Military issues LB recruit guide

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Military issues LB recruit guide

Post by readerc54 »

Excerpts from Khaosod English

BANGKOK — “Boys who look like angels.” “Men excited over two beautiful ladyboys on draft day.” “Even prettier than ‘real women.’”

Those were some of the headlines one year ago from 72 stories in Thai-language media during the annual military conscription, 69 of which reflected the obsession with young trans women who, advocates say, are experiencing a stressful and potentially degrading experience.

With the annual conscription lottery soon to begin, members of the media, government and LGBT community gathered Wednesday in Bangkok to discuss new guidelines for better treatment of transgender recruits.

Thailand may be known for its open sexual diversity, yet the widespread inequality and discrimination toward its LGBT population were largely ignored until recent years

In past years, the draft has seen painful episodes with kathoeys verbally and sometimes physically abused by officers and other men. Some have been sexually propositioned or asked to bare their breasts publicly, while others were asked to give massages to or serve male officers.

Col. Somphol said guidelines went out in recent weeks on proper treatment of transgender recruits, including the need to provide closed, private spaces for examination, not calling them out as “Mr.” or asking inappropriate – or irrelevant – questions about their gender identity.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/ ... ans-women/
Dodger

Re: Military issues LB recruit guide

Post by Dodger »

They are truly beautiful as far as I'm concerned, although look a lot less innocent when wearing bar clothes.

Something must have changed that I'm not aware of because in the past ladyboys who had large breast were not accepted in the military. I knew one boy who was gay but not a ladyboy who took hormone tablets for two years to enlarge his breasts for the sole purpose of not being selected in the military. Ironically, he picked a black ball on draft selection day and wouldn't have been drafted in the military to begin with and walked away having tits that he didn't want. Oh well, you have to give him an "A" for effort.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

From The Nation

Four transvestites added colour to the annual military conscription ceremony in the northeastern province of Nakhon Phanom Tuesday.

They reported to the event wearing women’s clothing. Since they have not yet undergone a sex change operations, the military conscription chief of the Muang Nakhon Phanom district put them on a list of men yet to be cleared for military service.

After they were examined by doctors, they were sent home and told to come back with a medical certificate next year confirming they had undergone a sex-change operation.

Thitawan Puengton, who arrived at the ceremony wearing a short skirt and a T-shirt with a plunging neckline, said she had been working as a cabaret girl in South Pattaya.

Ketmori Suradee, 22, who wore a red strapless dress, said she is working as a showgirl at the Coliseum Pattaya and had undergone a breast operation.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30311286
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Dodger wrote:They are truly beautiful as far as I'm concerned, although look a lot less innocent when wearing bar clothes.

Something must have changed that I'm not aware of because in the past ladyboys who had large breast were not accepted in the military. I knew one boy who was gay but not a ladyboy who took hormone tablets for two years to enlarge his breasts for the sole purpose of not being selected in the military. Ironically, he picked a black ball on draft selection day and wouldn't have been drafted in the military to begin with and walked away having tits that he didn't want. Oh well, you have to give him an "A" for effort.
I would think if the balcony has been remodeled and the orchestra pit remains intact, and he likes Tchaikovsky, then the military would look elsewhere for their manpower needs.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote:the military would look elsewhere for their manpower needs.
A Thai boy, a friend who lives in the boondocks of Khon Kaen, sent me several messages over the past couple days. He is very upset. He drew a red ball during his local conscription lottery and now he has to join the military a month from now.

I tried to console him by telling him that after basic training, quite often they send many of the boys home. They just don't have anything for them to do and it's less expensive for the military to send them home rather than keep them and try to conjure up busy work for them. I know that to be true. Anyway, my attempt to console him didn't work.

The only reason, and in my opinion a valid reason, they conscript lady boys too is to prevent boys from becoming lady boys in an attempt to avoid military service. My guess is many of the lady boys end up getting sent home too.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Gaybutton wrote:The only reason, and in my opinion a valid reason, they conscript lady boys too is to prevent boys from becoming lady boys in an attempt to avoid military service.
Shame it doesn't work all that often.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Judging by the expressions of other recruits, this LB wouldn't want for company if inducted.

From The Daily Mail (UK)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... iland.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Actually I don't really know why lady boys are sometimes rejected from military service. Even the photos show female military personnel. Maybe the basic training makes it too awkward and the military will accept only biological females.