Thailand successfully launches Theos-2 satellite

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Thailand successfully launches Theos-2 satellite

Post by Gaybutton »

Several videos available on YouTube, but all I found were entirely in Thai, so I did not post any of them.

THEOS-2 launched into orbit

October 9, 2023

Thailand's second earth observation satellite, THEOS-2, was successfully launched into orbit from the French Guiana Space Centre on Monday morning, Geo-Informatics and Space Technology Development Agency (Gistda) announced.

The launch was at 8.36am Thailand time (10.36pm Sunday in French Guiana)

At 9.31am Thailand time staff in the control room at the launch station applauded as the satellite detached from the VEGA Flight VV23 rocket and entered its orbit.

About 10am, THEOS-2 began to transmit signals to Gistda's THEOS Control & Receiving Station at Si Racha in Chon Buri province.

Taiwan's FORMOSAT-7R and 10 satellites of the European Space Agency were also due to be launched on the same day.

THEOS-2 was originally scheduled to launch on Oct 7 at 8.36am Thai time, but liftoff was postponed due to a technical problem 14 seconds before launch.

The 425-kilogramme satellite can produce 50-centimetre high-resolution imagery and is tasked with security goals and disaster management. The satellite is expected to improve Thailand's space technology infrastructure, human resources, space industry, geo‑informatics and space technology, the announcement said.

The satellite will also contribute to cartography, agricultural and food management, water management, disaster management, city planning and economic corridors, natural resources and ecosystems, Gistda said.

THEOS-2 replaces THEOS-1, also known as Thaichote, launched on Oct 1, 2008, which has reached the end of its lifespan.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... into-orbit
Dodger

Re: Thailand successfully launches Theos-2 satellite

Post by Dodger »

Congrats for Thailand!

The next thing you know they'll be a ladyboy walking on the moon...555
Jun

Post by Jun »

The satellite was made by Airbus
The launch was on a European built rocket

So I presume the Thai input was limited to specifying what they need and paying for it. Followed by sending a few observers on a jolly to the European Space Agency control room.

So about the same as my input for my last flight to Thailand.
I do not attempt to take the credit for designing or building the 777 that got me there, or for the successful flight, but it seems the Bangkok Post have different standards.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Jun wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:02 pm it seems the Bangkok Post have different standards.
so you presume Thailand specified and paid for the satellite, but you object to Gistda announcing, and the Bangkok Post reporting, that the satellite was successfully launched?

or is there some subtle subtext in the news report that I have missed? where exactly do you think the Bangkok Post, Thailand or the Gistda are "attempt[ing] to take the credit for designing or building" the satellite or "for the successful flight"?
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:42 pm so you presume Thailand specified and paid for the satellite, but you object to Gistda announcing, and the Bangkok Post reporting, that the satellite was successfully launched?
Worrying about who built it, who launched it, or who is taking credit for it - for me that's a "who cares?" What matters to me is what the satellite is designed to do and whether it is doing it successfully.
Jun

Post by Jun »

bkkguy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:42 pm so you presume Thailand specified and paid for the satellite, but you object to Gistda announcing, and the Bangkok Post reporting, that the satellite was successfully launched?

or is there some subtle subtext in the news report that I have missed? where exactly do you think the Bangkok Post, Thailand or the Gistda are "attempt[ing] to take the credit for designing or building" the satellite or "for the successful flight"?
Sorry, I'm incorrect to blaming the BKK Post.
For some reason, the heading to this thread credits Thailand with the successful launch, but the Bangkok post doesn't.

I'll settle for "European Space agency successfully launches European made Theos-2 Satellite for Thailand".
Then no one thinks Thailand is launching rockets into space, based on the headline.
Even if it is 79 years after the Germans put a rocket in space (not orbit).
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here's a satellite that's actually developed in Thailand: https://www.nanosats.eu/sat/knacksat-2
I think he's holding the full size satellite, not a scale model.

For launch, it sounds rather like it will be taken up to the international space station in hand luggage and thrown out of the hatch*.

Article (scroll down):
https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld

(*Some artistic license may have been used in summarizing the NBT article)