Linking mobile phones to Thai bank accounts

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Linking mobile phones to Thai bank accounts

Post by Jun »

Usually when I try to set up overseas roaming (calls) on a Thai SIM, it has failed.
One year, I went to the True shop near Tuk Com. After noticing they had about 6 staff, only one of whom was serving customers, eventually my turn came. They told me it was done, but as I had zero confidence, I asked the True people at the airport to fix it.

I got home & the SIM was not working. As far as I know, there is no way to check this when I am in Thailand.

Since setting a SIM up for overseas roaming (calls) is unreliable, should I just link my UK phone number to the Thai bank account (Kasikorn)? If the banks go along with this. I guess some others have tried it ?
Gaybutton

Re: Linking mobile phones to Thai bank accounts

Post by Gaybutton »

Instead of going to Tuk Com or True, have you tried going to a K-Bank branch? Maybe they can set it up for you.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Jun wrote:Since setting a SIM up for overseas roaming (calls) is unreliable, should I just link my UK phone number to the Thai bank account (Kasikorn)? If the banks go along with this. I guess some others have tried it ?
I would be surprised if that were possible. Admittedly, I only checked with two banks (Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank) and several years ago, so it might be worth checking with them again.

As for roaming, I've never had a problem setting that up. But the tricky part is really that it cannot be tested from within Thailand, unless you visit a border area and select a foreign network manually.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Sorry, just noticed my opening post is rather badly written.

I have no problem linking my Thai phone no to my Kasikorn account at Kasikorn branch.

Where I have had problems is using my Thai SIM when leaving Thailand. True have never managed it. One of the other companies did, but I forget which.

Hence I'm contemplating linking an overseas SIM to my bank account as a solution. I wonder if anyone else has tried this?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

When I go to the US I switch my True sim card for a Verizon one. I bring a paper clip with me as well. As soon as the plane lands in the US gateway city, I run the Verizon iOS app and top it up $45 for a month's worth of calls and data. Never have a problem, get the same phone number I've always had, and I do this twice a year. Returning to Thailand, I reverse the procedure. Works like a charm. Roaming (with True in the US) is prohibitively expensive.

I also have a Bualang banking app so I can check my Thai balance anywhere. Not sure what linking a mobile phone to a Thai bank account has to do with phone use overseas. This procedure works for me if all you want to do is use your phone in other parts of the world.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Where I have had problems is using my Thai SIM when leaving Thailand.
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. If the only reason for using roaming is to access your Thai bank account, why bother with that at all? If you haven't done so, all you have to do is go to a branch of your bank and set up online banking. Then you can fully access and do transactions from any computer in the world - including your mobile phone if it has internet access. Most Thai banks have free smartphone apps for just that purpose. Kasikorn (K-Bank) does. I often use their app for my own access to my K-Bank account.

With some banks you no longer even need to go to a branch to set up online banking. Some will let you set up the whole thing online.

Unless I'm still misunderstanding, why not do it that way instead of bothering with, along with having to pay for, roaming?

Even if you have some other reason for using roaming, again why bother? With free apps such as Skype you can make calls to Thailand telephone numbers for far less expensive prices than roaming.

Whatever it is you're trying to do, it seems to me you can do it far less expensively than roaming. Roaming would be my last choice and would only be my choice if all else fails.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

LKAsians wrote:My guess is that he wants to be able to use the one time passwords from the bank??? That is the only reason you would need phone contact!!
That makes sense, but there are still some banks that will send the one time passwords by Email if you arrange it. I don't know if K-Bank is one of them, but one time passwords are usually only required for transferring money to somebody else's account or paying certain bills.

Even then you might not need roaming. You need roaming for placing calls. I don't know if you need roaming to receive a one time password if the bank will send it to a foreign telephone number. Maybe they will if they can deduct the cost of the call from your Thai bank account. I don't know what Thais do when they're in another country and need a one time password.

In any case, the best way to try to arrange whatever is needed is to go to a bank branch. And, as usual, if you don't get the answer you want at one branch, try another branch.

Also, most banks have a service number. Maybe by calling the service number arrangements can be made. Kasikorn's service number is 02-8888888.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Kasikorn sends the OTP to my registered Thai SIM.
So it all falls over when I leave Thailand.

To keep the functionality and avoid the risk if my old phone no gets recycled for another user, giving Kasikorn my overseas mobile number is one solution. If they accept that.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote:Kasikorn sends the OTP to my registered Thai SIM.
That is why I keep suggesting that you talk to the bank, explain the problem, and see what kinds of solutions, if any, they can provide.

Then, let us know what they tell you.

Also, if roaming turns out to be the only way to solve your problem, and True doesn't do roaming, try 1-2-Call and DTAC.

If everything else fails, there is still one more way you can get the OTP without roaming. If you have someone in Thailand willing to cooperate, you can have the OTP sent to his phone and then he immediately sends the OTP to you by Email, text message, or however you want to do it. There would not be a security issue because without your account number and password, he can't get into your account by receiving the OTP. You would have to coordinate with him because depending on the bank, the OTP expires anywhere from 3 to 10 minutes.
Oldbear

Post by Oldbear »

I have DTAC and when I leave here I still get messages on the phone, have never applied for roaming but the phone works. In the US it goes thru T-mobile