumcisions, the total bacterial load in the area that used to be under the foreskin dropped significantly, researchers report today (April 16) in the journal mBio. Anaerobic bacteria, which thrive in limited oxygen, declined most dramatically. Some aerobic bacteria, which need oxygen to live, increased.

"It's dramatic," study researcher Lance Price, a genetic epidemiologist at George Washington University in Washington, D.C, said in a statement. "From an ecological perspective, it's like rolling back a rock and seeing the ecosystem change." [5 Things You Didn't Know About Circumcision]

Circumcision's effects

Circumcision in the United States is usually done within the first few days of life. It's a controversial procedure, with some scientists and anti-circumcision advocates arguing that the removal of the foreskin reduces sexual sensitivity. Studies on adults who are circumcised later in life have found little to no difference, but many of those men are circumcised for medical reasons, confusing the issue.

Circumcision does carry some health benefits, leading the American Academy of Pediatrics to conclude in 2012 that the benefits outweigh the risks. The organization recommends parents making the decision for their children after discussing it with their pediatricians.

Among the most intriguing benefits of circumcision is the finding that circumcised men are less likely to contract HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. A 2005 study of South African men found that circumcised men who had sex with an HIV-positive woman were 63 percent less likely than uncircumcised men to contract the virus. Circumcision has also been shown to reduce the risk of contracting HPV, or human papillomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer if a man infects his female partners with the virus, and herpes simplex virus type 2, better known as genital herpes.

In the new study of men circumcised as adults in Uganda, Price and his colleagues found less biodiversity in the microbes, or microbiome, living in the now foreskin-free area of the penis. The bacterial die-off may be a good thing, Price said, because some of the species that decline are known to cause inflammation.

Cellular changes

It's possible that the pre-circumcision bacteria activate immune cells in the skin called Langerhans cells, which then respond to HIV by presenting them to the immune system's helper T cells; these helper cells typically coordinate a defensive immune response. Unfortunately, HIV has evolved to thrive and reproduce inside helper T cells, so Langerhans cells that present the virus to the immune system make infection more likely, not less. However, it's still unknown whether Langerhans cells are the culprit behind HIV infection in uncircumcised men. The researchers plan to follow up to explore this possibility.

If they succeed, it won't necessarily mean that every man should get circumcised.

"The work that we're doing, by potentially revealing the underlying biological mechanisms, could reveal alternatives to circumcision that would have the same biological impact," Price said. "In other words, if we find that it's a group of anaerobes that are increasing the risk for HIV, we can find alternative ways to bring down those anaerobes."
christianpfc

Re: I hesitate to post this, but I think it's worth reading

Post by christianpfc »

Among the most intriguing benefits of circumcision is the finding that circumcised men are less likely to contract HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
They did not think this to the end. Studies show that the bottom (or the women for straights) is more likely to contract HIV, and their risk is not reduced at all by circumcision. Furthermore, there is one very simple and highly efficient way to reduce the risk to contract HIV and other STI, which is to wear a condom.

Whoever advocates circumcision as a way to reduce HIV, is harebrained!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I hope you are aware that condoms are not 100% safe, especially when used for anal intercourse. Some STD's can still be contracted while using a condom.

The bottom's risk is reduced if the top is HIV Neg. I feel reasonably sure that scientific studies are not as harebrained as you presume with nothing to back up your presumption.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I feel reasonably sure that scientific studies are not as harebrained as you presume with nothing to back up your presumption.
So do I. Sorry, ChristianPFC, but you are not a medical professional whereas lvdkeyes was for an entire career. I can't speak for others, but between you and lvdkeyes, along with bona fide scientific studies to back up his experience and training, guess who I believe . . .
loke

Post by loke »

I think its mostly Americans that are for circumcision , the study was American ?

in Europe most of us enjoy to keep the foreskin and play with it. If I visit a doctor in a hospital where I come from they will ask me to keep the foreskin , and tell me its a natural part of my body that should not be removed unless there is a problem. .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

loke wrote:the study was American ?
Would you mind explaining what difference that would make? Somehow, I don't recall seeing very many valid scientific studies coming out of Portugal or Lithuania. If you're looking for a credible, valid scientific study, wouldn't you be looking for it coming from a country that has highly educated, trained, qualified research scientists, with access to the money, facilities, and equipment necessary to be able to conduct those studies? Given that criteria, where would you be looking?
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Somehow, I don't recall seeing very many valid scientific studies coming out of Portugal or Lithuania.
and you can support this comment based on a statistical analysis of country of origin of studies published in which medical or scientific journals?

and interestingly how many law makers in Portugal or Lithuania are promoting the teaching of Creationism as science in schools and universities? and how many in the USA?

bkkguy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:and you can support this comment based on a statistical analysis of country of origin of studies published in which medical or scientific journals?

and interestingly how many law makers in Portugal or Lithuania are promoting the teaching of Creationism as science in schools and universities? and how many in the USA?
Scientific and medical journals. Look them up for yourself. I'm not your library. I'll tell you what you do - instead, you be the one to show me which medical and scientific journals refute it.

I also have no idea how to respond to your next question, even more absurd than your first one. What on earth does religious fanaticism have to do with valid scientific and medical research, other than trying to disregard it - no matter where it comes from? You call it "interestingly." I call it "boringly."

As far as I'm concerned, the appropriate two-word phrase describing your message board demeanor starts with "horse's." I'll let you guess for yourself what the second word is. What puzzles me about you is your apparent need to come to this board to keep proving it.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: As far as I'm concerned, the appropriate two-word phrase describing your message board demeanor starts with "horse's." I'll let you guess for yourself what the second word is.
of course one is not allowed to make "personal attacks" here but it is quite OK to attack another's "demeanor" without one's iron first being shoved up one's own horse's ...

bkkguy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote:it is quite OK to attack another's "demeanor"
I've told you before - if you come to this board and post like a troll, you'll be treated like one.