Gayromeo and scams

whitedesire

Gayromeo and scams

Post by whitedesire »

Has anyone had a message from Gayromeo telling them they have won a large amount of money. I got one telling me I had won £250,000 and to contact an 07011 number which is expensive. I emailed them (as a matter of interest to see how they would respond) and they replied asking for personal details. I know the score and obviously I wouldn't give any details, I'm just intrigued. They even have an office in London, they gave the address, but missed out the number of the street (hehehehe lol).
Gaybutton

Re: Gayromeo and scams

Post by Gaybutton »

I haven't gotten that one, but I sometimes get a "I like your profile" message from Ghana. I wonder how many people still fall for these scams.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I get loads of Ghana messages.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:I get loads of Ghana messages.
Sounds like a lot of 'Ghana-rhea' to me . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

I mark all the Ghana messages up as "DEFINITELY SPAM", because that's what they are. The more people that do that, the faster their ID will be cancelled.

The messages from overseas people who have not read my profile are probably mostly spam too.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

This scam was more local to London or the UK than anything else, they had an address in Wrights Lane in Kensington, even a contact name. I did not ring the number for obvious reasons but contacted them via their email. They sent a reply telling me to fill in a form with my name address occupation, after I asked them what number Wrights Lane as I wanted to visit them and pick up the prize. If you are wondering why I purused this and whether I was going to "fall" to the scam, no I wasn't. I was just intrigued as to how thick do they think I am, and how they got the nerve to do this. I bet there are a lot of folk who actually do fall to this.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Indeed there are a lot of folks who fall for it. The reason the scammers send a form requesting address and other personal details, apart from being the first step on the road to identity theft, is to give them a self-selecting group of gullible people who are careless with sensitive information. I'm not suggesting White Desire falls into that group.
pong

Post by pong »

so has Ghana replaced Nigeria then?
Never seen/received one-but have not checked my GR for some days now-I'll have a peek later on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote:so has Ghana replaced Nigeria then?
I wouldn't say 'replaced.' I would say 'n addition to.' When I get those kinds of scam messages, if I'm on Gay Romeo most of the time it's from Ghana. If it comes in via Email, most of the time it's Nigeria. I don't even bother reading them. I just delete them. The good news, at least for me, is lately I've received substantially fewer of either of those types of messages. Maybe in my case they finally figured out this is one fish that isn't taking the bait . . .
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Ceejay - Nah, not me. Far from gullible.