Bad bar news. Bid to extend drinking hours to 4:00am fails

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Bad bar news. Bid to extend drinking hours to 4:00am fails

Post by Gaybutton »

4 AM Closing Time for Nightspots in Tourism Areas Postponed Indefinitely, says Thai Minister of Tourism and Sports

By Tanakorn Panyadee

20 December, 2022

The proposal to allow nightspots in tourism areas to stay open until 4 AM has been postponed indefinitely, revealed the Minister of Tourism and Sports, Tuesday, December 20th.

The Cabinet has indefinitely postponed the proposed extension of nightlife venues’ legal closing time to 4 AM from 2 AM, according to Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn, who told reporters after today’s Cabinet meeting.

He added that the Cabinet said this time was not an appropriate time to do such a thing given the current situation, without giving further details.

This not-so-shocking move came after Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul declared on Monday, December 19th, that his ministry was firmly opposed to the proposal.

Anutin, who is the main supporter of cannabis legalization, gave his assurance to about 50 representatives of various civic groups that he prioritized the public’s well-being and safety more than the divisive extension.

He added that by allowing more hours for people to drink, the chances of binge drinking and drunk driving accidents would increase.

The business section, however, disagrees with Anutin as Thanawat Phonwichai, president of the University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said the proposal was worth trying because it would stimulate the economy and better the lives of nightlife workers.

“People are forced to make more money to match the rising living costs such as electricity bills,” said Thanawat.

Currently, the law permits the sale of alcohol in two-time blocks: from 11 AM to 2 PM and from 5 PM to midnight for vendors, and until 12 AM or 2 AM for night entertainment venues, depending on entertainment zones.

The National Alcoholic Beverage Policy Committee, led by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, will review the proposal again on December 22. However, its promulgation is pretty much a pipe dream according to many analysts.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/12/20/4 ... nd-sports/
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't see the problem with hours as they are, or even 24:00 closure. Are any board members here inconvenienced by 2:00 am closing ?

Anyone who wants to drink on past closing time can find bars open illegally.

If they allowed all bars to open until 4:00 am, that makes it too easy and tourists would be more likely to be woken up by other people returning to the hotel late at night.

If you go out to a bar at 7:00 pm, that's another 7 hours to find a boy or stuff yourself full of alcohol, as you prefer. I think its enough.

I'd rather that than the example of on one gay bar in Madrid that didn't even open until midnight.
Bangkokian

Post by Bangkokian »

Anyone who wants to drink on past closing time can find bars open illegally.
Would that be the official advice?
If you go out to a bar at 7:00 pm, that's another 7 hours to find a boy or stuff yourself full of alcohol, as you prefer. I think its enough.
Many tourists do NOT want to go out at 7 p/m.
I'd rather that than the example of on one gay bar in Madrid that didn't even open until midnight.
Sounds good to me. Something for everybody.
[/quote]
Jun

Post by Jun »

Imagine 4:00 am closing, Jomtien volume levels and making the error of staying in a nearby hotel.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:32 pm Imagine 4:00 am closing, Jomtien volume levels and making the error of staying in a nearby hotel.
Maybe not such an error. I have a farang friend currently staying at the Agate in Jomtien Complex, but he says in his room he is not hearing any of the noise.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I suspect most of the Agate rooms don't face onto the soi, which must help noise levels.
The places on the same street as the bars and backing onto them must be more of a problem.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:25 am
The places on the same street as the bars and backing onto them must be more of a problem.
If any of you are staying in any of the Jomtien Complex hotels, please let us know which hotel you are in, whether your room faces toward or away from the complex, and whether you're hearing the noise when you're in your room. No offense, but I would rather get the hotel room noise information from those actually staying in these hotels rather than guessing.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:38 pm No offense, but I would rather get the hotel room noise information from those actually staying in these hotels rather than guessing.
I would also rather get information from those staying in such hotels.
Until I do get such information, I shall play it safe and stay well away.