Where were you?

Gaybutton

Where were you?

Post by Gaybutton »

The assassination of President John F. Kennedy is very much back in the news as the 50th anniversary of the shooting approaches. If you're interested, there is a poll about it on the "Polls" forum (see: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6188 )

Most who are old enough can remember exactly where they were and what they were doing when they first heard the news. I remember it as if it was 5 minutes ago. I was in class at school when the principal's voice came over the intercom. I still remember exactly what she said. "Boys and girls, teachers and staff, I'm interrupting class with terrible news. President Kennedy is dead." There was a pause while we all were instantly shocked. "He was shot and killed in Texas an hour ago. I know nothing more that that. In 10 minutes I will ring the dismissal bell and I want everyone to go right home."

My poor teacher was just as shocked as we were. I remember him saying, "There's nothing we can do about it. She is right. When she rings the bell, everybody just go home." One girl asked, "Are we at war?" The teacher just shook his head and never gave a verbal response.

How about you? Where were you and what were you doing when you first heard?
Bob

Re: Where were you?

Post by Bob »

In high school (a sophomore then) and, although I don't remember how we all were told (I don't recall a PA announcement), I do know that all or most of us were in the rec room watching the television coverage shortly after we were told. We must have started watching tv rather quickly as I remember (or at least think I remember) Walter Cronkite announcing the President's death.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I was in the USAF stationed in England. It was evening there and I was at the base theater watching Diamond Head. They stopped the movie to tell us what had happened. To this day I have never seen the end of that movie. I don't know why.
loke

Post by loke »

My mom and dad had not met yet so I was only a ghost back then .

So now you know I am younger than 50.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

I was in class at school, myself.

My almost overly-professional acting instructor answered the buzz from the in-house phone system that day, heard "the news", told us all to review the chapter we'd already just discussed and went out into the hallway for a few minutes. When he came back in, it was obvious he'd been crying; puffy, red eyes and blotchy face. He called us back into order and sat down on his desk in the front of the room. Although he had a difficult time doing so, he held his composure to tell us what little was known publicly about it at the time.

Those of us that had a parent at home and lived close enough to walk there were excused for the rest of the afternoon.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

I had driven up to Stanford, my alma mater, to attend Big Game - the traditional rivalry between Stanford and Cal. As I was walking across campus I noticed groups of students clustered together and several crying. I asked what was going on and was told the news. I ran to the dorms, joined several friends who were still students there, and spent the next several days glued to the TV.
crabby

Post by crabby »

I was pooping my cloth diapers in Charlotte.
jason105

Post by jason105 »

I was in the US Navy, attending technical school in Pensacola Florida. We had just completed class for the day and as I returned to the dorm, the television was tuned to the broadcast by Walter Cronkite. We stood there in stunned silence, unable to process what the unbelievable event could mean...to the nation, the world, and because we were very human, what would happen to us? Because we were so far away from our families, we only had each other, the instructors and none of us seemed able to make any sense of it.

I remember being glued to the television, unable to tear myself away, focusing on every detail, hoping against hope that some, as yet unrevealed, detail would render this incomprehensible event, at the very least, understandable. Unfortunately, the more the coverage continued...the reports from the hospital...the swearing-in of LBJ aboard Air Force One...Jackie, refusing to take the pink suit off...the military hearse taking his coffin away from the plane...all of these things were seen in a state of numbness and disbelief. The shock was so great that although I recall vividly what I was thinking, feeling and experiencing, I have no recollection whatsoever of my fellow students, not just what they were feeling, etc, but who they were. The shock etched those days into my consciousness, blotting out and blurring all other input.

Clearly, I haven't thought of this in quite some time and to do so now, only confirms how earth-shattering it was for me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

jason105 wrote:I haven't thought of this in quite some time and to do so now, only confirms how earth-shattering it was for me.
Not many events still profoundly affect so many people so many years later. About a week ago I watched a commentary by Bob Schieffer on CBS news in which I think he really latched onto something when he was talking about why the whole incident still has such an impact. He said Kennedy was the first president that we really knew - and in technicolor. Prior to Kennedy people didn't really get to know presidents as real people. But Kennedy was different. We not only saw him as a president, but we got to know him, along with his wife and family. And then, once people saw the famous Zapruder film and saw the assassination as it actually happened, that dramatically deepened the impact even further. I think, even now, we had gotten to know Kennedy and his personal life far better than any other president before or since.

Even Khrushchev, only a year after the Cuban missile crisis, went to the US embassy in Moscow to sign the condolence book. I've seen interviews with khrushchev's son, who says khrushchev was truly as deeply upset by the assassination as anybody. I believe that.

I was watching news coverage with my father when Lee Harvey Oswald was suddenly shot. My father cried out, "Oh my God! Somebody just shot Oswald." From our kitchen I heard my mother instantly respond by shouting out "GOOD!"

Of course, now I wish Oswald had survived to stand trial and, if he had lived, I would think many of the questions and controversies that still exist would long since have been resolved. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

I heard about it when out shopping with my parents in Manchester. Although I was living in England by that time my family were living in Montreal at the time of the 1960 Presidential election which we all followed with interest, so Kennedy didn't seem as remote to us as it might have seemed to many other Brits.
Gaybutton wrote:
I've seen interviews with khrushchev's son, who says khrushchev was truly as deeply upset by the assassination as anybody.
There was a fascinating programme a few days ago on British TV about the Cuban Missile Crisis. There were so many things that could have gone the other way. I think there's a good case to be made for thinking if we could rewind the clock and the whole episode were to be rerun, the outcome could have been worldwide Armageddon. Khrushchev's son was interviewed in that programme and came across as very believable.