Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Facial recognition to be required for large bank app transactions

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:14 am Ever since, I've been using free anti-virus, either AVG, Avira, Avast or more recently, the free windows default one.
I don't want to get too far off topic, but I will say the only anti virus-malware software I have faith in is Kaspersky. Their free version offers more than some companies offer for their paid versions. Kaspersky works quite well for me. I suggest giving it a try.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I shall put Kapersky on my list.
However, in over 20 years of using the internet I have never had a known virus problem when using free anti-virus. I had one when paying Norton.

Getting back to the facial recognition matter, modern phones have login via PIN, fingerprint or facial recognition.
For banking and such services, login via fingerprint is common, but I have never seen facial recognition used. google searches suggest it is less secure.

So I find it slightly odd that Thai banks will use facial recognition. On the other hand, I suppose login via fingerprint, followed by a facial recognition check could be deemed as more secure?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Received July 8

Meanwhile, Siam Commercial Bank is saying facial recognition applies only to Thais, not to foreigners.

You figure it out. I'm not going to bother asking about facial recognition again unless I encounter problems without it.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Not to mention that SCB Easy was scrapped last week!
So now, I can no longer manage my account on my desktop P.C. and have to do everything via a smartphone.
I was happy for 22+ years at SCB but now I'm looking for another bank that still does internet banking.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bangkokian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:10 pm now I'm looking for another bank that still does internet banking.
All the other banks that had internet banking in the first place still do. None have announced anything about going to Smartphone only, although before opening an account elsewhere I would ask about it.

I don't mind losing the desktop access. Their smartphone app is very easy to use (although I better have my reading glasses when using it). My complaint is that both smartphone and desktop were available before - two devices. Along with my smartphone I also have a tablet, but while I can install the app on the tablet, I can't use it. I called SCB to ask about that. Their policy now is one device only, so it can be either smartphone or tablet, but not both. I am sticking with smartphone because wherever I go, the smartphone goes with me. I only take the tablet with me when necessary - and it hardly ever is necessary.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Bangkokian wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:10 pmI'm looking for another bank that still does internet banking.
Kasikorn still have it.
Telling SCB where to stick their business seems fair in the circumstances.
Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:03 pmI called SCB to ask about that. Their policy now is one device only, so it can be either smartphone or tablet, but not both.
At the moment, I can't think of any other bank or financial institution that restricts you to one device.

I like backup solutions. Without one, if you lose the device, or it fails, that's zero internet banking until you jump through all the hoops to add a second device.

As far as I can tell, it's standard practice for various service providers to inform you immediately when another device is added. So I see no reason at all why SCB could not do that. They could even restrict you to 2 devices and cross check when you add the second device.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:21 pm If you lose the device, or it fails, that's zero internet banking until you jump through all the hoops to add a second device.
I'm wondering why SCB did this in the first place. As far as I know they've made it clear what they are doing, but I haven't seen anything about why.

The main reason why I won't give up on SCB is because they are set up to make it very easy to handle several bills online, while other banks either make it difficult or unavailable at all.

With SCB I very easily pay my water bill, electric bill, telephone bill, and internet bill - and all of those had to be done on the smartphone all this time anyway. Those were never available on their internet site. For each of those it's open the SCB app, scan the QR code on the bill, review and confirm the payment. It takes about 15 seconds.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Life as a dinosaur:

I don't trust internet security when it comes to my finances. Never have - never will.

Life for me is so simple and uncomplicated - just the way I prefer it:

I drive to my insurance broker once a year to pay (In person) for my insurance policies, e.g. Health, Car, Motorbike. I hand them cash - they hand me the receipts - and it's done.

I walk into my condo office once a year to pay my annual co-owner fee. I hand them cash - they hand me a receipt - and it's done.

I pay my monthly electric bill at 7/11 as easy as buying a cupcake - pay with cash - they hand me a receipt - and it's done.

If was disabled I guess it would be a different story. But, as long as I still have legs that work I'm good to go.

The way I look at it; The more apps that are offered for on-line banking - the higher the risk. And life as a dinosaur is so simple without them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:24 am The way I look at it; The more apps that are offered for on-line banking - the higher the risk. And life as a dinosaur is so simple without them.
The way I look at it is exactly opposite. I love the online apps and trust that they are perfectly secure. I have no reason to think they're not. I've never had problem using them and I don't know anyone who has. I've never seen an article claiming someone managed to get into someone's online bank account and steal their money. Have you seen such an article or know anyone who lost money as a result of the banking apps?

I don't have to go anywhere to pay my bills and I don't have to go to a bank branch or an ATM to pull cash. I also don't have to worry about the cash being lost or stolen on my way to wherever I'm going. And with "scanner pay" it is even more secure.

Anyone who has had money stolen from their Thai bank account was a result of using a rigged ATM, but not the apps. You say the more of these apps offered, the more the risk. Where are you getting that from? I fail to see where there is any risk at all and I know of no evidence that there is any.

I'm glad your life as a dinosaur is so simple. For this dinosaur, the banking apps made my life even simpler . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:04 am
...... You say the more of these apps offered, the more the risk. Where are you getting that from?
I don't know anyone in Thailand personally who has been scammed using on-line banking apps - but never-the-less I still avoid using them based of what I see as "potential risk".

I understand that the convenience in-and-by-itself is reason for people to do online banking and don't mean to criticize those who do, I just prefer avoiding them because of the myriad of skilled hackers out there who seem to be multiplying almost as fast as these new technologies get developed. It's not so much about my "mistrust" in the banking apps - as it is my concern about criminal hackers who seem to be multiplying like flies and getting smarter every day.

Read a bit about it here:

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-centr ... ing-scams/