Et Tu Big Joke?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Et Tu Big Joke?

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:05 am Five houses...two to live in and three more for storage??????
Conflicting information. Other news articles say a relative actually owns the houses and he rented them to house some of his subordinates. That makes much more sense than saying he rented them for storage. What could he or anyone be storing that takes 3 houses to store? I could see Trump doing that to store his stolen classified documents, but that makes zero sense in Big Joke's case.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:07 am
I could see Trump doing that to store his stolen classified documents, but that makes zero sense in Big Joke's case.
Good one!... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here is the latest on the Big Joke saga:

‘Big Joke’ denies involvement in online gambling

By Pattaya Mail

September 27, 2023

Deputy national police chief Pol Gen Surachate Hakparn aka Big Joke has asserted that he is not associated with online gambling. Instead, he believes that what has occurred is a political maneuver within the Royal Thai Police, aimed at tarnishing his reputation.

He spoke to the media after his house in Soi Wipawadi 60 was searched by the police from the Cyber Crime Investigation Bureau Police and arrest warrants were issued for his subordinates.

He expressed doubts about the legitimacy of the search warrants, as they did not specify the homeowner’s name. He believed that the issuance of the search warrants might have been done improperly since the police did not inform the court that the house belonged to him.

Nevertheless, he agreed to cooperate with the searches of all five houses, on the condition that senior police officers would be present.

No evidence of legal wrongdoing was found during the search, and no financial trail linking him to online gambling was discovered. Therefore, the searches conducted on this day were seen as excessive. He will take legal action those involved.

Regarding the arrest warrants for his eight subordinates, it is their responsibility to clarify whether they were involved or not, he said.

Pol Gen Surachate said that this search operation was premeditated and is part of an internal political game within the Royal Thai Police. However, he could not confirm whether it was related to the police chief nomination.

He left it to the media to draw their conclusions but urged the public to keep an eye on developments over the next four to five days. He encouraged them to observe why the searches and arrests of officers in his team occurred during this particular period.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... ing-441688

Investigation to Take Place Into Raid on Top Thai Cops Home

By Adam Judd

27 September, 2023

Thai Prime Minister Mr. Srettha Thavisin appointed an independent investigation committee on Pol. Gen. Surachate, also known as “Big Joke”, Hakparn’s house search by other police.

On September 25th, 2023, Pol. Lt. Gen. Achayon Kraithong, the spokesperson for the Royal Thai Police, disclosed that Pol. Lt. Gen. Damrongsak Kittiprapatt, the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, met with the Prime Minister in the evening to present recent information regarding the upcoming conference of the Office of Police Commission due for September 27th at 1:30 PM at the National Police Office.
In this conference, they will discuss various agenda items, including the appointment of a new national police chief.
“On the initial report on the case where police officers executed a search warrant at the residence of Big Joke in Bangkok, the Prime Minister has appointed an independent investigation committee to further investigate the facts of the case. The committee will entirely consist of independent members to ensure transparency and fairness,” stated Pol. Lt. Gen. Achayon.

The investigation will determine if the search was legal as well as what circumstances the search warrants were issued under. Surachate has said the search was an attempt to discredit him and he has no ties to any illegal online gambling websites. He also said the search was not executed properly from a legal process and officers did not know they were inspecting his home.

No evidence of wrongdoing on Hakparn’s part was found during the search.

https://tpnnational.com/2023/09/27/inve ... cops-home/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

‘Big Joke’ says he paid reporters

High-profile policeman defends acts of generosity, helped by family fortune that has nothing to do with crime

September 27, 2023

Embattled deputy national police chief Surachate Hakparn said on Wednesday that he had paid some reporters who covered his activities, and added that he was in no hurry to become the police chief.

In an interview with TV news anchor Sorrayuth Suthassanachinda, Pol Gen Surachate, aka Big Joke, said he was close to four reporters in particular and paid each of them 10,000 baht when they covered certain stories.

He said reporters earned small salaries and he sympathised with their financial plight.

Pol Gen Surachate, already the best-known policeman in the country, has attracted even more publicity than usual in recent days, following a raid on his home in connection with a police crackdown on online gambling.

