Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Anything and everything about Thailand
pong

Re: Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Post by pong »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:23 pm Doesn't Thailand have health inspectors - I mean the rare ones that actually do their job? I would think such appalling unsanitary facilities would be cause to shut down the venue until they clean it up and make repairs.
ZERO excuse!
At least BMA=BKK city does, but perhaps not in the field you mention here. Just saw them this week for a school (classic and respected girls matayom) and hey-also advanced in other sorts-the 2 inspectors who came out of the van were handicapped (no wheelchair though). It was utter clearly written in neat Thai on the van where the service was for-sanitation and foodhealth inspection of BKK-city premises. The friendly elderly doorman there with whom I chat regulalrly told me they come 3-4 times/yr and all unexpectedly=not with set agenda. No, the last 3-4 yrs it was all OK all the time in his school (and he is eagle eyed to anything that is not according to the rules)
For the rest though I do not think there is regular inspection of non-BMA premises. Its years ago, in the old venue, but I also recall really appalling toilets in the old SuperA/LuckyS.
pong

Post by pong »

But to original subject:
gogos and gay places only form a tiny fraction of touristy arivals, I think even less as that so often quoted 5%.
BUT then hey_ this week an INdian lady, also intending to visit Pattaya for its BEACH was welcomed @ swampy airport as the 36 or 38 million+ tourist (I guess it was just 1 more as total of last year) and gained new free airtickets and free stay for her+another for a soon to be next visit. TAT is confident that 38 mln will be reached before 31/12.
And as I wrote before-here in this part of BKK its really very well noticeable that the high peak of around X,mas+1/1 tourist season has arrived with many more visible utterly stupid firsttimers who still have to learn the rules of this land of smiles. Its more a matter of shifting markets.
gera

Post by gera »

My impression is that number of Chinese tourists in Pattaya is substantially down. I base it on what I see in Terminal 21 and in our condominium.
Around 30 percent of condo owners in our development are Chinese and we have literally thousands of them staying during the year. Statistically reasonable sample. It all can change with (very bad) Trump deal with China.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:03 am My impression is that number of Chinese tourists in Pattaya is substantially down.
I think so too, although you wouldn't know it judging by all the tour buses in Pattaya.

The reason I think so is because until recently the hotel just up the soi from me used to have Chinese tour buses parked there every night, usually from 1 to 6 of them. However, lately there have been none at all. Not one. Unless the hotel lost their contracts with the tour bus companies, to me that indicates fewer Chinese in Pattaya.
TomUK

Post by TomUK »

Tourist numbers may well be down. I wish the same would apply to the number of cars. I just walked along Beach Road from Royal Garden Plaza to Soi 5. On Beach Road was a three lane traffic jam with vehicles only moving slowly. At least it made it easier to cross the road as the traffic was at a stand still when I had to go to the other side.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Report from Bang Saray

An ocean-front Chinese resort opened last year in Bang Saray. It was packed full of Chinese tourists for the next 8 months after its opening, and you could see many Chinese strolling on the beach, eating at the local food stalls and visiting the open markets. For the past 3 months the resort has been totally vacant. The word-around-town is; "Where have all the Chinese gone".

China has been building its own five star resorts, which are reportedly some of the most luxurious in the world to cater to their wealthy upper class citizens. The growing middle class seems to be choosing their vacation destinations based on the value to their dollar, thus the reason they're all heading to Vietnam.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

TomUK wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:54 pm Tourist numbers may well be down. I wish the same would apply to the number of cars. I just walked along Beach Road from Royal Garden Plaza to Soi 5. On Beach Road was a three lane traffic jam with vehicles only moving slowly. At least it made it easier to cross the road as the traffic was at a stand still when I had to go to the other side.

This is the reason Beach Rd. Is an ongoing traffic jam:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:12 am This is the reason Beach Rd. Is an ongoing traffic jam
I'm still trying to figure out why the geniuses in charge decided the peak of high season is a really good time to do all this. I must be missing something.

Dodger wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:30 am thus the reason they're all heading to Vietnam.
Just what Vietnam needs - cities brought to a standstill by Chinese tour buses . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

They seem to be putting a very large diameter plastic pipe under beach road, with a smaller drain on top. The only rational reason for doing this now must be doing drains during the dry season requires a lot less pumping.

There are some more minor drainage works on the road towards Jomtien.

Also parts of the road up the hill to Jomtien were being resurfaced, although I think that may be finished already. I was amazed to see that the road being dug up was in almost immaculate condition. Where I live, the surface would have to get much worse for them to think about patching it, never mind get a full resurfacing.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:51 am The only rational reason for doing this now must be doing drains during the dry season requires a lot less pumping.
That's fine for the Beach Road area. Meanwhile this is going on all over town. To me it all makes about as much sense as that Sukhumvit tunnel.