Proposed changes to taxation

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Propsed changes to taxation

Post by Jun »

Dodger wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:55 am It still appears (to me anyway) that the Double Tax Agreement prevents non-working retired expats from being double taxed on retirement income they may be receiving in Thailand. If they were still working (either in Thailand or abroad) it would be a different story. At least that's the way I see it.
Double taxation agreements tend to mean you don't pay the 20% income tax on your income in one country and pay that 20% again in your country of residence.
However, if there are differences in tax rates or tax free allowances, you could still end up paying tax in your country of residence.

For instance, dividend income in a UK ISA is tax free. If Thailand applied a tax on overseas dividend income, I suspect any UK citizen residing in Thailand would have to pay tax on his dividends, as it has not been taxed in his home country.

That's certainly how it's been when I receive untaxed dividends from Singapore and but then have pay tax in the UK.
Where I receive taxed dividends from Germany, my UK tax was reduced because of German tax payments made. Incidentally, the Germans charge more tax than they are allowed to, but get away with it as it's theoretically possible to reclaim the excess tax.
Reading the tax guides on double taxation really isn't much fun either, so I sold certain investments when the price was right.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I think the appropriate place for Barry Kenyon's September 23 article is on this topic.

I hope this will bring relief to people who have been worried about it.

Moral panic takes over the expats and Thai taxation furor

By Barry Kenyon

September 23, 2023

The fear that retirees and other non-working expats are about to be taxed on their overseas pension income has created a field-day for internet warriors, click baiters and nervous long-term visa holders. But calmer reality suggests it may be premature to start packing your bags in utter disgust.

The Thai revenue department has recently stipulated that, from the next calendar year, “earned income from overseas” will be liable for personal income tax for those (Thais or foreigners) spending up to 180 days a year in the country. This is, in fact, an old revenue rule but has been updated to close the loophole in which those liable delayed transferring their income until a later year.

To pay personal income tax you need a TIN (tax identification number) issued by the revenue department. Without that there can be no income tax liability and, one assumes, most foreign retirees have never heard of a TIN and certainly haven’t got one. The latest move is clearly aimed at currency traders, those involved in stock market trading and anyone holding earned foreign income in an offshore account for over twelve months to avoid tax. They have always been the target.

The new ruling has nothing whatever to do with your visa which is irrelevant to tax status anyway. Let’s take a simple example. Those holding an Elite visa or an annual retirement extension might, or might not, spend more than six months a year in Thailand. There is evidence that many Chinese holders of Elite regularly come in and out of Thailand but do not clock up 180 days per annum. On the other hand, a tourist Brit or an American (amongst others) could easily reach 180 days by entering the country by air several times via the 30 days visa-exempt rule, extending at immigration and making an occasional visa run.

Thus the issue is whether or not the revenue department has now extended the residence rule (180 days in a year) to include permanent sun worshippers, expats married or with families to support, adult students learning Thais and a diverse assembly of pensioners in their 60s, 70s and beyond. Thai law and financial regulations are often kept deliberately vague and the 100 words of the Thai language devoted to the subject in question in the latest revenue announcement certainly don’t provide a definitive answer. Nor do the translations in English provided on social media.

Many active on social media are advising panicky expats to wait for a broader explanation from the revenue. Fine, except that there may never be one. If the sole purpose is to catch those TIN holders who have delayed sending their income to Thailand, there’s nothing more to say. But if there is a real attempt to punish financially all expats, as suggested, one can only imagine the bureaucratic chaos, daily huge queues at revenue offices (with too few staff to cope and knowing nothing of double taxation treaties) and the total collapse of international financial confidence. Within days, a Thai general would appear on the TV, accompanied by somber military music, to explain why tanks were in the streets of Bangkok. Apologies for the inconvenience.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ror-441317
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:58 am You get a choice - if you are on the retirement visa, but now paying taxes in Thailand, now you are a legal resident and no longer required to have the retirement visa or any other visa. -OR- Choose not to pay the tax, but be required to continue annual extensions of the retirement visa.
But since the chances of such a choice actually happening are between zero and nil, it's just a passing pipe dream.
In Australia you could be a citizen or a permanent resident but may or may not be a resident for tax purposes, or depending on your residency or visa status you may be able to stay in the country but may or may not be a resident for tax purposes - it depends on how much time you actually spend in the country. This is similar to the situation in Thailand and many other countries.

permission to stay in a country and the requirements to pay tax are not necessarily related concepts so your choice is not just a pipe dream, in Thailand, Australia or any other country - in many cases, it doesn't make sense to try to somehow reconcile the requirements for these unrelated concepts and much larger groups of people are likely to be affected by simple attempts to do so!
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:17 pm permission to stay in a country and the requirements to pay tax are not necessarily related concepts so your choice is not just a pipe dream
However this plays out, my own guess is expats on the retirement visa will not be subject to this tax. If it turns out that I'm wrong, then we'll soon enough find out what we're dealing with.

At the moment, I see this as another case of "Don't worry until you have something to worry about."
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

As it happens, I am tax resident in Thailand and have a Tax ID. This is what is needed to reclaim any withholding tax on deposits in Thai banks, though that is not the reason for my having such an ID. It does not affect the fact that I am also Tax Resident in UK.... at the moment. Being in receipt of a UK Government Pension, even though I have never worked for the government, this Pension will always be taxed in UK, whatever my tax residency status or my domicile.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

billyhouston wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:04 pm As it happens, I am tax resident in Thailand and have a Tax ID.
How did you get it? Did you have to apply for it? Was it assigned? If it was assigned, who assigned it and who issued it? I won't ask why you are a tax resident in Thailand unless you wish to share that with us.

Since you do have a Tax ID in Thailand, your circumstances must be different from most of us expats who don't have a Tax ID. But with the double tax agreements maybe you won't have to pay an additional income tax in Thailand.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:03 am Since you do have a Tax ID in Thailand, your circumstances must be different from most of us expats who don't have a Tax ID.
I am not sure of the steps as it has been sometime since I have seen them described. Over the years I have seen postings by Expats that have obtained a Tax ID from the Revenue Department as it is the first step in getting a refund of tax banks are required to withhold from interest payments on savings accounts - 15% if I recall correctly.

As I understand it, one becomes liable for Thai income tax if they earn above a certain amount; thus for many Expats, the interest received is insufficient to meet this threshold and the Revenue Department will refund the amount withheld if it is applied for. As mentioned, the first step is to obtain a Thai Tax ID number.

In my case as it probably is with most Expats, the amount withheld is so small it is not worth the effort to go through the process necessary to get it refunded.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:10 pm In my case as it probably is with most Expats, the amount withheld is so small it is not worth the effort to go through the process necessary to get it refunded.
Thank you 2lz2p. I'll just have to try to survive without the 14 baht I might get back. If I understand correctly, the interest rates Thai banks pay is much smaller for farang held bank accounts in the first place.
Jun

Post by Jun »

billyhouston wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 6:04 pmAs it happens, I am tax resident in Thailand and have a Tax ID.
Are you asked to fill in any tax return or declare income streams ?