Farang insurance dilemmas building up

Anything and everything about Thailand
Daniel

Re: Farang insurance dilemmas building up

Post by Daniel »

Rogie wrote:Daniel, I don't understand where you get the figure of £690 a month guaranteed pension - that's a lot higher than the quoted 'maximum basic state pension' of £122 a week.
If you had no savings, the Pension Guarantee Credit would top up your monthly income if it’s below £690.51

Rogie wrote:In some parts of the country it's not so easy to register with an NHS dental practice.
You’re right, but NHS England commissions dental services in England and is required by law to meet your needs for both urgent and routine dental care. If you have difficulty registering with an NHS dentist, call NHS England's Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I believe the person Fountainhall is referring to was LetMeTellU, aka LMTU. I'm sure many remember him. I don't know whether he had any medical insurance at all, but he died miserably in Bangkok. He had no money. If he had medical insurance, they wouldn't cover his illness or he had exhausted it or it was the type of insurance that requires laying out the money first and waiting for a reimbursement. That's fine if you have enough money to lay out.

No hospital was willing to help him and no one gave him money enough to return to the UK.
Yes it was LMTU. I recall he had had a course of treatment for throat cancer at Chulaongkorn Hospital and wrote about it in one or more of the chat rooms. I believe it may concerned a serious case of HPV and he did everyone a service by drawing attention to this illness. He also mentioned that as Chulalongkorn is a teaching hospital, treatment there tends to be cheaper than but as good as other hospitals like Bumrungrad and BNH.

But again - if I recall correctly - he mentioned he had had to pay out a very large sum for that treatment. Whether this was from an insurance company or his own savings, I do not know. Certainly when he was nearing the end of his life, he was being looked after by friends in Bangkok. He had no money for an airfare home. But I do wonder if, having been an expat for a long time, he would have been accepted at an NHS hospital for what would certainly have required expensive and possibly long-term treatment? That I cannot answer.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Daniel - thank you very much for your information. It is all extremely useful, even though I hope leaving Asia at any time can be avoided.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

thaiworthy wrote:Just to make things clear, this is a travel policy, not to be confused with any expats' health insurance long-term medical policy.
"Travel insurance is designed for holidaymakers to cover cancellations, personal belongings and emergency medical treatment,
The policy I have with LMG is a Health Insurance Policy not Travelers Insurance as you suggested. My policy does not cover things like flight cancellations, personal belongings, etc. like travelers insurance policies do, and is not limited to emergency services. As I stated, the policy covers 1 million THB max per medical incident (no deductible) for inpatient services.

I had to undergo major eye surgery last year at Rutnin Eye Hospital Bangkok. The charges for the surgery and my inpatient stay at the hospital totaled 230,000 baht. LMG covered this cost 100%. I paid 18,000 baht total out-of-pocket for outpatient services, i.e. removal of stitches in cornea (ouch), follow-up retina scans, eye drop prescriptions, etc.

I did not have to take a physical when obtaining the LMG policy.

LMG and Pacific Cross are not the same Company.

Ironically, I plan to switch from LMG to Pacific Cross when I retire because they have a policy which costs twice as much but provides quadruple the coverage.

Living in Thailand without health insurance coverage is a risk I don't plan on taking.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Risk Management

Health Insurance in Thailand

Low Risk Accident (<50,000 THB) Motorbike Insurance Coverage
Low Risk Health (<50,000 THB) Pay Out-of-Pocket (Thai Bank Account)
Medium Risk (50,000 - 1,000,000 THB) (LMG Universal Plan 3)
High Risk (>1,000,000 THB) LMG + U.S. Medicare (Round Trip Airline Ticket...One Way if I'm really Fucked Up)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote:Low Risk Accident (<50,000 THB) Motorbike Insurance Coverage
Accident insurance for motorbikes is considered low risk? In Thailand?!?!?

I hope those motorbike nitwits plaguing Soi Yensabai and Soi VC have motorbike accident insurance - and will need to use it . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Low risk in terms of COST not Frequency of Occurrence.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Gaybutton wrote:That comes across as if you are assuming the person even has money enough for airfare to get back home.
Of course, the sensible thing to do would be to return home, before you are completely out of money. Perhaps your last 15'000 baht should be kept for a one-way, economy ticket to the UK. It is a shame, in the specific case you mentioned, that the gentleman had no friends or family back in the UK who could stump up the price of a ticket, if he had exhausted his own funds, but I accept his situation was not unique. All the available help in the UK is of no use, if you can't get there.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

fountainhall wrote:My premium now is Bt. 87,000
I should have added that I opted for private room accommodation. With standard ward accommodation the premium would be around Bt. 25,000 - 30,000 less.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Some may also wish to consider the insurance I'm carrying - Cigna Global.

A bit over US $4000 annually for the premium, payable annually, semi annually, quarterly, or monthly. Automatic bank account deduction is available.

Several choices and options. My deductible is US $375.

US $1-million coverage per insurance year.

No physical exam required. You simply fill out a medical history questionnaire. Don't try to lie, cheat, or withhold information. Don't conveniently "forget" anything. They'll find out.

The insurance covers you anywhere in the world except your home country. The expat insurance is available only if you are outside of your home country 70% of the year, or more.

Some preexisting condition coverage is available. You would have to negotiate that with the insurance company.

I opted out of dental and outpatient. I carry only inpatient care.

The insurance covers a semi-private room. If you want a private room, you have to pay the difference yourself.

No age limit for renewal, although the premium price goes up a couple hundred dollars every year.

Excellent service. When I was hospitalized a few months ago, the approval was received in less than 2 hours.

You pay nothing up front, not even the deductible. The insurance company pays the hospital directly. You don't pay even the deductible until the hospital releases you.

If you are interested, do NOT contact their Bangkok office. You will be doing everything through their Scotland office. You can call +44 (0)1475 788182 or contact via their web site at: http://www.cignaglobal.com