Soccer World Cup Gay Controversy

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Soccer World Cup Gay Controversy

Post by fountainhall »

Two weeks ago, FIFA, the organisation which controls world soccer, controversially awarded the rights to stage the 2022 World Cup to that well-known soccer-loving nation of . . . Qatar! Apart from the fact that the Gulf nation has a population of only 1.4 million, it presently has just 3 soccer stadia. To stage the World Cup, these will be totally renovated and nine new ones will be constructed. No problem, of course, since Qatar sits on huge oil reserves. FIFA even sees no problem in the fact that the temperature in the summer, when World Cups have to be played, gets up to 50 degrees celsius. All that oil wealth will create micro-climate stadia with each seat having its own air conditioning!

In the outcry over awarding one of the world's biggest sporting events to such a tiny nation with little soccer history and tradition, it now seems that FIFA forgot one thing: Qatar is an Islamic nation with strict laws which forbid same-sex relationships. When asked at a press conference yesterday for his comments about gay people wanting to attend the tournament, FIFA's increasingly megalomaniacal Sheik - oops, I mean President - Sepp Blatter, was unable to keep a straight face -
"I would say that they should refrain from sexual activities," Blatter answered on Monday, after a long pause. "We are living in a world of freedom and when the World Cup will be in Qatar, this will be in 2022. And you can see in the Middle East the opening of this culture. It is another culture because it is another religion, but in football we have no boundaries" . . .

Gay basketball star John Amaechi said Blatter's comments were more damaging than they may have appeared at face value. "Blatter's words aren't really about sex, as I can't imagine that many gay football fans would be bold enough to do it in public in Qatar. Rather, what he is really saying is 'Don't be camp, don't hold hands, don't look into each other's eyes, don't book rooms with one bed, don't have candle-lit dinners in the restaurant...' and on and on," he said. "He's really saying don't even 'look' gay, re-closet yourself and pretend the ties and love and affection you have for your partner or even some random bloke you might meet on your travels are gone for the whole time you are in Qatar."
Sheik Blatter did not agree.
Blatter insisted that gay people would have no such problems in Qatar in 2022. "I think there shall not be any discrimination against any human beings on this side or that side -- or left or right or whatever," he told reporters. "And we don't want to have any discrimination. So you can be assured that ... if people want to watch a match in 2022 I am sure they will be admitted to such matches. "What we want to do is open this game to all people to all cultures, and this is what we are doing in 2022."
Is Sheik Blatter so stupid he really expects a strict Muslim nation to change its laws just for a few weeks? Well, we'll see. Another 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell', maybe? In the meantime, the Gay Football Supporter's Network has said: "We strongly condemn FIFA's decision and will be leading a LGBT [Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay and Transgender] boycott of all activities associated with World Cup 2022 . . . We do not feel the World Cup should be held in any country that abuses and disregards the basic human rights of LGBT people."

I doubt if boycotts of World Cup activities will have any effect. On the other hand, if there is an on-going multi-year worldwide gay and lesbian boycott of the products and services produced by the 2022 World Cup's main sponsors, FIFA will be forced to do something much more meaningful than issue idiotic statements.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/footb ... tml?hpt=T2 and http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9284186.stm
Bob

Re: Soccer World Cup Gay Controversy

Post by Bob »

I understand the argument that a world sports organization (whether the Olympics, FIFA, or whatever) ought not grant any event to a nation which doesn't live up to certain basic human rights standards; however, given the event has been awarded to Qatar and there's nothing the FIFA president can do about it now, I really don't see how what he said merits this level of ridicule. All he said (recognizing the nature of the muslim country) is everybody ought to go enjoy the football and, while there, it probably would be wise for people who happen to be gay to refrain from conduct that the local populace (and police there) will likely find offensive. What should he have said (again, given the parameters that Qatar has already been chosen and that he's intelligent enough to recognize some of the conduct that the people of Qatar find offensive)?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Bob wrote:I really don't see how what he said merits this level of ridicule. All he said (recognizing the nature of the muslim country) is everybody ought to go enjoy the football and, while there, it probably would be wise for people who happen to be gay to refrain from conduct that the local populace (and police there) will likely find offensive. What should he have said?
You raise two issues, Bob.

