Give them a wide berth

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Give them a wide berth

Post by readerc54 »

Today's Post carries the account of 25 people being killed in a two-vehicle crash in Chon Buri. Police think one of the vehicles (a van and a pick-up) was carrying a propane tank, not an unusual condition in Thailand. I post this to raise awareness of the danger this gas, and how it's casually stored and transported in LOS.

Propane (liquefied petroleum gas, LPG), has different physical properties than does natural gas that westerners are more likely to be familiar with. The biggest difference is that it's heavier than air whereas and is slower to dissipate when released from the tank by leak, accident or error in handling. The gas will tend to sink until it meet resistance (i.e., road, floor) and then moves horizontally. The bottom line: it remains in its explosive range (right mixture of gas and air) longer and subject to ignition. And in a road accident, there are ample sources of ignition.

When traveling on the roads of Thailand, it's common to see tanks being transported on the back of motor bikes, tuk-tuks, pick-ups and all manner of vehicle. These are frequently poorly secured and they are often in the horizontal position. However, for the pressure relief valve that allows tanks that become over pressurized due to heat to return the pressure level to a safe range to work, the tank needs to be mounted upright. Over pressure can cause the tank to explode and the resulting explosion will resemble a bomb proportional in size to the volume of gas.

Ex-pats may use LPG for their barbecue grills and are more familiar with safe use and handling. In any case, here are some precautions that should be taken: don't store them inside your home; don't store them inside your car; keep them upright at all times; don't use old, rusting tanks or connections.

Most roadside food stalls use LPG. Even if vendors takes all safety precautions, they can't protect the tanks from vehicles that may be driven into them as a result of an accident. I'd choose a table as far away from the cooking area as possible.

If you're driving behind a vehicle carrying an LPG container, give them a wide berth. View the tank as a stick of dynamite and that should guide you.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... catch-fire
Rogie

Re: Give them a wide berth

Post by Rogie »

A terrible accident. Thank you for alerting us to the dangers of propane. Is the fuel described the same as some taxis in Thailand use? I assume it must be as many fuel stations are marked as LPG. You often see a tank in the boot (trunk) of the taxi those times you're carrying a suitcase.

Regular readers will know just how dangerous Thailand's roads are in general; more specifically the long distance buses (the double-decker ones) are pretty bad with a dreadful safety record, but I've travelled on these many times as they are cheap and convenient when you can't drive yourself or don't wish to travel a long way by taxi. However, the kind of vehicle involved in this accident has a much much worse track record of deadly accidents. Many people refuse to use them for good reason.

So, give both of them a wide berth:

1) as described in the OP
2) minivans

http://driving-in-thailand.com/accident ... -minivans/
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Rogie wrote:Is the fuel described the same as some taxis in Thailand use?
Not necessarily. Many vehicle manufacturers make bikes, cars, trucks and buses fueled by compressed natural gas (CNG). However, LPG-fueled vehicles are also marketed along with gasoline-powered ones. I think that CNG has become the more popular choice in recent years.

Here's a description of safety considerations of the gas published by Consumer Reports (the Department of Energy cited below is a department of the US federal government):
The Department of Energy says vehicles powered by natural gas are as safe as conventional gasoline or diesel vehicles, and their pressurized tanks have been designed to withstand severe impact, temperature, and environmental exposure. CNG is lighter than air, so if fuel were to escape in a crash, it would evaporate rather than create a puddle under the car. While the gas is escaping the storage tank, it is highly volatile. But once the gas has evaporated, the fire danger is diminished. In contrast, a gasoline spill remains a danger until the pooled liquid is removed. 

As for the potentially scary business of home refueling, BRC FuelMaker Corp. of Italy, says that the unit will not operate if it is not connected properly and that a built-in sensor shuts it down if the system senses a methane leak or any other malfunction. The manufacturer also says the device is considered a home appliance by municipalities, like a hot-water heater or gas dryer. Still, it would be wise to check with local authorities before making the investment.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Since we're on the topic of transportation fuels to be aware of, it's worthwhile to be aware that some marine vessels use yet another product; liquefied natural gas (LNG). I became aware of its use in Thailand in March of 2016 when a commuter boat on khlong Saen Saep in Bangkok experienced what was described as an LNG explosion just after docking at a stop in Bang Kapi district, injuring 60.

I don't believe it was an actual explosion but rather a leak of fuel from the tank that ignited in what's better described as a flash fire because LNG cannot explode once it's released from containment. During the video in second link below you can see white vapor escaping from the top of the fuel tank. That is most likely cooler LNG dispersing in the warmer air.

What I hope readers will take away from this post is not paranoia about the fuels all about us but rather respect and awareness of their properties.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/lea ... -explosion

odd

Post by odd »

'Rogie' mentions that SOME taxis use LPG/CNG- are there any that do not ? Maybe one or two private ones, but no more than that.Taxi fares would soar if they used gasoline.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

I want to preface this post by saying that I've never rented, owned or driven a car in Thailand--nor do I ever plan to.

