Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Anything and everything about Thailand
Post Reply
User avatar
christianpfc
Posts: 1457
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:26 pm
Location: Bangkok Sathorn
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 21 times
Contact:

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by christianpfc » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Undaunted wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:22 pm
I don’t see under the new rules how you can stay 6 months without a 1 yr. retirement visa
Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.

User avatar
Undaunted
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:47 am
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Undaunted » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:44 pm

christianpfc wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 pm
Undaunted wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:22 pm
I don’t see under the new rules how you can stay 6 months without a 1 yr. retirement visa
Multiple Entry Tourist Visa.
Until at the sole discretion of any immigration officer it is suspected that you are using your multiple entry tourist visa for the real purpose of attempting to live in the Kingdom!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

gera
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:46 pm
Been thanked: 10 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by gera » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:07 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm
I think 65,000 baht per month, which is the equivalent of around US $2100 at current exchange rates, would go a lot further in Thailand than it would in the USA
Actually I spend much more in Thailand than in USA.
This is despite the fact that I do not drink and Almost do not attend the bars

Dodger
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Dodger » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:04 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:49 pm
Dodger wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:39 pm
I'm not so sure I would discourage someone from retiring here if they had a 65,000 baht/month income, for the mere fact that a person can live a high quality life in Thailand for less than that. I know, because I'm doing it.
Yes, but that's too much of a blanket statement. There is a big difference between living on less than 65,000 baht per month because you choose to as opposed to you have to.

And perhaps not everyone would consider the high quality life you're living as similar to the lifestyle they would want.
Your point is well-taken, because every person has their own vision of what "a high quality life" would be for them, and I imagine no two would be the same. But one thing's for sure, that your money will carry you a lot farther in Thailand than it would in your home country, regardless of what your income is.

One thing I've learned in my life, is that it's not how much money a person has that determines the quality of his life, it's how he prioritizes the things that really matter in his life, and then manages his money in a manner where these priorities are always maintained.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16240
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 723 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:59 pm

gera wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:07 pm
Actually I spend much more in Thailand than in USA.
I can't help but wonder what you're spending it on . . .

gerefan
Posts: 421
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:33 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by gerefan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm

I agree with gera, I probably spend at least twice as much in Thailand as I do in the UK....but I do not live there full time. If I did it might be different.
And whatever you think I spend it on, you are probably correct!!

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16240
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 723 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Gaybutton » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:33 pm

gerefan wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:18 pm
And whatever you think I spend it on, you are probably correct!!
I got it right, and on the first guess too . . .

Dodger
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 266 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Dodger » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 am

When I think back about how much money I was budgeting and spending during my holidays in Thailand I get dizzy.

I very intentionally timed my retirement to coincide with my changing interests as time moved forward, as well as the fact that the swan song was playing in the background at my old stomping grounds in Sunee Plaza and Boyztown and I knew that change was inevitable. After transitioning from Holidays to Retirement my spending reduced tenfold, as my interests, in what I refer to as, the "3 deadly B's" (BEER> BARS>BOYS), started to wain and I really wanted a bit more balance and normalcy in my life.

I would not have moved to Thailand if I didn't have the financial means to support the type of lifestyle I wanted. To me, this is the most critical part of the decision making process that any farang has to consider. I'm fortunate because most of the hobbies I enjoy are pretty much free, i.e., morning exercises on the beach, hunting for clams with my significant other, playing guitar, wood working projects, swimming, cooking, writing, and of course sex and romance. Jai and I travel occasionally which of course is an added expense. I'm not limited to 65,000.month because, fortunately, my income is considerably more than that, but I'm able to enjoy the lifestyle I want for much less.

The only reason I selected Thailand for my home after retirement is because of the "BOYS". Frankly, I have no idea why people who aren't interested in the exotic offerings of Thailand would want to retire here, nor do I understand why families from the West would pick this place for their holidays. There are so many other better places with cleaner beaches (and water), cleaner and safer environments, better road conditions, reliable medical care, and without any of the silly visa games we have to play over here.

