Need assistance for US traveler going to Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
Mitchell

Need assistance for US traveler going to Thailand

Post by Mitchell »

I am starting to plan my visit to Thailand. I will apply for a tourist visa good for 60 days and later in Thailand I will apply for a 30-day extension giving me a total of 90 days there.

I checked with the Washington DC Thai Embassy and they indicated no problem to present my 90-day air flight ticket with my tourist visa application.

My concern is the airline here USA ...will they allow me to check in with a 90-day air ticket even though the tourist visa is good for 60 days?

My other concern when arriving in BKK will passport control accept me with a return ticket past my 60-day tourist visa?

Hope you can help on these issues.
Jun

Re: Need assistance for US traveler going to Thailand

Post by Jun »

I have often turned up at BKK immigration with a return ticket dated after my 30 day visa exemption, or beyond my 60/90 day visa. Immigration have never questioned it.
The most recent example was on the current trip.
Visa exempt entry 30 days, flight home 75 days later. Admittedly I had a separate flight booked to Cambodia, but immigration would have no way of knowing about that. They certainly didn't ask.

What it did take was 3 different people to figure out how to check me into my Lufthansa flight from London Heathrow without any visa. They managed it. They did not ask to see the separate flight ticket to Cambodia.

Obviously going from the UK I can only advise on the arriving in BKK part, not dealing with your US airline.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Thank you Jun for sharing your experience.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Mitchell wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:42 pm My concern is the airline here USA ...will they allow me to check in with a 90-day air ticket even though the tourist visa is good for 60 days?

My other concern when arriving in BKK will passport control accept me with a return ticket past my 60-day tourist visa?
Airlines use the IATA computer system to check entry requirements for your destination.
If you are traveling without a visa (entering Thailand Visa Exempt), airlines will want to see evidence of onward travel because their computer display shows one is required to enter without a Visa. However, if you have a Visa, their computer does not show this as a requirement for entry. So it should be no problem.

Likewise for going through the Immigration checkpoint at the airport. In fact, they very rarely if ever check for an onward ticket even when entering Visa Exempt.

From the IATA website re travel into Thailand:

The following should be taken into account even if holding a Visa:

Visitors older than 12 years must have sufficient funds to cover their stay (at least THB 20,000.- per person or THB 40,000.- per family). Proof of funds includes Letters of Credit, vouchers, Miscellaneous Charges Orders (MCO) or credit cards accepted in Thailand.
Warning:

Visitors who are visa exempt but do not hold return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

Visa exempt nationals must have passports and passport replacing documents with at least half an unused visa page for entry/departure endorsements by the Thai Immigration Service.
https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/ This is a useful place to check as you can enter your travel details for any country you plan to visit to find out their requirements.
Mitchell

Post by Mitchell »

Thank you 2lz2p for your assistance..