Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Anything and everything about Thailand
ausieguy

Re: Pattaya’s Tourist Numbers Sink

Post by ausieguy »

Please I am not giving negative comments I am trying to be constructive. I feel the improvements to Dongtan Beach have reduced the size of the beach & made the lounging chair areas much more compact. People no longer have their massages under a palm tree, instead behind the loungers. Also why have the safety bouys not been replaced? Swimmers are at risk of being hit by a jet ski.
A trip to Pattaya used to include a visit to Soi Twilight. I understand that soi is now closed. This was a tourist attraction of Bangkok. If people want to go shopping they will go to Singapore. Also why not revive Sunee Plaza ( over 18) to its heyday of fun ( risque) bars.?
A few of my friends here in Pattaya have reported food poisoning from restaurants here. Authorities need to educate restaurant staff on hygiene.
A trip to Pattaya used to include the slow ferry ride to Koh Lan for tranquility & crystal clear waters. Maybe it has changed but on my last trip to Tien Beach it was mayhem bringing in boatloads of Chinese for their jet ski ride & their banana boat ride. Also there was many flies I presume from the garbage dump.
I have had my sleep disturbed on this holiday by a noisy bar ( live music until 1.30) Maybe authorities should be more sensitive to bar & construction noises spoiling a holiday.
As a final suggestion maybe the authorities may consider reducing the excise on wine & giving a bonus to the tourists. In Cambodia a bottle of French red wine is 300 baht compared to 400 baht in Thailand for a bottle of fruit wine. Win back the tourists with a glass of bubbly.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I also start every holiday in Bangkok. Gay activities have mostly transferred form Soi Twilight to Patpong and some neighbouring streets. I prefer the new set up and Bangkok is still worth a visit.
Currently Pattaya has just 9 gogo bars an I believe Bangkok still has more, but would need a recount to be sure.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ausieguy wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:12 pm Swimmers are at risk of being hit by a jet ski.
The last thing I would recommend is swimming in the Pattaya area or anywhere near, even if the buoys are in perfect repair. With the pollution you might as well swim in a toilet.

See: https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5996

The linked topic was started in 2013. 6 years later the pollution situation has not exactly improved.
Jun

Post by Jun »

They seem to be replacing the safety bouys today, slowly. I guess anchoring them down may take time.

In the refurbished toilet block, the urinal nearest the door developed a leak. Remarkably, it seems to have now been fixed.

I never understood why the authorities had to mess with the beach chair set up so much. The density of people paying for a chair is much higher than in the other zones. Even in the old days, the larger concessions would often be full in high season. I presume some of the customer base has gone elsewhere.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Jun wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:57 pm Currently Pattaya has just 9 gogo bars an I believe Bangkok still has more, but would need a recount to be sure.
Now 9 open as of now. Four others ( 2 gogo, 2 beer) are closed, unknown if permanent or temporary. I'm not counting the three soi 6 bars as they are not really gogo's.
1. Moonlight
2. Jupiter
3. Banana Mens
4. Screw Boys
5. Dream Boys Bangkok and Paradisco (counted as one bar)
6. Fresh Boys
7. Hot Male
8. Lucky Boys
9. Tawan

Prices as of now and this can change in a flash: Bars 1. and 2. 450 at the door for drinks and the rest 350 and all have off fees at 500.

I think that the improvements to the beach are positive. Less seats yes but there's enough.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:56 pm I think that the improvements to the beach are positive.
I haven't been to the beach in ages. By any chance have boys started returning to the beach scene?
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Yes, in the late afternoon but not a lot. Some on Hornet. Around the Dong Tan sign on the walkway and on the free beach adjacent to the parking lot.

I don't know why so many Pattaya expats have now shunned. dropped out or avoid the beach. I have asked but don't always get coherent answers.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:08 pm I never understood why the authorities had to mess with the beach chair set up so much.
I asked myself the same question when this stuff first started, but then went on to learn that the real issue was "encroachment". Each concessionaire has their business area mapped out in square meters on a map which is controlled by the Land Office. Apparently, and to no surprise, over the years the concessions started encroaching onto public beach area in order to have more chairs and service more customers.

There was a huge dispute a few years ago, where a farang women and her two children were rudely forced off a pubic beach area in Wong Amat by a concessionaire which ended up hitting the social media. This drew so much public attention that the police finally stepped in and started forcing all concessions to conduct their businesses within the approved areas (square meters).

From what I witnessed myself, this task was led by the military, and in all honesty, I can't blame them. Thais hold the world record for encroaching on other people's property. It's hard to even walk into a Seven Eleven in Pattaya with all those food vendors blocking the entrances. Thais just swarm and encroach. It's just part of the culture.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:43 pm It's hard to even walk into a Seven Eleven in Pattaya with all those food vendors blocking the entrances. Thais just swarm and encroach.
I'm not sure whether they are encroaching or renting the space. If it's the same vendors occupying the same space on a daily basis, then I'd say the odds are someone's got his hand out.
Jun

Post by Jun »

So many avenues on this topic.

I think Trongpai is a little harsh to exclude the Bangkok Soi 6 gogo bars. Since very few of the gay gogo bars anywhere in Thailand have any "go" and are effectively static, I would argue we should count any format with scantily clad lads and a stage as gogo. Then it's consistent. Which gets Bangkok into double figures.

Vendors encroaching on 7-eleven entrances have never been a problem for me. I would rather they clear the pavements so pedestrians can move more freely. In fact, to encourage the environmentally friendly and healthy transport method of walking, if makes sense. However, as a visitor, I will go along with the Thai ways.

When in Rome.