I'd Appreciate Some Hotel Recommendations

Anything and everything about Thailand
surfside66

I'd Appreciate Some Hotel Recommendations

Post by surfside66 »

Dear Gaybutton posters,
After a 17 year absence, I will be returning to Pattaya for a vacation in November and will be traveling with a good friend who's never been. I'm seeking your advice and expertise on the very subjective matter of hotel recommendations. 17 years ago I stayed at the "Ambiance" in Boyztown. Although I enjoyed its central location for gay nightlife, I was a tad put off by the (then) lack of fire safety i.e. sprinklers and hallways that were maze-like. (I've survived one hotel fire in Las Vegas and a condo fire in West Hollywood...so I'm skittish).

My traveling companion likes upscale gay-owned or gay-friendly adult accommodations which have western style amenities, neither of us care much for misbehaving children nor the parents that come with them. Having never been to the Jomtien Complex, something in that neighborhood might be appealing but don't want to limit options. A beachfront resort might be an option, however the screaming children issue rears its ugly head unless the property is very high end (high end not a problem). I don't want to have any problems getting offs into my room, so that figures strongly into my decisions. If you gentlemen would be so kind to give me five or six suggestions with pros and cons...I'd be most appreciative. BTW, not looking for an Airbnb experience.
Cheers,
Surf
Up2u

Re: I'd Appreciate Some Hotel Recommendations

Post by Up2u »

Lots of choices, Baan Suoy (between BT and Jomtien). In the JC (now called Supertown), The Agate or Zing Resort or Poseidon; on Dongtan beach itself, The Rabbit Resort or Welcome World. In November, the kiddies are still in school so shouldn't be much of an issue. If lucky you can experience Loi Kratong, my favorite Thai holiday although probably low key again this year with the King's funeral.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

On the few occasions I visit Pattaya I have mostly stayed at The Rabbit Resort. This is a gay friendly, Thai-style beach resort right on its own part of Dongtan beach and close to Jomtien complex. Never had any problem with joiners. Accommodation is in two-storey Thai-style houses. Each has very large rooms, balconies and bathrooms with equally large shower area. Since it is in its own forest-type location, the lower rooms are a little darker than those above- the ones I always ask for. I have seen families occasionally stay there but they generally stay close to a kids pool away from the accommodations. The Rabbit has a good buffet breakfast and the restaurant meals are also very good and reasonably priced. If you don't want to walk back along the beach road late at night, they give you a number to call and a small buggy will collect you within a few minutes. It is probably the most expensive of the accommodations suggested by Up2u but it is certainly a more Thai-style experience!

http://www.rabbitresort.com
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

After a 17 year hiatus you surley will be surprised...what a difference 17 years makes.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

First attempt failed so I am re-posting: Rabbit Resort. A flood of memories. About ten years ago during their first phase of building the villas, I purchased the plot, now House 107, and with the collaboration of the owner, Khun Paisan, designed my two story villa. I think they call it a Super Villa now. The last I heard it was $300+ per night. Ground floor has kitchen/living/dining/laundry rooms, in addition to a small bedroom and bathroom. Upstairs is a quite large bedroom, bath, and a smaller bedroom. Khun Paisan and his American wife, Khun Deborah, are always the most pleasant and helpful of hosts. Beach side restaurant is all that one could hope for.

Eventually, I decided that I preferred one of the View Talay villas, each with a small private swimming pool for more intimate encounters, so I sold the Rabbit house back to the owners. In retrospect, I probably should have kept the house as the income indeed became “super”, but my real estate ventures have always been marked by serious errors of judgment.

Yes, do consider a stay at Rabbit. I can’t think of a single drawback or shortcoming.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

If you are happy to stay well away from Central Pattaya, then the above recommendations are appropriate. However, the journey from Jomtien to Boyztown, Sunee and the best shopping and restaurants is not always easy, particularly at night. The increase in traffic will astonish you, as will the increase in the size and extent of Jomtien itself.
You may recall Jomtien beach, at least the gay concessions, being excitingly "cruisey" seventeen years ago. Be prepared for disappointments there.

As far as fire safety is concerned, the penthouse rooms at Ambiance have a fire escape ladder ....if you are nimble enough to use it.
mahjongguy

Post by mahjongguy »

My vote goes to the Avalon Beach Resort. It's on the Dong Tarn beach walk. The November price for an Executive Suite is about 6,700 baht. The pool is huge and looks out across (what used to be) the gay beach.
https://www.agoda.com/avalon-beach-reso ... 4#lightbox
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Inevitably when you seek recommendations you will get some contrary opinions. I did once stay at the Avalon in a normal room. We disliked the room a lot and the breakfast!! But it was a few years ago now and perhaps it's been spruced up. The suites certainly will be much better. It is still a large hotel, though, so expect a lot of tourists.

My other recommendation that I forgot about earlier is Le Prive where I have stayed twice. If you seek peace and quiet in a gay friendly atmosphere (the French owner is gay), this six cabana hotel is delightful. The cabanas are set around a pool, the rooms are decorated in Thai/Balinese style, the bathrooms are fine although not spectacular and an American breakfast is served whenever you get up and are ready for it! There is no cafe and so apart from breakfast only drinks are served in the small lounge area. Joiners are almost encouraged. The gate on to Thappraya Soi 1 is closed at 10:00 pm but guests are given a key and so can return at any time.

Sunee Plaza is about 15 minutes walk away should there be any difficulty with transport back. Boystown about another 10 minutes. Some good restaurants quite close by.

http://www.le-prive-pattaya.com/home-page

travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

I would recommend:Baan Souy Resort ...
In South Pattaya midway between Boyztown and Dongtan Beach/Jomtien Complex.

Owned and managed by Jim Lumsden, formerly of Ambiance Hotel/BoyzBoyzBoyz.
Madame Jim will be the perfect host for your stay in Pattaya.
http://www.baansouy.com/

Tj
surfside66

Post by surfside66 »

Dear Gaybutton Thai posters,
Thank you for your recommendations, they've been most helpful.
Cheers!
Surf