Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Baht Weakest in 10 months

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

If this is what accounts for the much better exchange rates, while I certainly am very happy about the rates, I would also be quite unhappy if it is happening because of war.

War worries put pressure on baht

by Nareerat Wiriyapong

April 23, 2024

The baht could weaken to around 37.20 baht to the US dollar later this week from its six-month low of 36.9 baht on Monday due to continuing concerns over the conflict in the Middle East, while US economic figures due this week are likely to support dollar strength, says Kasikorn Research Centre (K-Research).

The Thai currency was quoted at 36.97 baht to the greenback, the lowest in six months, in early morning trade on Monday before bouncing back to 36.94-96, compared with Friday's close of 36.86, influenced by cooling global gold prices and movements of the Chinese yuan and Japanese yen.

The dollar, which is considered to be the safest currency, has gained in strength amid the ongoing tensions in the Middle East and the likelihood that the Federal Reserve will not rush to cut interest rates as the US economy continues to perform well.

"Both the ongoing Middle East conflict and the strong dollar have influence on the baht, which has depreciated 7.6% this year to date," said Kanjana Chockpisansin, head of the research, banking and financial sector at K-Research.

The Thai currency is the second weakest in the region after the yen, which has fallen 8.8% year to date. The South Korean won, meanwhile, has depreciated 6.4% so far this year, according to K-Research.

Comments from Fed officials and hotter-than-anticipated inflation data last week led to markets scaling back expectations for rate cuts in the US and other developed economies. The US is due to release first-quarter GDP figures on Thursday and the core Personal Consumption Expenditure price index, which is known for capturing inflation, on Friday.

"If those US economic indicators beat the market's forecast, then they enhance the probability that the Fed would hold the rates higher for longer. As a result, the dollar would gain more strength and pressure the baht to depreciate further," Ms Kanjana told the Bangkok Post.

So far, K-Research has maintained the same view as Kasikornbank that the US central bank would lower rates on at least two occasions this year, she added.

Coupled with its expectation that the concerns over geopolitics are unlikely to go away quickly, Ms Kanjana noted that K-Research expects the baht to move in a range of 36.70 to 37.20 baht to the dollar this week.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... re-on-baht
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Wars in the Middle East have been going on since I was in kindergarten...and if this is one of the reasons the exchange rates over here are so good right now so be it.

YEAH !!!...37.

Hell, don't stop fighting now - maybe we can see 38???
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:36 am don't stop fighting now - maybe we can see 38???
Sooner or later the hot fighting will stop. What happens to the exchange rates if and when it does stop? Will the rates start to drop back again? I think it's best to enjoy it while it lasts, but don't count on the better rates continuing to remain once it does stop.

Everything is relative. For those of us who remember "Geezer", he was bitterly complaining when the exchange rates dropped to 38 baht to the US dollar. That was because we were all used to the rates being well over 40 baht to the US dollar for years. Now we would all be delighted, coming from the other end, to see the rates reach 38 once again.

It would be great if the better rates will remain in place or get to be even better. But if I've learned nothing else over the years, I've learned the exchange rates are unpredictable and those depending on the rates need to be prepared for wherever they go. I hope these rates really will be long term rather than a temporary windfall.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 amSooner or later the hot fighting will stop.
Certain cultures in the Middle East could probably start a war in an empty room.

As for exchange rates, the higher interest rates in the US may also have something to do with it. Over 5% in the US and about 2.5% in Thailand.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"