Australians - if you live in Thailand, you should read this

Gaybutton

Australians - if you live in Thailand, you should read this

Post by Gaybutton »

A letter-to-the-editor is in the PATTAYA MAIL, about Australian old age pensioners living in Thailand and trying to collect. You might want to read it.

See: http://www.pattayamail.com/mailbag/must ... sion-39184
DeE

Re: Australians - if you live in Thailand, you should read t

Post by DeE »

That really sucks. I wonder if the "age pension in Australia" is what Americans refer to as the Social Security pension fund. I wonder how long before the U.S. requires it's citizens to return home in order to receive our S/security pension. That would certainly force some of us to start thinking about plan "B". Not a nice thought.

cheers...
DeE
whitedesire

Re: Australians - if you live in Thailand, you should read t

Post by whitedesire »

This is outrageous, however, a lot of countries have their "different ways" of putting some kind of stop on it, as we know, including the UK. Fortunately, I opted out of the UK additional state pension and can receive this portion at 55 and even get 25% cash from it, that was instead of giving it to the government and possibly complications down the line. However, when I do retire, I'm only entitled to a basic state pension, which as I have said has "restrictions", as Brits know.

My message is to the young ones, don't rely on the state pension, if you can afford it, make your own provisions. Very difficult I know, and the baby boomers are the best well off these days, but baby boomers are at their peak now, that's no use to the young ones who unless they make lots of money won't be able to retire till 70 odd and more.