Lotus goes to the dogs

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Lotus goes to the dogs

Post by Gaybutton »

I've seen several restaurants that allow people to bring their pets, but bringing them to a grocery store - that's a first. Stores normally allow trained service dogs and seeing eye dogs, but not generally pets.

Personally I'd like to see Pattaya build a few dog parks instead.

I'm not so sure this is such a good idea, but most Lotus stores are now allowing it, including most of Bangkok and the two large Lotus stores in Pattaya.

There are, of course, restrictions as specified in the article below.

Don't worry, folks - if I go to a Lotus, my Basset Hound will be staying home. Anyone out there have a Great Dane . . . ?

Lotus’s go pet-friendly shopping paw-tnership in 100 stores in Thailand

by Petch Petpailin

September 29, 2023

Popular supermarket chain Lotus’s announced the trial of a pet-friendly mall model allowing customers to shop alongside their beloved pets in 100 stores across the country.

The global trend of pet humanisation is growing, driven by pet owners who view their furry companions as family members or see themselves as their pets’ parents. These devoted pet parents spare no effort, both emotionally and financially, to ensure their pets’ well-being, akin to the care they provide to their offspring.

In response to this trend, Lotus’s has introduced pet-friendly brunches to welcome pets and their parents to shop together in the supermarket, creating a smart community that matches customers’ lifestyles.

To bring pets into the supermarket, pet parents must meet four conditions, including:

1. Pets must be safely contained within a bag or a trolley.
2. Pet parents are responsible for providing an appropriate bag or cart for their furry companions.
3. Pets must not walk around inside Lotus’s.
4. Pets are not allowed in restaurants without a pet welcome restaurant sign.

This pioneering pet-friendly mall model is currently undergoing a trial run in 100 Lotus’s stores scattered throughout the country. For example, Lotus’s Chonburi, Lotus’s Phuket, Lotus’s Chiang Mai, Lotus’s ICONSIAM, Lotus’s Pattaya, Lotus’s Roi Et, Lotus’s Yasothon, etc.

Other pet-friendly malls in Bangkok and surrounding areas are: the Central Festival EastVille, Mega Bangna, the Nine Rama 9, Habito Mall, the Commons Thonglor, the Circle Ratchapruk, Crystal Design Center (CDC), The EmQuartier, The Paseo Park Kanchanaphisek and K-Village.

Bangkok Governor Chatchart Sittipunt also supports the pet-friendly model as he announced the plan to create more pet-friendly public parks for all animal lovers to enjoy a relaxed atmosphere with their pets. Behjakitti Prak on Ratchadaphisek Road became the first new pet-friendly area, and more are expected to come.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/lo ... n-thailand
Jun

Re: Lotus goes to the dogs

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:59 pmPets must be safely contained within a bag or a trolley.
That needs clarification. Are they really going to allow dogs into supermarket trolleys, where the next customer will be putting his food ?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:38 pm That needs clarification. Are they really going to allow dogs into supermarket trolleys, where the next customer will be putting his food ?
It seems clear to me. The article says pet owners must bring their own. I can't imagine that they would allow people to use supermarket trolleys. If I ever see that, it will be the last time I so much as enter any of their stores, much less shop there.

What kind of trolleys are they talking about? Wouldn't it be a bit awkward to push a trolley that contains your pet along with the supermarket trolley too? Or are people going to put their food into the same trolley the pet is in? That would never work with my dog. Even if I wanted to put my food into his trolley he probably would eat all of it before I even make it to the checkout. He also has a very loud, roaring, vicious sounding bark. I don't need to have a problem if he starts barking and frightening people.

Speaking of frightening people, many are frightened of dogs and/or other animals in the first place. I would think the last thing those who have such a fear would want to do is go shopping in a store that allows animals.

I see this as an absurd idea. People have managed ever since these markets first existed to do their shopping without bringing their pets. I think the pets themselves wouldn't enjoy the experience either. If nothing else, they would likely be confused to the point of stress.

I fail to see an intelligent reason for starting this now. What do you do if your animal has to do his business while present in the store? I love animals as much as anyone, but there are places inappropriate for them to be. In my opinion, supermarkets are one of those inappropriate places.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:51 pmI see this as an absurd idea.
Good to see a dog owner who respects the idea that dogs should not be allowed everywhere.

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:51 pmWhat do you do if your animal has to do his business while present in the store?
I saw a sign in one UK supermarket, which I think was Tesco, welcoming dogs & advising dog owners to call staff to deal with such instances.
I don't approve.