Slain Foreigner Investigation Continues

Anything and everything about Thailand
readerc54

Slain Foreigner Investigation Continues

Post by readerc54 »

BANGKOK - A diver found with his throat slashed and tied to a post in the middle of the sea near a seedy beach resort may be Russian, police said Monday. The body, in a full wetsuit and flippers, was found on Friday tethered to a mooring post dozens of metres out to sea off Koh Larn -- an island near the sleazy, crime-ridden beach town of Pattaya.

"The initial autopsy found his throat was slashed... but the forensic doctor said it could have happened by suicide or by someone cutting him," Pattaya police colonel Apichai Krobpetch told AFP.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/11 ... is-russian
Undaunted

Re: Slain Foreigner Investigation Continues

Post by Undaunted »

readerc54 wrote:BANGKOK - The body, in a full wetsuit and flippers, was found on Friday tethered to a mooring post dozens of metres out to sea off Koh Larn -- an island near the sleazy, crime-ridden beach town of Pattaya.
I beg your pardon :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Most likely it will be ruled a suicide . . .
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Obviously suicide and will be forgotten in no time at all. Damn good at disguising it these Russians.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote:Obviously suicide and will be forgotten in no time at all.
It wouldn't be the first time. I remember several years ago a body was found in the bay. It was found weighed down and hands tied behind the back. That was ruled a suicide.

Maybe it was someone who got on the wrong side of the local mafia. Around here, that's suicide . . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Obvious, a propeller from a motorboat hit him.
Moses

Post by Moses »

yeah... /irony ON/ "tied to a post in the middle of the sea" - it is typical suicide... /irony OFF/

also I like stupid conclusion:
"We believe he could be Russian... there are witnesses who said they heard him earlier speaking Russian," he said, adding they were seeking consular help to identify the man.
yes-yes - all who speaking Russian are Russians - even when they aren't... only in Russia are living 169 nations who are using Russian as a language for international communication, but also in world are living Ukrainians, Belorussians and about 30+ nations of formerly USSR, who will speak Russian as well...

"he speaking English" so for sure he is from USA....
Local private gay guides and companions
[*] in South East Asia http://siamroads.com
[*] in Thailand http://bkktour.info/
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

I reread the original news account cited in the beginning of this post in its entirety. A few things strikes me about it: (1) it was written by a reporter for a French news agency (AFP: Agence France-Presse) apparently stationed in Bangkok; (2) the writer exercised a bit of editorial license in his description of the area and those drawn to it.

Perhaps some parts of Pattaya are sleazy, not that there's anything wrong with that. Yes, I'm sure there are some sections we would agree are ridden with more than their share of crime. But when the writer observes that the "town is popular with Russian holidaymakers, who are met with Russian-speaking staff in some hotels and menus and street signs written in their language". I have to ask couldn't we substitute "Russian" with "American, British, Australian, Chinese" and have the rest of the sentence ring true?

And, yes, the Russians are clever. But I believe all of us would like to think of ourselves as clever as opposed to the alternative.

I agree that the incident has a good chance of being ruled a suicide. The only thing the poor devil could have done to make it more convincing was to return to his hotel, slip into the wet suit and flippers, slash his throat and jump off the balcony. Now that would be prima facie evidence of suicide.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Well, it's official: The "Russian" diver was an American and he took his own life. Pattaya police report that his Thai wife, who lives in Bangkok, said he had told her many times that he wanted to die.
http://pattayaone.news/en/american-dive ... ities-say/

In an unconnected event, a Malaysian man fell to his death from the Talay 6 condos:
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... taya-condo
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

How awful!.................confusing an American for a Russian.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"