Buying Sunglasses - Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Buying Sunglasses - Pattaya

Post by windwalker »

Has anyone any personal experiences in buying sunglasses in Pattaya. I am looking for quality (non-prescription) sunglasses at a reasonable price. The 150 Baht ones sold everywhere just can't be of any quality especially in reducing UV light. The sunglasses seen in Optical Shops seem to be very pricey knock offs of brand name eyewear.
These are for the BF; I buy my own prescription glasses in the US.
Geezer

Re: Buying Sunglasses - Pattaya

Post by Geezer »

Given the difficulty (impossibility?) of determining the UV protection afforded by sunglasses in Thailand I would be leery of purchasing them here.

Years ago I accompanied my Thai friend who needed spectacles to an optical shop in Royal Garden Plaza. When he emerged with a prescription in 10 min. I was skeptical of its accuracy. I suggested we continue visiting optical shops until we had two prescriptions which were the same. After the third shop with a third unique prescription I voiced my dismay to the owner. He said one can be tested at the Bangkok Pattaya hospital. I didn't know that.

My friend was tested at the hospital, and got a prescription. Unfortunately the hospital does not dispense the glasses, which must be obtained from one of the myriad questionable optical shops in Pattaya. The lenses were grounded in Bangkok and were satisfactory. The frames were quite expensive although cheaply made. The gold soon changed color and the plastic broke. I can have no confidence in the veracity of the staff of optical shops.

I have needed new glasses for several years, but will not buy them here in Thailand. I plan to get the prescription at Bangkok Pattaya hospital, and purchase them online from the US.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

There is an optical store at the back entrance of Tuk Com, I've used them since they opened, I get progressive bi focus with lenses that darken and lighten depending on the sun. The optician there is as good as any I've been to in the states, and they stand behind their guarantee, you will get what you pay for, as the quality and service is excellent, they are not cheap.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

It is best, no matter where you are in the world, to get your eyes tested at the same place each time, it is relatively cheap to get your eyes tested, and in some cases free. When you start changing opticians, they don't have your history etc. I know an optician is an optician and even though when you go to the same opticians time after time and you don't always get the same person to test your eyes, as I say, they have your history.

Secondly, you can always test their prescription, just have a look around and test your eyes in the shop (yes, with the strange goggles they use to test your eyes), if they seem strange, get them to do the test again, and again, and again if necessary.

Finally, you don't have to buy the glasses from the optician you had your eyes tested with, once you have the "correct" prescription you can buy glasses anywhere, albeit, you cannot blame an optician for the "faults" if that optician didn't test your eyes.

Sunglasses should be UV A and B protected, be careful, some only give you one of these options.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted wrote:There is an optical store at the back entrance of Tuk Com, I've used them since they opened, I get progressive bi focus with lenses that darken and lighten depending on the sun. The optician there is as good as any I've been to in the states, and they stand behind their guarantee, you will get what you pay for, as the quality and service is excellent, they are not cheap.
I did check out this shop, but prices at 5K to 15K Baht much to high for what the BF needs. However when in TukCom I did see a kiosk with nice sunglasses in the 500 to 1500 Baht range. They claimed to have UV protection and seemed indestructible. The clerk twisted them in all shapes and they popped back. So, thanks for the tip.
anonone

Post by anonone »

As I understand the question, these are non-prescription sunglasses for the BF....so while the optician information may be helpful to others, I don't think it is what windwalker is asking about.

I do not have any personal experience buying sunglasses in Thailand. I do recall that the UV protection part of glasses is not necessarily expensive. The cheap sunglasses can be quite effective at blocking UV. Of course, the problem is knowing if the cheap pair you find are effective or not.

Windwalker - are you looking for inexpensive sunglasses or more quality, perhaps even fashion, glasses?

EDIT: Looks like windwalker posted at the same time. Glad you found something that worked.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

anonone wrote:As I understand the question, these are non-prescription sunglasses for the BF....so while the optician information may be helpful to others, I don't think it is what windwalker is asking about.

Windwalker - are you looking for inexpensive sunglasses or more quality, perhaps even fashion, glasses?
EDIT: Looks like windwalker posted at the same time. Glad you found something that worked.
Yes, anonone, I was looking for non-prescrption sunglasses for the BF at a reasonable price; not fashion. Since he is a motorbike taxi driver he is often in the sun and, like all of us, should protect his eyes from UV. Likely he will lose these glasses or have them damaged or stolen so no need for anything pricey. The glasses I saw in TukCom seemed just right although I did not try them on and test the optical quality. The tag claimed they provided UV protection but that is only a tag.
Although he once had a quickie vision test at B-P Hospital and all OK, but I suppose I should have a more extensive test done for him, just in case
avidflyer

Post by avidflyer »

FYI. The medical doctor who performed my lenses implant surgery at BHP told me that most all sunglasses these days have adequate UV protection. He said buying at BigC or Tesco would be very safe.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

I was watching a programme on UK TV last night "Embarrassing Bodies", they were on about sunglasses and whether they are fit for purpose. They suggested that sunglasses with "UV400" detailed on them should be the tag that you are looking for. If you see UV400 on a pair of sunglasses they protect against the sun's ultra violet rays, near enough 90 odd %.

The programme also tested people's sunglasses, they found a lot of these were basically not fit for purpose, only had a 30% sun blockage.

Look for UV400 detailed on the glasses and probably also if they are effective against UVA and UVB.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

But in Thailand a tag averring the quality of a product is meaningless.