Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:58 pm there are a number of potential security issues with WiFi, particularly public WiFi hotspots in cafes etc
Such as what? What are those issues? What potentially can happen?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here's another thought. How does it work for joint bank accounts? I would imagine they can set it up so that either account holder's face, or however many are on a joint account, will be recognized.

I'll get even more complicated. How does it work if one holder is Thai and the other is farang? I would guess both would have to do facial recognition.

That would make sense. Therefore I think it won't work that way . . .
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:48 am Such as what? What are those issues? What potentially can happen?
https://www.google.com/search?q=securit ... ublic+wifi

and you win extra points for working out which are the articles with reading and which are crap

you are better off focusing on standard security best practice recommendations for this and any other interactions over the internet
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Those hazards exist no matter how you access the internet. I don't know why WiFi would make you more vulnerable. However you access the internet obviously it is best to take whatever security precautions you can, but there are no guarantees.

It seems like whatever protections the software companies come up with, some hacker always manages to figure out a way to beat them.
Jun

Post by Jun »

bkkguy wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:58 pm https://www.google.com/search?q=securit ... ublic+wifi

and you win extra points for working out which are the articles with reading and which are crap
The Norton site says DON'T login to accounts via WiFi from an app, but use a https website from a browser.
Good luck to SCB customers.
thaiophilus

Post by thaiophilus »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:14 pm
bkkguy wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:58 pm https://www.google.com/search?q=securit ... ublic+wifi

The Norton site says DON'T login to accounts via WiFi from an app, but use a https website from a browser.
Good luck to SCB customers.
Norton would like you to protect yourself by buying a Norton product.

The security issues with unencrypted wifi are largely mitigated by end-to-end encrypting the session. Nowadays any websites following best practice will do exactly that, and any banking transaction certainly should. That's what HTTPS and TLS are for, and why they encourage you to look for the padlock icon indicating end-to-end encryption.

Logging in via an app ought to be just as secure as using a browser, provided the app correctly uses HTTPS/TLS to encrypt the session. The same applies to using a browser (which is after all just another app), of course. One would hope that someone puts some effort into getting these things right in banking apps.

(At home my bank encourages me to use its app, wifi or not. If I use its website via a browser it calls back using the app to authenticate me before I can log in to the website. )

YMMV, TiT, etc.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:14 pm Good luck to SCB customers.
I'm not even slightly worried. Do you truly believe the bank would be doing this if there is any cause for alarm? Sorry, but if I am going to pay attention to security software companies, Norton wouldn't even make my list.

Now if Kaspersky starts issuing warnings, that's when my eyebrows will raise.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:05 pm If I am going to pay attention to security software companies, Norton wouldn't even make my list
I'm not fan of them either. Only once in my life have I taken out a paid anti-virus subscription, for a Norton product, around about 2004.
During that year, with the paid for ant-virus, it was the only time I know my PC got infected with a virus.
I had to wipe the hard drive and do a fresh Windows install to fix it.

Ever since, I've been using free anti-virus, either AVG, Avira, Avast or more recently, the free windows default one.

A few years ago, Avast acquired AVG, then unfortunately I believe Norton acquired Avast.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't use the password manager for any bank or financial services company.

Incidentally, one of my UK stockbrokers has an app that opens a web page in a browser as part of the login process. Very clunky.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

It will be interesting to see how this new facial recognition stuff plays out when AI is in full gear??? I imagine there are already some criminal-minded genius's out there figuring our how to re-produce someone else's facial image on their smartphones...but this will probably take a bit of time. In the near-term we may see an increase in decapitations... :lol: