Wear Seatbelts

Jun

Wear Seatbelts

Post by Jun »

One dead as London-Singapore flight hit by turbulence
"So I started bracing for what was happening, and very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop so everyone seated and not wearing seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling," 28-year-old student Dzafran Azmir said.
"Some people hit their heads on the baggage cabins overhead and dented it, they hit the places where lights and masks are and broke straight through it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8889d7x8j4o

Whilst I always wear a seatbelt in a car, I confess to being more lax about it on planes.
2lz2p

Re: Wear Seatbelts

Post by 2lz2p »

It has been a long time since I have flown on an airline, but before retiring, my job required frequent travel with much of it being by air. I almost always kept my seat belt fastened, but when the seat belt sign turned off, I would loosen it.

As to the Singapore flight, it has been my experience that the "fasten seat belt" sign would have been turned on at the first experience of turbulence. Apparently those injured chose to ignore the sign.
Jun

Post by Jun »

It's hard to act on a "fasten seatbelt" sign when asleep.

I suspect that even a loose seatbelt should either prevent you from hitting your head on the ceiling or at least slow you down before the impact.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:15 pm the "fasten seat belt" sign would have been turned on at the first experience of turbulence. Apparently those injured chose to ignore the sign.
Or it happened so suddenly that it caught everybody, including the pilots, completely off guard.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:01 pmOr it happened so suddenly that it caught everybody, including the pilots, completely off guard.
That's possible.
However, I believe this is quite a popular route, as most aircraft from Europe to parts of Asia have to dodge the Himalayas & certain hostile regimes to get to their destinations. So I would have thought there ought to be reasonable reports from other aircraft on conditions.
In the 30 minutes before this, two flights to BKK and one to KL leave Heathrow & these will follow almost the same route. That's before we consider departures from other European airports.

On the other hand, I suppose turbulence could develop quickly.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 1:03 am I would have thought there ought to be reasonable reports from other aircraft on conditions.
Somebody had to be the first aircraft flying that route that day to encounter those conditions. Maybe it was him . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

Singapore Airlines will now stop serving meals when there is turbulence. I read somewhere else that the second meal will be served earlier, so they have more time to get it done.
Both are potentially quite inconvenient. There's a possibility of missing a meal, or having to wake up early to get the second meal.

Of course, this was a serious incident with several injuries, but on the other hand, there are thousands of flights every day & I cannot recall the last report of a similar incident.
Whether or not they change behaviour in a way which causes significant inconvenience ought to take into account the frequency of such events.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/ ... F05%2F2024
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Keep your clothes on too.

Well Magistrate - I was only advertising for a nudist colony . . .

Australian police arrest a man accused of running naked through an airliner

A man accused of running naked down the aisle of an Australian domestic flight, knocking down a flight attendant and forcing the plane to turn back, has been arrested by police at the airport

By Rod McGuirk, Associated Press

May 28, 2024

MELBOURNE, Australia -- A man accused of running naked down the aisle of an Australian domestic flight, knocking down a flight attendant and forcing the plane to turn back, was arrested by police at the airport, officials said on Tuesday.

The incident happened early in what was scheduled to be a 3 hour and 30 minute Virgin Australia flight on Monday night from the west coast city of Perth to Melbourne on the east coast.

Flight VA696 returned to Perth Airport due to a “disruptive passenger,” an airline statement said.

Australian Federal Police officers were waiting for the plane and “the disruptive guest was offloaded,” Virgin said.

Police said “officers arrested a man after he allegedly ran naked through the aircraft mid-flight and knocked a crew member to the floor.”

“The man was transferred to hospital for assessment, where he remains,” a police statement said.

It was not clear how or where on the plane the passenger removed his clothes.

Police expect to order the man by summons to appear in a Perth court on June 14. What charges he will face have yet to be finalized.

The airline apologized to “guests impacted,” adding the safety of passengers and crew was its top priority.

Both the airline and police declined comment beyond their statements.

Australian Broadcasting Corp. reported that it understood nobody was injured during the incident.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... -110601326