In the LOS, the government and industry got together years ago to make other fuels (LPG, CNG, LNG) more widely available and more economical with heavy subsidies. How familiar the average Thai or ex-pat is with the fuel system in the cars I'm sure varies as it does in other countries. But I believe that most of us fall into the "just tell me how to fill the damn thing" category. Fueling our car is something we just want to get done with so we don't run out on the road.

Sensing some interest in the topic, I went to Wikipedia for a one-stop answer that describes the types of fuels and their pros and cons (see link below). Along the way I found some other info about the evolution of fuel policies in Thailand and factors that influence vehicle owners in their choice of fuels. What surprised me most was the high incidence of after-market conversions. That raises the issue of the qualifications of who's doing the conversions (i.e., dealer, local shop or individual owner). In any case, conversion kits are widely available on line and elsewhere.

If you have the interest, I hope this helps. It's certainly been an education for me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_fuel_vehicle
Jun

Post by Jun »

I read that sales of LPG cars were falling in Thailand, as the fuel no longer has the price advantage it once had.

As for the main topic, there are loads of safety hazards in Thailand.
I wouldn't worry unnecessarily about a repeat of one high profile accident. It's rather like people fearing shark attacks, but ignoring all the much higher probability but less memorable ways of dying.

One of my pet hates is the standing space on the back of baht buses. We have all probably seen shunts where one vehicle runs in the back of another at low speed and no one is hurt. However, I presume anyone standing on the back of a baht bus never walks again after someone runs in the back of that.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

In this video from the US state of Kentucky, a small LPG tank being transported in the bed of a pickup began to leak and the escaping fuel ignited. The driver pulls into a lot and runs from the truck. The fire heats the contents of the tank and the pressure relief valve begins venting gas under pressure that ignites like a blow torch. Due to the high heat, the relief valve cannot vent the pressure quickly enough and what's technically known as a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) occurs nears the end of the video.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:I presume anyone standing on the back of a baht bus never walks again after someone runs in the back of that.
Probably never breathes again either . . .

And speaking of road safety:

Police arrest 59,000 for drink driving

5 Jan 2017

More than 59,000 people have been arrested for drink-driving and driving while unfit and more than 4,200 vehicles have been seized over the past six days of the New Year's "seven dangerous days" road safety campaign, National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) deputy spokesman Sirichan Ngathong said.

On Tuesday alone when people returned to Bangkok from their long New Year's holiday out of town, a total of 7,370 motorcycle riders were arrested for drink-driving with 458 vehicles seized.

A total of 38,168 motorcycle riders and 20,889 drivers are facing legal action following arrests with 2,965 motorcycles and 1,243 cars being impounded between Dec 29, 2016 and Tuesday, Col Sirichan said Wednesday.

The final toll of the seven-day highway carnage is to be released Thursday.

While a total of 3,924 drivers were arrested for violating traffic regulations with 132 cars being impounded, she added.

Launched by military officers, the New Year's "seven dangerous days" road safety campaign runs between Dec 29, 2016 and Thursday with the objective of urging road users to strictly follow traffic regulations to help cut the number of accidents.

Reckless driving and driving while unfit were still the main reasons behind road accidents, Col Sirichan said.

This year, authorities adopted tougher measures to cut the number of accidents and intensified their efforts to prevent accidents.

However, a horrific crash between a public van and a pickup truck was reported on Monday in Chon Buri, leaving 25 dead.

Meanwhile, a total of 3,579 road accidents were reported with 426 fatalities 3,761 injuries between Dec 29, 2016 and Tuesday, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Lt Gen Theerawat Boonyawat, who also represents the NCPO, announced the road accident figures Wednesday.

The province with most fatalities was Chon Buri (33), of which 25 were in a single van-pickup collision on Monday. There are five provinces -- Phangnga, Mae Hong Son, Yala, Ranong and Satun -- with no road fatalities.

The province with the most injuries was Udon Thani (156), he said.

Meanwhile, Chayapon Thitisak, deputy permanent secretary for the Interior Ministry, said provincial governors are required to submit reports on the number of accidents, casualties and injuries in their provinces including an analysis on what caused the accidents.

The figures will be used as reference points for officials who will find ways to cut the number of road accidents during festivals, he added. Earlier, the ministry ordered provincial governors to set up road safety centres to record accidents.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... nk-driving
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

readerc54 wrote:In this video from the US state of Kentucky, a small LPG tank being transported in the bed of a pickup began to leak and the escaping fuel ignited. The driver pulls into a lot and runs from the truck. The fire heats the contents of the tank and the pressure relief valve begins venting gas under pressure that ignites like a blow torch. Due to the high heat, the relief valve cannot vent the pressure quickly enough and what's technically known as a boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion (BLEVE) occurs nears the end of the video.

And....

https://www.quora.com/LPG-cars-is-there ... -to-petrol