Retirement Questions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Retirement Questions

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Just realized the initial post by the OP was three years ago and should not have wasted my time replying to it.
I don't understand your reason for that post. One of the functions of this board is to provide information to people who request it. If you don't want to reply, that's your choice.

What is not your choice is causing anyone to feel intimidated to post information requests or made to feel their requests are not welcome on this board. On my board, neither you nor anybody else gets to do that. If a post is inappropriate for this board, that's MY decision to make and nobody else's.

Information requests ARE welcome here no matter how long ago the OP was posted.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The new questions raised were fair enough.

Asking about currency is relevant, since the head of state appears on the notes, so changes might be anticipated.

Also the comment on broker accounts. People from any country might be interested in the options there.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Xiphoid Process wrote: I am interested to hear any thoughts about the quickest and easiest way to get a visa. I am looking at an early September arrival. Is the "letter" option still a thing? Is there a resource that I could be pointed to? I am thinking to base in BKK for awhile while I explore the country.
thaivisa.com This forum is the foremost authority on visas, etc. You can ask a question or do a search for similar requests and answers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:the foremost authority on visas, etc. You can ask a question or do a search for similar requests and answers.
They don't know anything more about obtaining visas than we do right here on this board.

viewtopic.php?t=4756
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

I have learned a great deal more about visas on thaivisa.com than anything I have learned on this forum or any of the other gay forums.
Nonetheless the OP did ask for a resource on this matter and I gave him one. Up to Him.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Another vote for thaivisa. But the subject is exhaustive. Everyone has their own personal situation, but if it were me, I would read all I can and avoid posting questions. I did that years ago and just got frustrated with the answers. Eventually, after asking so many questions, I got the response that put it all in perspective. "I see you asking all these questions, why don't you do something for us for a change?"

As a result, I have tried supplying information on various subjects (what little I know) throughout the years and the responses were seldom satisfying. Was the information useful? Hello? Did I do good? Now, 3 years later, the same questions arise which implies to me, a more casual interest to retiring in Thailand. Mexico and Ecuador were also under consideration, and 3 trips to Thailand, total. My gut feeling is going to go against the grain here, but this is the feeling I got and maybe what Windwalker meant. If it took 3 years and still no progress, that would make me take a deep breath and regret giving advice in the first place. It can take the wind out of your sails. I do not expect any acknowledgement, one should not be expected to. It is the spirit of giving and sharing that is it's own reward. It can take people a lifetime to make that first step, and that understanding has gone a long way to becoming more satisfied with shared information, even when I am wrong. Hopefully, I am right more times than wrong.

Lastly, the best information comes from firsthand personal exchanges with people, face-to-face. When you are serious to move on, that's when it all falls together. Come here and make friends. An easy example of this would be to attend a meeting of the Pattaya City Expats Club. Here is a link to their website. All will be answered here. No cute online retorts, no debates, no misunderstandings. You haven't been to Thailand for 6 years. What are you waiting for? Just do it.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Agree thaivisa is the place to go for visa info. Am glad to see the O.P. is taking his time making decissions.
(3 years).
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

OP, open a Schwab brokerage account for a $1,000. You will get a checking account linked to the brokerage account AND an ATM card. Schwab pays all ATM transaction fees at both ends (foreign and domestic). Get a cc from CapitalOne, no foreign transaction fees, pay off your balance monthly IF the interest rate is too high. Open a Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, you will be able to do ACH transfers from your home bank to BB via their NYC routing number. All this is discussed on the Thaivisa.com banking forum. Get a Google Voice telephone number. I get voice message transcriptions sent to my Gmail. Phone contacts in America think you are right next door. Good luck.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Reading ThaiVisa AND posting your questions here are reasonable actions.

Some members of this board do not read Thai Visa regularly, so you may get additional relevant replies here.
The thread heading is clear enough, so disinterested members do not need to return to the thread.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

You have been given a wealth of information and other websites have been mentioned for you to explore and you had a long time to make some plans, would you care to share them with us?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"