Buying Sunglasses - Pattaya

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Buying Sunglasses - Pattaya

Post by windwalker »

The sunglasses I saw at Tuk Com did have the UV 400 tag so maybe good or maybe not.
whitedesire

Post by whitedesire »

Yes, that is good, UV400 is what to look for, well according to that programme. The next thing would be whether these glasses were fake or not fake, i.e. was a "reputable named brand" from a "reputable" shop. What I mean by that is, to me, Boots the chemist would be reputable.
blue

Post by blue »

Hi windwalker, what u need is a helmet with a UV rated face shield. I am also looking for one but so far no luck..If u found one please let me know :)

:idea: I may take my helmet to an auto tinting place to see what they can do..
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Hi blue; the BF's helmet does have a tinted face shield, but, if too dark, then a problem at night. Most of his sun exposure is when sitting and waiting for the next customer which is often a long wait!
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

There's no reason why a UV excluding face shield can't be perfectly clear - the tinting only takes out visible light (the bit you actually see with). I had a quick google for this and Nolan make them - but you might not want to pay baht 6000 plus carriage to Thailand!
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/NO ... LMETS.html
You could probably find something cheaper that fits the bill if you look around
Jun

Post by Jun »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

For anyone planning to sit on Jomtien beach in the afternoon, bringing POLARISED sunglasses is useful due to the reflection of the sun off the water. As I seem to have mistakenly packed non-polarised ones, I'll have to try & find some here. I have zero trust in the labelling on such products at most stalls here.
Jogger

Post by Jogger »

I recently visited this place:

http://www.euroopticinternational.com/

(it is behind Royal Garden).

Amongst other items they made me some special sunglasses guaranteed to protect against the sun. They have a machine to test the veracity of the sunglasses.
The staff speak excellent English.
Although the cost around 3000 baht more or less ( I forget) but definitely worth the price.
Essential to protect the eyes in this climate especially with cataracts or risk thereof.