Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Post by Gaybutton »

The mall opened today and I was there. So far the only store that opened was the Tops supermarket. The others are still being stocked and prepared. They look like they will open before the end of the week.

I did not see an ATM in the mall. I'm sure there will be at least one ATM soon, but directly across the street there is a full branch, with ATMs, Bank of Ayudhya. Tops does accept credit and debit cards.

If you're going to be shopping there, if you don't already have a "The 1" card. It's free and you can get the card both inside and outside of Tops. You get discounts with it. If you want one, bring your passport and address information with you.

Plenty of underground parking and there is an elevator. The first floor is open for business, but the second floor is still under construction.

I was VERY pleasantly surprised at the Tops supermarket. It rivals Central Festival, Villa Market, Best, and Big-C Extra.

The hours are 7:00am - 11:00pm.

There are a great many products and items I've never seen at other supermarkets. Between now and New Year there are loads of free samples, discounts, and promotions.

I am greatly impressed with everything, with one exception. I was not particularly pleased with the meats department. Everything is prepackaged and there isn't much of a selection. The other major supermarkets have a much wider and varied selection. I don't like prepackaged meats. I much prefer to choose my own pieces and quantities. For routine meat and poultry items, Tops will do just fine, but when I want to be selective I'll still be heading for Makro and Big-C Extra.

But everything else is excellent. There is even a "mini-restaurant" as you can see in one of the photos below. My photos don't even begin to do justice for the new Tops. If you happen to find yourself on "The Dark Side," definitely stop in and have a look.

WAIT! That's not all. While I was there I was chatting with a gentleman who also lives on "The Dark Side." He seems to know what he's talking about. According to him, the Mall Group - that's the outfit that owns places in Bangkok such as The Paragon - is also going to be building a shopping center on "The Dark Side" out near the Siam Country Club. He says they're even going to have a hotel and golf course. I haven't had time to try to verify what he says, but of course if it turns out to be true I'll post a separate topic once I find out some details.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Anyone here other than G.B. living on the "Dark Side"?
I know a couple board members who used to live on "The Dark Side," but have since moved to different cities. I do know some board members who occasionally come out to "The Dark Side" for some of the restaurants and there is a significant farang population, but as far as I know I am the only board member actually living out here.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Now that the Dark Side has caught up with some provincial capitals in Isaan, mall-wise, more members might consider moving there. ;)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:more members might consider moving there. ;)
You planning to be one of them . . . ?
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:You planning to be one of them . . . ?
No worries, I'm a Bangkokian through and through. I will continue to visit Pattaya from time to time, but I don't have any plans to move there.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:I'm a Bangkokian through and through. I will continue to visit Pattaya from time to time, but I don't have any plans to move there
I see. Sooner or later you'll probably be thrown out of Bangkok. When that happens, we'll try to find a place for you on "The Dark Side" . . .
Alex

Post by Alex »

Gaybutton wrote:Sooner or later you'll probably be thrown out of Bangkok.
Quite some prediction! You shall be known as "The Oracle of the Dark Side" if and when that will really happen...

Back on topic though, I'm wondering if that new mall has a decent cinema? Since that's usually my primary reason for venturing to a mall.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Alex wrote:I'm wondering if that new mall has a decent cinema?
No. The second floor is still under construction, but I haven't seen anything to indicate a cinema is going to be there. I'll post once I know what else will be at the mall.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Alex wrote:Now that the Dark Side has caught up with some provincial capitals in Isaan, mall-wise, more members might consider moving there. ;)
From what little I have learned travelling around on holidays, I bet it's a lot easier calling up some entertainment on an app to "the dark side" than it would be in some random Isaan town.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:I bet it's a lot easier calling up some entertainment on an app to "the dark side" than it would be in some random Isaan town.
You're probably right. However, It's been my experience in some of those small towns there is no problem finding willing young gents, even without a hookup app. Often you don't even need to try to find them. If you stick around for a little while, they find you.

If your 'Gaydar' is working, your chances are actually quite good. And even in the rural areas you're never very far from a short-time room - and believe me, the local boys know just where to go.