He has denied any involvement and is threatening legal action over the search, which he claims was related to politics inside the police department.

Pol Gen Surachate told local media that he pays about 1.5 million baht a month out of his own pocket to cover the expenses of his team because the police department often lacks the resources needed to pursue certain investigations.

A deputy national police chief earns a base salary of 78,000 baht a month. Pol Gen Surachate said the money he spends comes from his wife, the daughter of Bancha Panitchapong, a billionaire transport and property tycoon in Songkhla, his home province.

The deputy chief mentioned a TV news reporter as one of the recipients of his largesse. He said she was a native of Songkhla and they had known each other since he was a local police chief in Hat Yai

Another recipient was a native of the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat. The reporter came with a team of three or four to cover his activities, Pol Gen Surachate said.

The money was intended to cover their meals and travel costs when they visited the provinces to cover cases in which he was involved, he said.

“I am generous. … I have done this since I was an inspector,” he said. “At my news conferences, I gave each reporter 500 baht for their meals and petrol. … The money was mine and was not from a gambling website.”

Pol Gen Surachate faced searches at five houses he rented in Bangkok on Monday, and several of his close subordinates were arrested for alleged involvement in the gambling business.

He had been identified as one of four potential candidates to succeed Pol Gen Damrongsak Kittiprapas who will retire on Sept 30, as the new national police chief.

Pol Gen Torsak Sukvimol was named to the top position on Wednesday afternoon.

Pol Gen Surachate said earlier that the top job can wait, given that he is just 53 years old and has other things he wants to accomplish before moving on. He reiterated that position on Wednesday.

“I am out. I don’t want to get involved,” he said. “Whoever wants to be (police chief) can be. I still have seven to eight years in the service. If I do not resign, I might have the luck to vie for it then.”

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... -reporters
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't want revenge, insists 'Big Joke'

September 28, 2023

Deputy national police chief, Surachate "Big Joke" Hakparn, says he does not want revenge on several senior officers for their actions against him, despite his holding secret information that he says could spell their doom.

"I don't want to get revenge. I have plenty of information. If I expose it, everyone at the Royal Thai Police [RTP] is doomed.

"But I will not reveal it yet. I still want to protect the [police] force," he said during a television show on Channel 9 on Wednesday.

Pol Gen Surachate was speaking after a high-profile search of his rented house in Bangkok on Monday as part of a probe into online gambling websites. The search, approved by higher-ups in the Royal Thai Police, was based on financial transactions related to gambling websites uncovered earlier.

The raid on Pol Gen Surachate's rented house in Bangkok was part of an operation code-named "Big Cleaning Day," which targeted 30 properties in Bangkok and five provinces -- Phetchaburi, Samut Prakan, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani and Saraburi.

Several of the other houses belonged to police officers close to Pol Gen Surachate, and they are alleged to be involved in online gambling sites operating in Laos with about one billion baht in circulation.

Pol Gen Surachate said on Wednesday he instructed his lawyer, Ananchai Chaidej, to file a complaint with Southern Bangkok's Criminal Court, alleging contempt of court in the police application for an arrest warrant for eight of his subordinates.

He said investigators who sought the arrest warrant failed to identify their ranks. If investigators had done so, the court would not have approved the arrest warrant, but would have issued a summons instead, Pol Gen Surachate said. He thought it was inappropriate that the police were issued with warrants.

Previously, Pol Gen Surachate filed a complaint with the Criminal Court alleging contempt of court in the police application for a warrant that allowed them to search five of his rented houses.

He said the application concealed facts as it failed to inform the court that he occupied the houses, and the large armed force used conducted the searches in a way that tarnished his reputation. "If the court had known they were my houses, it would have acted fairly because I do not face prosecution," Pol Gen Surachate said.

However, he on Wednesday admitted the five houses actually belonged to a businessman based in Udon Thani, known as "Taem". He rented the houses from him and let his subordinates stay in two of them.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... s-big-joke
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

High-ranking police officers and their troubles with the law

by THE NATION

September 28, 2023

From time to time, a few enforcers of the law have found themselves on the wrong side of the law. There are a few unforgettable instances of high-ranking police officers getting embroiled in cases that became national scandals and besmirched the reputation of the police force.

