Reincarnation - An interesting Interview

Gaybutton

Re: Reincarnation - An interesting Interview

Post by Gaybutton »

bao-bao wrote:A line that almost always makes me laugh is the exclamation the woman in the background makes immediately after the welcome in this clip
For anyone who is not aware of it, that clip comes from an Albert Brooks movie called "Defending Your Life."
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

How's this for an option? Let's accept the theory (albeit far out there) that the physical world is but one dimension of existence. Some (not most) physicists suggest this as a possibility and that our perceptions of the physical world are illusionary.

Playing with this notion yields some fun possibilities. If one's consciousness survives death of the physical body, I fantasize some choices are presented. One could be that this "spirit" has the opportunity to ascend (or descend) to another realm (e.g., the Christian heaven, Valhalla, Hades, etc.). Another decision could be to remain disembodied and wander around the physical world (e.g., ghosts, angels, demons, etc.). Or, it could find a way to inhabit another physical body either permanently or on a short term (e.g., possession, reincarnation, etc.).

My own comforting fantasy is that each of our spirits are here for the purpose of learning something - maybe humility, tolerance, empathy, or whatever. Upon death of the physical body, our spirit may decide it has succeeded in its earthly lesson and elect to move on to the next realm. Or, if the learning is not complete it may exercise either of the last two options in order to complete its task.

Yeah, I know the objectivists will find this idea nonsense. If nothing else it would make a fun sci-fi story. But, I find that as I grow older, this fantasy becomes more and more comforting.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:this fantasy becomes more and more comforting.
I'm glad for you that it does. Unfortunately, I'm still waiting for someone to explain why any of this is limited to humans only.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I can understand the "comforting" aspect as that's a concept that relates to our need/desire to exist (self-preservation); however, I also find it comforting or natural to use my brain and not believe something because I want or need to but, rather, believe something when general scientific theory accepts it as true. I try to not out-think a whole lot of people (99%?) smarter than me.

If there's a people heaven, then there's no good reason why there shouldn't be a doggie heaven too. Probably littered with angelic fireplugs too. And maybe the fireplugs were toasters in a prior life.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:If there's a people heaven, then there's no good reason why there shouldn't be a doggie heaven too.
What kind of heaven would it be for dog lovers if the dogs are all in a different heaven? Now, a separate heaven for the fleas - that I can understand.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Bob wrote:I can understand the "comforting" aspect as that's a concept that relates to our need/desire to exist (self-preservation); however, I also find it comforting or natural to use my brain and not believe something because I want or need to but, rather, believe something when general scientific theory accepts it as true. I try to not out-think a whole lot of people (99%?) smarter than me.
In the interest of continuing this discussion, faith in pluralistic ignorance is more an exercise of faith than it is the use of one's brain. I think at one time that 99% you rely on "knew" man could never fly, "knew" the world was flat, "knew" Earth was the center of the universe, "knew" electrons twirled around an atom's nucleus in nice little orbits, and so on. Accepting something as "true" just because you have been told something is true isn't really a use of one's brain. What happened to critical thinking and forming your own opinion based on accumulated evidence?
And, I'm confused by your 99% figure. Are you suggesting that you are a dolt of some kind? I doubt that is the case. Or are you suggesting that 99% of scientists disavow the existence of an afterlife? If so, I'm surprised and would like to know where you got that. Or is it only reincarnation that the 99% reject? Even that surprises me since I suspect those from an Eastern orientation would take issue with that.