Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Sid

Post by Gaybutton »

Dale1 wrote:the location indicates to me that they really are focusing on the folks on that side of Sukhumvit.
I think so. There is plenty of population out here now on "The Dark Side" to support it. Besides, the location is the closest to Sukhumvit, on any of "The Dark Side" sois that lead to Sukhumvit, that still had enough vacant land to build such a large structure.

The land and the building, along with a nearby luxury-type condo they're also building, has to be a major investment for this company. I doubt they would have risked it unless they know something. I wonder what it is they might know . . .

The one thing I hope doesn't happen - I don't want it to become a stop for the tour buses.
Dale1

Re: Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Sid

Post by Dale1 »

A couple of "they must have known somethings" come to mind ... the massive 20+ story View Talay condominium right next to Central Festival ... condo was built first ... followed several years later by Central Festival ... clearly 25% of the condo apartments face directly onto the entry to the Central Festival parking garage, onto the garage itself and the towering Hilton above ... cannot imagine that any of those apartments are a joy to live in ... have periodically noticed often when climbing the parking garage ramp that nearly all of them appear empty ... seems quite a loss in investment to the View Talay folks.

Surely the folks that developed The Avenue must have researched the thing before investing ... did they not know that Central Festival was planned ... other than Villa Supermarket, the cinema and bowling alley and a few of the restaurants their big investment has become just another Pattaya night market and vacant shops.
Gaybutton

Re: Full scale shopping mall finally coming to "The Dark Side"

Post by Gaybutton »

At the present stage of construction, it looks to me like the mall might open within the next couple of months.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Next to Friendship Market on Pattaya Tai is a huge new construction project. Wonder what is planned.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
sugargrandpa

Post by sugargrandpa »

If I wanted to check out this new shopping mall when it opens just for the fun of it, how would I get there from Jomtien or South Pattaya? Motorcycle taxi? GB, is there anything else within walking distance of the mall that would be of interest to someone who might live in Pattaya in the future?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

sugargrandpa wrote:If I wanted to check out this new shopping mall when it opens just for the fun of it, how would I get there from Jomtien or South Pattaya? Motorcycle taxi? GB, is there anything else within walking distance of the mall that would be of interest to someone who might live in Pattaya in the future?
It would have to be a motorbike taxi. There are baht buses on "The Dark Side," but they're few and far between. Unless you hire one, they don't run on Soi Khao Noi at all.

As for other things of interest within walking distance, the short answer is no. Nothing else is around there other than the usual small shops and a nearby open-air market. There is a Bank of Ayudhya branch directly across the street. My dentist is also directly across the street.

I don't know yet what shops will be in the mall, but I doubt there will be much of anything unique that would be of great interest other than to people who live on "The Dark Side." Once I know what shops will be there, I'll post.

"Anywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

The shopping mall is scheduled to open its doors for the first time Monday, December 19.

I still don't know what shops will be in there or how many will be ready to open on the 19th, but the sign shows a Tops supermarket, apparently full scale rather than a mini mart. For me, that will be very convenient.

I'll try to go on the 19th or shortly thereafter. I'll post after I have a look.

I took the photo just this morning, December 9.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I passed by about 9:15pm this evening. There were still workers putting on the finishing touches. It looks ready to open right now, but I imagine the next step before it opens will be the tenants bringing in the supplies to stock their shops. I also think there will be quite a bit of hiring going on. Unless the shops have already been hiring and training staff elsewhere, I have seen no one other than the construction workers at the mall.

I did notice signs going up around "The Dark Side" area advertising some of the shops that will be there. I was driving, so I was paying much more attention to the road than the signs, but I did notice there will be a Watson's, a Dheva Clinic (ladies cosmetic clinic), a Mr. D.I.Y department store, and a Chao Doi coffee shop, along with the TOPS supermarket. I'm looking forward to seeing what else will be there.

Without yet having been inside, I have no idea what the interior will be like, but here's what's on their Facebook page:

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I stopped by today and spoke with the construction boss. He assured me the mall will definitely open Monday, December 19 and the shops will be stocked and ready for business. He also said TOPS will be a full scale supermarket.

He was kind enough to let me go inside and take a few photos. Apparently it really will look like the picture above.

The two below are photos of Tops getting ready.

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Nice pics. Anyone here other than G.B. living on the "Dark Side"?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"