chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:41 pm My risk of infection in Pattaya would be way higher than Gaybutton's, as I am on holiday and am not taking the same precautions.
Even then your risk is quite remote. If tomorrow you find yourself in Pattaya and become ill with the virus, you will be the first person in Pattaya to catch the disease.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Something else I have not seen reported - maybe they don't know yet. If someone gets the virus and survives, is that person now immune or could he get the virus again - and again?

Has anyone seen any reliable information about that, emphasis on reliable?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:07 am Something else I have not seen reported - maybe they don't know yet. If someone gets the virus and survives, is that person now immune or could he get the virus again - and again?

Has anyone seen any reliable information about that, emphasis on reliable?
I read, but don't remember the source, that a woman in the US was released from the hospital as cured and become reinfected. She was supposedly the first known case of reinfection.
pong

Post by pong »

As for now, unknown. The time after healing and being declared healthy again is still too short to be able to tell, plus that If there would be a region where this was possible, it must be mainland China, as it first showed up there. And as we all know there is not really ample nor too reliable info from there. What above says I also just read a few mins ago. But thats just 1 case, plus that it also seems to me in the beginning of such an outbreak there would be many errors and failures. I also cannot recall if that was the case with SARS a few yrs ago-
What also becomes ever more clear is that most of those having died from it are the old and fragile etc.-in very (yes I know, I am like that) harsh words: likely people who would have died due to another cause otherwise soon too.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

People are becoming paranoid enough and I sure don't want to add to that. Remember, Thailand has a population of 69 million people and only 40 reported cases of infection (and none in Pattaya) so fear is so far pretty irrational. Given that and with trepidation that I'll fan the flames of paranoia, I have some questions about the virus.
1. Can the virus linger and remain active on inanimate surfaces? Trump, who has shown his ignorance, suggested people avoid touching handrails. Is this really a problem?
2. Are public bathrooms dangerous? Apparently fecal material contains the virus and flushing a toilet disperses microscopic particles into the air. Is this a realistic concern?
3. Can the virus be sexually transmitted?
4. Have any demographic studies been done revealing patterns of contagion? There's data showing what demographics most often result in death, but what about catching the damn thing in the first place?
5. Given that a large percentage of medical drugs are produced overseas, is there a danger of shortages of necessary drugs?
6. Who compiles the statistics of infection and death? Does the world rely on each country's report or does the WHO compile this data?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:06 am 5. Given that a large percentage of medical drugs are produced overseas, is there a danger of shortages of necessary drugs?
I don't know the answers to your other questions, but on this one I doubt there will be a problem in Thailand. According to news articles Thailand has come up with its own drug combo and it seems to be working. With so few cases, at least so far, a shortage seems unlikely.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Experts say the "reinfection" will be as the OK test was not done properly (seen on TV, so no link). No one will say "I screwed up the test procedure". Not in Europe and even less likely in Asia.

Apparently acquired resistance deteriorates with time, but not particularly fast

Apparently about 80% of the raw materials for western drugs are made in China and India. I would expect production to be assured, but if these countries ever divert supply from export to the home market, it's an obvious problem.

Sexual transmission ? Well, if you have anal sex via a glory hole and with a condom, plus using alcohol spray when removing the condom, perhaps you might avoid it. With kissing and oral, I would think transmission is assured. That's a common sense assessment, so I might be wrong.

If the Thai drug cocktail were effective, the number of cured people in Thailand should have grown more quickly.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

This pandemic is worrying me. It is not a good time to fly on crowded planes or be in crowded places like airports or gay bars and clubs. I have decided to postpone my trip to Bangkok, and stay in my apartment in Lausanne,Switzerland.
Hopefully Bangkok will still have a vibrant gay scene in several months.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:15 pm I have decided to postpone my trip to Bangkok
In my opinion the only reason to postpone a trip to Bangkok is because of the air pollution, not the virus.

Pattaya's air is not the greatest these days either.

You've made your decision. I hope we'll see you a few months from now.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's one of the first Pattaya tourist attractions to go. I wonder how many more and how soon others will be doing the same. I also wonder, even if major tourism eventually returns, whether some of these places will have gone out of business entirely by then and will not be able to reopen, leaving gigantic white elephants in and around Pattaya.

The article doesn't say how many Thais are going to lose their jobs due to this, but I imagine the number will be significant. What will those people do now? Few will be able to fine employment in Pattaya and due to this situation, even if they do find new jobs in Pattaya, who knows how long those jobs will last. I imagine a lot of these people will have no option but to return to the rice farm.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Legend Siam Pattaya closes due to the economic impact of the COVID19 Coronavirus on the Thai economy

By Adam Judd

February 28, 2020

The Legend Siam Pattaya has closed due to the current economic situation in Thailand caused by the novel Coronavirus and all workers laid off.

The Legend Siam has issued an announcement to all staff yesterday.

In English the announcement said, “Due to the economy in Thailand last year and the COVID -19 situation around the world, many tourists have canceled their trips especially in Chonburi and from China, which was a significant source of our business.”

“The company cannot continue our business at this time where we are losing profit. We have to close the business and stop to hire staff from March 3.” The announcement continued.

“However, compensation will be paid to staff following the law.” The statement added.

“Thank you to everyone who did the best for the company. You will be employed again if the economic and Coronavirus situation improves. ” The statement finished.

The Legend Siam is advertised as a major cultural amusement park, with shows and cultural attractions about Thailand. It has many performers who perform complex shows with weapons, aerial acrobatics and more.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/02/28/l ... i-economy/