Before I discovered Gay Thailand, I had my sights set on places like Maui, Barcelona, Cancun, and a few others. as possible candidates for retirement, but they, like all other places I'd visited, did not provide the "Gay Friendly" environment I was looking for, nor did they offer the availability of willing gay partners that Thailand had to offer. As a gay man, being able to have a relationship, regardless if it's a short time roll in the hay or full-time arrangement, with a Thai MALE (don't want to ruffle any feathers), that erases all the negatives about living here in one fall swoop.

My advice to anyone considering moving to Thailand is similar to what GB, Undaunted, and others have said, that you should look before you leap.
Don't rely on memory. Write down exactly how much is costs to support the lifestyle of your choosing, right down to the price of butter. Include the cost of health care insurance in your budget as this will most likely become mandatory in the future. Be able to have at least 65,000 baht/month deposited in a Thai bank account, or 800,000 baht on deposit in a Thai bank that can remain frozen just for visa renewal purposes. Aside from these basics, don't come over here with an open wallet giving your money away to the "always needy boys", or else that budget you wrote down on that piece of paper can be tossed in the toilet. Last, but not least, never fall in love with a whore, and always keep yourself (and your lifestyle) as the top priority.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Posts: 16240
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 723 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by Gaybutton » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:25 am

Dodger wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:04 am
nor do I understand why families from the West would pick this place for their holidays. There are so many other better places with cleaner beaches (and water), cleaner and safer environments, better road conditions, reliable medical care, and without any of the silly visa games we have to play over here.
My guess is most families looking for a holiday give their attention to travel sites, travel brochures, and travel agents, but pay zero attention to sites like this one if they are even aware site like this exist. They don't find out about the negatives until they are here. Sometimes I wonder how many of the families who did try Pattaya ever return for a second trip.

firecat69
Posts: 922
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 55 times

Re: Don’t Move to Thailand in 2019

Post by firecat69 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:16 pm

Timing plays a large part in these decisions at least for me . After making multiple 60 day visits over a period of years to Thailand , I was about to turn 65 and be eligible both for Social Security and Medicare. I had looked at many possible Condos to buy in both BKK and Pattaya and was considering retirement in Thailand. I had been splitting my time between Montreal and Thailand for 8 years . I had a beautiful Condo in Montreal and was tired of spending even another day in winter time in that city so sold it at a nice profit and began to prepare for a possible retirement in Thailand.

Then the melt down in the USA economy happened . Financially I did not get hurt but all of a sudden real estate plummeted . I was traveling some for business and a lot as a tourist all over the world . I decided to look at real estate in a few key cities in the USA before making a firm decision on where to live.
I knew I was going to continue to travel so weather and a great airport were important. Sort of stumbled into Atlanta which was badly hurt in the melt down. Looked at lots of Condos and sort of stumbled into a building right in the heart of Atlanta . A 1 bedroom with an additional small office and 1 1/2 bathrooms. But really attracted me were the 10 foot ceilings and 8 windows of eight foot heighth.It was a foreclosure and the asking price was $72,000 . Five years earlier it had sold for $335,000 .

I knew I could not find anything similar in Thailand and even if I could it would be 4 or 5 times the price. . Time to make a decision. The fact that I was now eligible for Medicare also factored into my decision.. Great Health Care for close to free vs what I knew would be a continuing climb in coverage in Thailand . Also I still had lots of other countries I wanted to visit and Atlanta airport was easily the best airport in the US to travel all over the world.

I had considered all these things before I started my hunt for a Condo in in Atlanta and thus it was an easy decision . I walked into the Condo and made a full price offer in 1 minute .

If there had not been a financial melt down i the USA , I would probably be retired in Thailand . Instead I continue to visit Thailand and many other countries and have been very happy with the best Health Care in the world for as close to free as you can get .

Timing is everything. If I was to turn 65 a year earlier , undoubtably I would be retired in Thailand.

Post Reply