Here is a brief overview of some high-profile cases:

Pol General Surachate Hakparn, deputy National Police chief

Surachate, also known as "Big Joke", has twice found himself in the limelight for the wrong reasons, casting a shadow over his career.

The first time was in 2019 when he was transferred by the commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police and subsequently transferred from the police force to a civilian government official post. He was also investigated for corruption or misconduct, causing damage to government affairs and public unrest. However, he escaped unscathed and returned to the police force in 2021 as the deputy National Police chief.

Just days before the selection of the next police chief, Surachate, who was one of the contenders, found police officers visit his house on Monday with a search warrant. The warrant was secured to probe suspicion of Surachate and his subordinates being allegedly involved in illegal online gambling activities. No details of that investigation are known yet.

Pol General Wirachai Songmetta, former deputy National Police chief

Wirachai achieved success both in his professional career and in business. He was one of the richest people in Thailand. However, in 2020, he was ordered by the commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police at the time to step down from his position as deputy National Police chief. A committee was appointed to investigate a case involving leaked audio recordings. These recordings were conversations with the commissioner-general in a case related to an attempted assassination of "Big Joke”. The recordings shook the organisation's image.

But in 2021, he was reinstated in his previous position, and he pursued legal action against the commissioner-general.

Just two days after his retirement, Wirachai entered the monkhood and dropped all lawsuits.

Pol General Jumpol Manmai, former deputy National Police chief

Jumpol was once a fellow-police cadet with Thaksin Shinawatra. He was seen as a potential commissioner-general of the Royal Thai Police but he fell short.

After retiring in 2011, the King through a royal command ordered him to return to civil service as a government official within the Royal Household.

In 2017, he was sentenced to six years in prison for forest encroachment and neglecting his duties. However, his sentence was reduced to three years.

He passed away from a lung infection in 2022 at the age of 72.

Pol Lt-Colonel Chalor Kerdthes, former police commissioner

Chalor was the leader of a special unit assigned to track down the culprits involved in the infamous "Blue Diamond Affair" in 1989, which was the beginning of a long period of estranged relations between Thailand and Saudi Arabia.

Chalor later became a suspect in the murder of a mother and her child of the Srithanakhun family.

He was sentenced to life imprisonment and spent more than 19 years behind bars.

In his later years, he entered the monkhood at the age of 79.

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand ... l/40031404
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bangkok Post wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:28 pm
Pol Gen Surachate told local media that he pays about 1.5 million baht a month out of his own pocket to cover the expenses of his team because the police department often lacks the resources needed to pursue certain investigations.

A deputy national police chief earns a base salary of 78,000 baht a month. Pol Gen Surachate said the money he spends comes from his wife, the daughter of Bancha Panitchapong, a billionaire transport and property tycoon in Songkhla, his home province.
Oh...that explains it... :o

I guess he needs the 3 extra houses to store all the cash that his wife gives him.... :lol: Sorry, this is just too funny!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:09 am Oh...that explains it... :o
Look at the bright side. I'd say now he has a hell of a lot more to worry about than focusing on trying to raise requirements for the retirement visa. I believe that's one problem that solved itself.

Other than wanting to raise the retirement visa requirements, I have always admired Big Joke and I believe he is one of the few honest, or at least relatively honest cops holding top positions. But this incident, which seems to be moving from incident to scandal, has damaged his "good image" and his authority.

If he has done nothing wrong, that's one thing. But if he has, then he needs to suffer the consequences like anybody else. For now, I'm rooting for him to emerge as unscathed as possible.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Bangkok Post wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:28 pmPol Gen Surachate told local media that he pays about 1.5 million baht a month out of his own pocket to cover the expenses of his team because the police department often lacks the resources needed to pursue certain investigations.

This is seriously bent.

Either he's lying OR how & why would someone fund 1.5 million baht of monthly police expenses themselves ? From a base salary of 78,000 baht. The only way that works and funds all the houses would be if he's on the take like the rest of them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:02 pm The only way that works and funds all the houses would be if he's on the take like the rest of them.
That's interesting. You're saying a man on the take is also on the give . . .