Re Blatter

I will answer at some length, partly because I am a football fan and partly because I consider FIFA a can of worms. The fact is Blatter has been a subject for ridicule for some considerable time. How else can you regard a man who, in the early 1970s, was elected president of the World Society of Friends of Suspenders, an organisation devoted to stopping women replacing suspender belts with pantyhose? When asked in 2004 how he could make women’s football more exciting, he replied: “tighter shorts and low cut shirts”. Another sexist outburst that had the media ridiculing him mercilessly!

Prior to the International Olympic Committee choosing Beijing for the 2008 Olympics, it stipulated it wanted assurances from all bidders that certain freedoms would be guaranteed during the period of the Games. These assurances were provided in writing. Did Blatter and his cohorts think to bring up with the Qatari authorities the subject of alcohol? After all, Qatar is a nation which prohibits the consumption of alcohol in public (a ‘must’ at every World Cup, given that hundreds of thousands of fans from the 32 competing countries descend on the host country and many can not gain access to the matches)? No, he did not. Did he bring up freedoms for gay and lesbian supporters? No, he did not. Instead, Blatter waffles about there being “still plenty of time to sort out any issues before 2022”? Oh, really? I wonder what the country’s imams and religious chiefs think about that!

For we should not forget that in Qatar, Shari’a Law is the law of the land. This does not just apply to citizens. Example1: in the 1990s, the Philippines Overseas Employment Administration informed Filipino workers that gay workers were prohibited in Qatar. This was in response to several mass arrests and deportations of Filipino workers for homosexuality. Example 2: in 1995 an American citizen visiting Qatar was sentenced to six months in prison and 90 lashes, for homosexual activity.

I won’t go into all the scandals surrounding Blatter, other than to refer you to his entry on wikipedia. More than 80% centres on scandals! The BBC’s Panorama programme recently aired what was essentially an expose of FIFA corruption scandals involving around US$100 million of secret payments made to FIFA officials and Executive Committee members. Unfortunately, FIFA is an organization that is subject to very few rules and regulations, yet it generates monster profits. A small committee of just 24 representatives from football associations around the world effectively controls billions in revenues every four years. The potential for corruption is therefore enormous. Just this year, a Swiss magistrate concluded a criminal investigation by ruling that FIFA executives had taken kickbacks. Names were kept secret and everything was swept under the carpet with a fine of about US$5.5 million. When Blatter refutes all allegations of corruption within his organization, is it any surprise this judgement is never mentioned?

Blatter exercises enormous control over his colleagues. Australia was the favourite for 2022, just as England was for 2018 (for some of the time). Yet Australia and England were kicked out in the first round of voting with 1 vote and 2 votes respectively. I have no doubt whatever that Blatter pushed his colleagues into approving Qatar because that’s what he wanted (dare I suggest that money had been palmed?). How else could a nation of less than 2 million souls and almost zero history in soccer win the biggest prize in world soccer? I am certain he did the same for 2018. He wanted England out of the way, despite its bid being the best according to FIFA's own technical committee and the country being, along with Scotland, the cradle of soccer, because he loathes the English media.

Franz Beckenbauer, one of the game’s most distinguished and respected players/managers in history and a member of that 24 member FIFA Executive Committee, has already publicly voiced his concern at the award of the 2018 and 2022 tournaments to Russia and Qatar, and the way Blatter and his pals publicly provided information they promised members would remain confidential. Beckenbauer feels betrayed by FIFA.

"The executive committee was told that neither we nor the public would get to know the precise voting figures," he told Germany's Bild newspaper. "After each round of voting, we were only told which candidate had been knocked out. And then a few hours later, I hear on the radio who had received how many votes" . . . He had already announced last month that he will be resigning from his post at FIFA in March and the vote has now given him even more reason to walk away.

Re: what should Blatter have said.

