The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: The Latest - restrictions, visas, entry requirements, etc.

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand’s updated ‘Sandbox Entry’ rules effective from March 1

By Pattaya Mail

March 1, 2022

NOTE: Too long an article and too many graphics for me to place it all on the board. Click the link below to see the article. I suggest those of you who wish to go to Thailand within the foreseeable future read the article very carefully.

https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnew ... h-1-390922
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:31 pm I suggest those of you who wish to go to Thailand within the foreseeable future read the article very carefully.
Much of that content is for "Sandbox" programmes. I suggest any one going to Thailand uses a "Test & Go" scheme instead and they should probably start off in Bangkok or Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Not surprisingly, the tourism industry and Pattaya business leaders are calling for an end to all Covid restrictions despite the recent surge in Covid case numbers (see: https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ons-391406 )

I can't imagine that actually happening, at least not within the foreseeable future. One of Thailand's latest tourism schemes, "We Travel Together", simply is not working. The hope was it would attract large numbers of tourists, but it has not happened. As far as I can tell, literally none of the tourism schemes have worked. Now, on top of that, the Russia-Ukraine conflict has made matters even worse in Thailand. Many Russians won't be traveling to Thailand as had been hoped and many Russians already in Thailand are trying to return home. Those who have no access to their money due to the sanctions are stuck. How would you like to suddenly find yourself stuck in a foreign country, no access to your money, and no means of returning home?

‘We Travel Together’ a dud for Pattaya

By Pattaya Mail

March 6, 2022

The government’s latest “We Travel Together” subsidized- tourism scheme has been a dud for Pattaya, said the Thai Hotels Association Eastern Chapter.

President Phisut Sae-khu said March 4 that that only 900,000 of the available 2 million discounted hotel nights have been booked since the fourth phase of the program launched last year.

Pattaya is seeing hardly any of those bookings due to the skyrocketing number of Covid-19 cases across the country and the fact the beginning of the year includes few long holidays.

“The real test will come at Songkran”, Phisut said. “But, if things continue as they are, Pattaya won’t get a bounce from the Thai New Year either”, he predicted.

The coronavirus surge prompted city hall to cancel all tourism-promotion activities and gatherings of 50 or more people. The government also is considering canceling all Songkran festivities for a third year in a row. “Combine that with virus fear and the fallout on tourism from the Russia-Ukraine war and it adds up to a quiet April for Pattaya”, Phisut said.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... aya-391385

Russians in Thailand feel sting of Ukraine invasion

By Pattaya Mail

March 6, 2022

Russian tourists in Thailand are experiencing problems with financial transactions due to sanctions stemming from their country’s invasion of Ukraine.

The report claimed Ukrainian tourists in Thailand are also having trouble with travel due to European and Russian airspace closures and airline bans.

Supposedly some tourists have been unable to find a way back home.

Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, Deputy Governor for International Marketing Europe Africa and Middle East and Americas, Tourism Authority of Thailand says that Russian and Ukrainian tourists in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui and other tourist destinations have not been able to use their credit cards nor transfer money to and from their countries.

Mayor Sonthaya Kunplome said the impact of the war on the city’s property market and retail industry are minimal and any dip will recover in a short time.

https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/ ... ion-391392
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya city to allow food cart vendors near Tukcom and Wat Chai to stay open to 1:00 AM after continued requests

By Goong Nang(GN)

6 March, 2022

Vendors on South Pattaya Tai in front of the Chai Monkol Temple near Walking Street and Tukcom have been asking Pattaya City officials for over a month to change the legal market times for them to sell due to fewer customers.

After a major meeting yesterday, it appears their request has been granted, at least for now.

A meeting yesterday (March 5th) was held at Pattaya City Hall. About 85 vendors, most of them food cart vendors, met with the Pattaya City Deputy Mayor Wuttisak Riumkitkan. All of them wanted the opportunity to stay open “late”, especially to serve customers going to and from entertainment venues that have reopened, albeit as temporary “restaurants.”

Vendors said at the meeting that the current legal selling times on the side of South Pattaya Tai in front of the Chai Monkol Temple up to Tukcom is from 11:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M. However, due to the Covid-19 pandemic, not many residents and tourists visit the market compared to pre-covid. Additionally, the hours had not taken into account the fact that entertainment venues were slowly easing restrictions and customers and staff were returning.

Vendors had tried for several weeks now to set up stalls at 6:00 P.M. for evening foot traffic which has attracted more people to the market. Pattaya City Law Enforcement, however, has chased them out from the area, shut them down, and even fined them. Law enforcement claimed vendors had blocked foot traffic in public areas and operated over the legal time.

Mr. Wuttisak stated at the meeting, “Pattaya City Law Enforcement has to do their job and are only following current orders in place and have done nothing wrong. However, we are temporarily changing legal selling times to allow 6:00 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. for two months following vendor requests as a test. If this trial is successful and doesn’t cause traffic or congestion issues, it may become permanent.”

The two-month trial should start nearly immediately and covers the area near the baht bus stop at the Second Road intersection to the Tukcom area, allowing dozens of street vendors to stay open late, pleasing both vendors and customers.

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/03/06/p ... -requests/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thai Public Health Ministry backtracks on its proposal to remove mandatory facial masks, says was a misunderstanding

By Nop Meechukhun

17 March, 2022

The permanent secretary of the Ministry of Public Health denied the Ministry had proposed to cancel mandatory wearing of facial masks in parks and concerts as reported across Thai media yesterday, March 16th, calling it a “misunderstanding.”

Permanent Secretary Dr. Kiattipoom Wongrachit clarified today, March 17th, following the news stating that the Ministry of Public Health would propose a plan to remove wearing facial masks to the Center of the Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) on Friday that it was a misunderstanding. He said that he did not say such a proposal during a press conference yesterday.

