Pattaya is a Sh_t Hole!

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Pattaya is a Sh_t Hole!

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:The sleaziness factor of Sunee/Jomtien Complex/Boyztown doesn't even compare to the sleaziness of the girly bar scene on many of the sois off of 2nd Rd in Pattaya or on Walking Street.
I would have no objections if they did compare - and as far as I'm concerned, the sleazier the better.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

For the sake of those reading this and not residing in Thailand, I'd like to negate the perception that Pattaya is a sh*thole. I think it is one of the most diverse and entertaining places in the world - and all within easy walking (or 15 minute baht bus ride) distance away.

Pattaya offers restaurants of every description - from hole in the wall places with delicious food priced under 100 baht to luxury eateries with food prepared by 5 star chefs priced at a fraction of what one would expect to pay elsewhere.

For those who describe themselves as sex tourists, Pattaya has more than enough venues to fill your needs. Sunee (although growing dimmer) fits the need for ogling and/or quickie hookups, Boyztown presents a smorgasbord of choices at slightly higher prices but still lower than most foreign tourists expect to pay elsewhere, and Jomtien Complex is filled with welcoming young men doing their best to entice you to join them. During the day, Dongtan beach is still there and although less active than in the past, presents plenty of opportunities for relaxation and meeting like minded guys. And, for those who like the late, late night life, Pattaya's discos are thriving and filled with gay guys.

For shopaholics, Pattaya is anything but a backwater town. Multistory malls and street shops promise to open the tightest wallets. If you're looking for designer brand items or knock off copies, they're in Pattaya.

Accommodations also belie the sh*thole accusation. Pattaya has several top of the line hotels, mid priced lodgings, and even more livable, but basic places.

And, it's easy to forget the "touristy" things available in Pattaya. Water parks, night markets, alligator farms, Alankarn Show, floating market, Sanctuary of Truth, hang gliding, wind surfing, bungee jumping, mini Siam, and scores of other diversions are here.

I could go on listing the 40 (yes that's 40) golf courses in the area and all the ocean activities, but there are just too many to include.

While there may be other places in the world some may like better than Pattaya, Pattaya certainly doesn't deserve the reputation the title of this thread gives it.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: If Pattaya is a shit hole, then I'm glad I'm living in a shit hole.
Call it what you will! Gaybutton sums it up and makes no excuses. I sincerely doubt that anyone reading this forum initially came here or visits here because of golf....restaurants.......and certainly not for the beauty of Dongtan beach....no they came for one thing....and has that scene has diminished so has travels to L.O.S.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Undaunted, I think you may be over estimating the percentage of users here who are so unifocused. Certainly, the sex scene is a major part of the appeal of Pattaya, but as I tried to point out, even without the boys many of us continue to love Pattaya. As an example, those of us with boyfriends are not as addicted to the bars as many here might be. And, and I shudder to admit it, with advancing age (and there are many here in that category) the appeal of sex venues becomes less compelling than it once was. I think Pattaya has a lot more to offer than Sunee Plaza, Boyztown, and Jomtien Complex.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB, I don't dissagree, my point was initially why people come to Pattaya. I'm sure you initial visit wasn't for "the waters".
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

I agree with RichLB. I seldom visit any bars now....the only exceptions being when my boyfriend enjoys an early night, a night too early for me. I'm pleased that the bars are there, wishing that others would patronise them but even if they weren't, P. and I would still enjoy choosing a restaurant in Central, wandering through the Temple grounds on our way to Tuk Com (stopping sometimes for a prayer) and even walking along the beach at Jomtien.
Admittedly, we spend less time in Pattaya than we used to, preferring to spend longer in Chiang Mai, Krabi or Bali , but those ten days we are together there are still highlights for me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:my point was initially why people come to Pattaya.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I usually travel around SE Asia for a while before arriving in Pattaya. On more than one occasion, I've arrived in town and had thoughts similar to those in the topic title.
However, despite the obvious scruffiness, it's usually a very nice place to be on holiday, with everything I need in the day & the evenings. Also, around peak season, the climate is near perfect.

As for sleaze, well so what ? You get sleaze in politics, religion & no doubt other places.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

Undaunted wrote:I remember it well along with Stella's bar a short walk away, and my favorite sleaze bar was Hombre near 9th avenue by the Port Authority, Mayor Dinkins was great for my "Quality of life".
This blog invites readers to contribute recollections of extinct (an some still around) bars in NYC. Stella's and Hombre both mentioned.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/12412 ... c-gay-bars