Had he exercised what I believe should have been due diligence, he would not be in this mess because Qatar would not have been awarded the tournament. Naturally, like the IOC, he should have said. "we raised this issue with the Qatar authorities and have received assurances that . . ." etc. But he was handed a question no-one on his Executive Committee ever considered, and ended up with a ridiculous answer similar to those I quoted at the start of this response. Rather than the idiocy of “refraining from homosexual activities”, he should have said something like, “The World Cup is the world’s largest sporting event and is open to all. We have always welcomed gay and lesbian supporters and are in discussion with our Qatar colleagues about this matter. There are still more than 11 years before the event and we will have more announcements in that time.” Simple, perhaps not true, but it would have been enough – for the time being – without subjecting him and his organisation yet again to ridicule.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes, your suggested response would certainly have been better. Had I been asked the same question off the cuff, I'm not sure I would have answered it any better than he did in the first try so I don't fault him for the language. It didn't seem to me that he was attempting to be mean-spirited or discriminatory as I thought he was just saying something relatively sensible given the reality in Qatar.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

With all respect, Bob, I doubt if you have been a major world celebrity for more than a dozen years with close to 50 official honours to your name. Such figures appear in public so frequently, they usually have an automatic response mechanism which enables them to come up with answers to difficult questions without constantly putting both feet in their mouths!

I only just saw the video of his media conference on CNN a few moments ago. Clearly Blatter is caught completely off guard, which is unusual for someone known to be a control freak. Equally clearly, he said the first thing that came into his head. FIFA has now said there will be no more discussion on the matter. Funny, how they trot out that phrase with embarrassing regularity. Prior to the World Cup, Blatter repeated his well known mantra that FIFA would never introduce goal line technology. The referee would remain the sole arbiter of what actually happens on the pitch. Yet a few weeks later, after several referee mega-gaffes in South Africa, he turns turtle and says the matter will be re-considered! Somehow, I cannot see the Qatar/gay issue going away.

Sorry, but I can't stand the man - as must seem pretty obvious!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Obviously there is little that can be done about a decision which has already been made, but to remain quiet and "good little fags" in the face of homophobia is not acceptable to me. Perhaps letters of protest sent to participating nation's soccer teams expressing outrage in their shutting their eyes to this violation of human rights might have some effect - minimal as it might be.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I fear it would be minimal. The only truly effective lobbying will be with FIFA's existing corporate sponsors. The World Cup costs sponsors vast sums. They shell these out because it is one of the few truly global events with a massive television audience over 4 weeks and great 'feel good' effect for years. If sponsors fear their sales will lose the global pink dollar, they may well have second thoughts. Money is what will count, in the end.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

You are dead right there Fountainhall.

It's all about money - Loadsamoney

Several things I don't like about these mega-events, one of which is the huge amounts companies pay for the rights to market their products to the total exclusion of everything else i.e. all their rivals. I think I am right in saying people have been prosecuted for attending games/matches as spectators and wearing some benign logo of a company not officially represented. In addition, what kind of fun is it (if you're a drinking man) to find the only beer on sale is unfit for human consumption (sorry, the only decent beer is British cask-conditioned beer, I admit to tunnel vision on that count) and that's when it's held in an alcohol-friendly country!

Bob, as an American, I suspect you did not grow up with football/soccer hardwired into your system. It's never really taken off in the States, has it?

If everything was rosy elsewhere, and FIFA was the only blight on the landscape, that would be bad enough. But football, at least in the UK (I cannot speak for other countries) is going to the dogs. An example of what I am getting at. And yes, no surprise here, money is at the root of it yet again! The foundations of professional football in the UK have been undermined and corrupted. A few weeks ago I was reading an obituary, it caught my eye because he had played professional football for the team I support. That was in the early 1950's, before my time, and his name was unfamiliar to me. Back in those days not many people had motor cars, so he was one of a privileged few - if he spotted a fan on his way to the stadium, he'd stop and offer him a lift.