According to his statement, he only stated that the Ministry would only introduce the four-month timeframe of shifting the Covid-19 pandemic to an endemic disease and plans to prevent and control the disease among the risk groups, especially the ‘608’ groups (the elders, patients with severe health conditions, and pregnant women).

Regarding the issue of removing facial masks, Dr. Kiattipoom continued that if the endemic plan was approved and properly implemented, other measures may be relaxed in the future which may possibly include the mandatory facial masks in some areas such as public areas like parks and outside. But it was not something that could be issued immediately and would not be discussed at this week’s major CCSA meeting.

“If everything went according to the plans and measures, we could eventually call an end to the great pandemic and end all restrictions and mandates. However, it must be subject to the condition that there were no more severe variants. We never intended to lift everything at once like some countries and will take things slowly and cautiously,” the Permanent Secretary added.

TPN notes that there is no “law” around wearing masks, as that requires Parliament. However, the mandates, which are in effect in every province and Bangkok in Thailand, fall under emergency health measures and mandates in effect from provincial governors under the direction of the Ministry of the Interior and can, contrary to some belief, lead to fines under Covid-19 rules. Technically, masks are required in all public areas, even if completely alone outside, including driving a motorbike. In terms of a car, if there are more than two people in a vehicle, face masks must be worn under the current mandates.

The mandates have been widely accepted by most Thais without complaint, notes TPN media, but have seen increasing complaints, anger, and criticism from foreigners, especially tourists in terms of outdoor mandates, whose countries have completely lifted mask mandates and may not be used to the heat. In tourist-heavy areas, like Pattaya, Phuket, or Samui, mask-wearing compliance has, based on local observance and social media commentary, fallen significantly, although remains strong in other parts of the country.

https://tpnnational.com/2022/03/17/thai ... rstanding/
Jun

Post by Jun »

I complied with the Thai mask rules when in Thailand.
However, effectively I was required to wear a mask in conditions where I was outdoors and there was no one within 100 metres, yet the moment I go indoors into a restaurant, bar or coffee shop, of course mask wearing was not required. And it can not be reasonably required.

Since masks have such limitations, perhaps Thailand ought to look at more robust measures, like persuading a higher percentage of the elderly to get vaccinated.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:14 pm perhaps Thailand ought to look at more robust measures, like persuading a higher percentage of the elderly to get vaccinated.
Perhaps it isn't that these people need to be persuaded. I'm wondering where most of the Thai people who still are not vaccinated are located. If they live in cities it isn't much of a problem for them to get to the vaccination centers. But if they are rural, just getting to vaccination centers can be a real problem. They might not be opposed to vaccinations, but simply can't get to a vaccination center. Many live long distances from places where they can get vaccinated and have no transportation or are disabled or simply can't handle a multi-hour trip.

I believe in many cases that is the problem. But local clinics are much closer and many at least can get to those, but local clinics are not authorized to administer the vaccines. Maybe allowing local clinics to administer the vaccines could solve a lot of the problem. Perhaps allowing the provincial governments to bring vaccines to those people. If they can't get to a place to get a vaccination, then bring the vaccines to them.

I have no idea whether anything like that would be practical, but if it is, then a lot more people can get vaccinated.
Daleinpattaya

Post by Daleinpattaya »

There is quite a bit of international press about the sad state of affairs re the vaccination rate in Africa … obviously the primary cause is the lack of refrigeration for transport and storage of vaccines … I suspect this would be similar to much of rural Thailand.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:25 am Perhaps it isn't that these people need to be persuaded. I'm wondering where most of the Thai people who still are not vaccinated are located. If they live in cities it isn't much of a problem for them to get to the vaccination centers. But if they are rural, just getting to vaccination centers can be a real problem. They might not be opposed to vaccinations, but simply can't get to a vaccination center. Many live long distances from places where they can get vaccinated and have no transportation or are disabled or simply can't handle a multi-hour trip.

I believe in many cases that is the problem. But local clinics are much closer and many at least can get to those, but local clinics are not authorized to administer the vaccines. Maybe allowing local clinics to administer the vaccines could solve a lot of the problem. Perhaps allowing the provincial governments to bring vaccines to those people. If they can't get to a place to get a vaccination, then bring the vaccines to them.
I'd like to see some data on that, but being in a rural area doesn't have to mean lower vaccination rates.
In the UK, despite people often having to travel 10 miles or more for a vaccination, the vaccination rates are far higher than in urban areas.

Assuming you're correct about this in Thailand, there's no reason that rural living has to be a barrier. The Astra Zeneca vaccine can be stored in something equivalent to a domestic refrigerator. The Pfizer vaccine has some shipping packs with dry ice, so it can be transported without refrigerators. Plus various other solutions.

Obviously I only read the English language news in Thailand, but presume this carries the main news items that are covered in the Thai press.
It's full of stories about boosters and 4th doses, but there is no talk at all the people who haven't been vaccinated.

I suspect the problem is they're not focused on the topic, so it gets ignored.
This is unfortunate, as it would be far better to make sure the high risk people are persuaded to take at least 2 vaccines, including an mRNA vaccine than to persist with restrictions on people's freedom.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:12 pm I'd like to see some data on that, but being in a rural area doesn't have to mean lower vaccination rates.
In the UK . . .
I don't know why you compare what takes place in the UK with what takes place in Thailand. I think the countries are too different for a comparison to really be valid in this case.

When it comes to the reasons why people in Thailand have not been vaccinated, we're dealing with "perhaps". Whatever the reasons may be, I certainly agree too many people have not been vaccinated or have not been properly vaccinated. Unless the powers-that-be do something to effectively deal with the problem, then it will continue to be a problem.