Ok, now fast forward to today. Several players at the same football club I support are throwing fits of petulance that would be the envy of Naomi Campbell. Over what? Oh, I dunno!! these guys are just totally wacko, goaded by their 'agents' they seem to identify anyone in authority as their enemy. A well-respected manager of another Premiership club was sacked recently - he admitted he was a manager of the old school. At one time the manager ruled the roost and his word was law, the players knew that if they stepped out of line they'd be punished. Now many of the top clubs have a whole tier of people running the club and the manager has been relegated to cameo performances. The players, urged on by their manic street preachers, the agents, run rings round them . . .

Finally I was thinking of a suitable word to apply to him that would sum up my feelings for Blatter. I thought of coot, as in bald as a coot, for obvious reasons. Then I checked out the Urban Dictionary and find the word is now used in a most unflattering and (to me at least) appropriate way. Here is a link to it (those who do not want to know the score, look away now),

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Coot

See #3, really, I had no idea . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Bob wrote:the event has been awarded to Qatar and there's nothing the FIFA president can do about it now
That may or may not be true. The 1986 World Cup was awarded to Columbia. However, it pulled out less than 4 years before the event because of the financial implications. It was then awarded to Mexico, which had hosted the event only 16 years earlier. If there were sufficient pressure (which I think unlikely), Qatar could diplomatically withdraw - although financial grounds could hardly be given as the excuse in its case.
Rogie wrote:I was thinking of a suitable word to apply to him that would sum up my feelings for Blatter. I thought of coot
I rather liked the word the South African government mistakenly added into his name when announcing on its website the award he was given at the time of that stupid remark about gays and Qatar. It stated that the award of The Order of the Companions of O. R. Tambo was bestowed on one “Joseph Sepp Bellend Blatter”. The word 'bellend' is apparently a popular British slang word for the tip of a penis! The South African government had taken it from Blatter's wikipedia biography, not realising that some angry fan had earlier edited his name! Mind you, many might think 'ass'ole' would be much more appropriate.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The idiocy of awarding the World Cup to the tiny nation of Qatar is coming back to haunt FIFA and the its bulldog President Blatter. The controversy just will not go away. An increasing number of those who work in soccer for a living are coming out and openly criticising the decision. This is not so much for its intolerance to gays, but for the debilitating effect on the players and the fans of the searing heat which blankets the small nation at the height of summer. Whilst Qatar has agreed to build lots of new climate-controlled stadia, the players still have to fight the effects of the heat as they go about their training and basic daily lives. So what has Mr. Blatter said that has aroused more controversy? Only that he is not averse to the 2022 World Cup being held in the winter months!

Now the world professional footballers' union is weighing in against holding the tournament in the summer months, the traditional period when all previous World Cups have been played. Much more importantly, it is the time when the clubs that pay the players' wages are on their summer break and the vast majority of the hundreds of thousands of travelling fans around the world have their annual holidays.
The secretary of FIFPro's technical committee, Tijs Tummers, has questioned the decision to award Qatar the tournament based on it still being held in the summer.
"It is not sensible in a country with an average temperature of 41C in June and July, a midday temperature of 50C and, above all, extremely high humidity," Tummers said. "Tourists are advised not to travel to Qatar in the summer months and inhabitants leave the country en masse during this period. "[So] the summer months in Qatar also do not provide suitable conditions for a festival of football such as the World Cup should be, including for the supporters."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9310671.stm

Would a winter World Cup work? If the dates are changed, many of the top soccer clubs in the world will all scream 'Foul!' Preparing for a World Cup requires the national squads of players to be together for at least 2 - 3 weeks before the event. All then have to participate in the first 2 weeks. Thereafter, successful teams could need up to 2 weeks more. Inevitably this means clubs in the northern hemisphere - those with the most money, the best players and by far the largest travelling fan base - would have to take a winter break of up to 7 weeks. Unless it made this break longer, some clubs will then receive their best players back exhausted after an intensive World Cup prior to resuming their domestic seasons. The disruption will be immense. But then consideration for footballers and fans did not hold much sway with Blatter, his cohorts and his mega-rich secret FIFA organisation.