New 90-day address report online launched

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: New 90-day address report online launched

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:12 pm they now will issue the O Visa for retirement which has been available all along from Thai Embassies and Consulates in other countries.
Am I following you correctly? The O visa has been available outside of Thailand all along? Why didn't we know this? All this time and all these years it has been my understanding that the O visa is issued only within Thailand. Until your post, no one has ever said anything different. Are you saying the O visa was always available at the Thai embassies and consulates in some countries, but not in others? In which countries could people have gotten the O visa instead of the O-A.

Are you also saying that now the O visa is now available in all the Thai embassies and consulates regardless of their previous policy?

This is all news to me.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:10 pm Am I following you correctly? The O visa has been available outside of Thailand all along? Why didn't we know this? All this time and all these years it has been my understanding that the O visa is issued only within Thailand. Until your post, no one has ever said anything different. Are you saying the O visa was always available at the Thai embassies and consulates in some countries, but not in others? In which countries could people have gotten the O visa instead of the O-A.
The Thai embassy in London doesn't accept in person applications and refers us to the Thai government visa website to apply online.
The Thai government visa website has O-A and O-X visas (link below).

I do not see an O-visa. If it's hidden elsewhere, perhaps someone could provide a link. Otherwise, I would assume it's not available from the UK.

https://thaievisa.go.th/visa/long-stay-visa
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Regarding the online app for the 90-day address report, today I submitted mine. No changes of any kind. It's the same as it has always been.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:10 pm
Am I following you correctly? The O visa has been available outside of Thailand all along? Why didn't we know this? All this time and all these years it has been my understanding that the O visa is issued only within Thailand. Until your post, no one has ever said anything different. Are you saying the O visa was always available at the Thai embassies and consulates in some countries, but not in others? In which countries could people have gotten the O visa instead of the O-A.

Are you also saying that now the O visa is now available in all the Thai embassies and consulates regardless of their previous policy?

This is all news to me.
As I mentioned and as shown on the link to the Thai Embassy in Washington, DC, the category "O" visa is not just for the purpose of retirement. It can be for many different purposes with married to a Thai or related to a Thai being probably the most common reason.

As for getting one for purpose of retirement, that will depend on the Embassy/Consulate where one applies for the Visa. As I noted, some 20+ years ago when I inquired at the DC Thai Embassy, they would not issue it and insisted I use the apply for a category O-A - because of time constraints I had at the time, I decided to get a Tourist Visa and applied at the "Honorary" Consul in Dallas, TX (I lived in neighboring Fort Worth at the time) - However, I received a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, multiple entry. How that came about is another story, I will not go into that unless someone asks me to tell it (a few years later, the authority for Honorary Thai Consuls to issue Non-Immigrant Visas (of any category as I recall was revoked by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MofFA)).

As to availability at all Thai Embassies/Consulates, I can't say, e.g., for some countries, not sure which, their citizens can't even get a Tourist Visa - I believe the MofFA has info available regarding what countries can apply for what category of Visas. However, I know that at that time as well as now, one can get the Category "O" Visa from neighboring countries (Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia) - many married/related to a Thai do this. Retirees can also obtain an "O" Visa by showing they meet the age and financial requirements that is necessary for retirees to get one year extensions.

Although it will not apply to gay folks, the spouse of foreign retirees in Thailand can "piggy back" on their spouses retirement extension (whether using O or O-A or other category) - that is apply for extension based on their spouse having one (includes retirees)- the ending date for the extension they get will coincide with that of their spouse. But, unlike retirees, they cannot apply for the category O Visa in Thailand. They have to get it from a Thai Embassy or Consulate. They then get a 90 day permission to stay upon arrival, then apply to extend based on their spouse already having an extension.

As to E Visas, it could well be the case they don't offer an "O" visa for retirement purposes, preferring that applicants go for the "O-A" or O-X" category. Also, that countries where to obtain a Visa, the applicant has to use the E Visa, it would preclude them getting it in those countries. However, where the Embassy/Consulate does not use the E Visa system, it would still be available for those going to the Embassy/Consulate to get the Visa.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

That is all much too complicated and convoluted for me. If looking for the retirement visa, I would get it within Thailand where it will be the "O" visa. If you need to open a Thai bank account, but are unable to get it on your own, go to MOTS or whatever visa service and have them get it for you.

Seems like the simplest way to me. Within Thailand getting the "O" visa you won't be asked for medical reports, police reports, proof of insurance, or anything similar.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I agree, why make things harder than need be.
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Jun wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:32 pm The Thai embassy in London doesn't accept in person applications and refers us to the Thai government visa website to apply online.
The Thai government visa website has O-A and O-X visas (link below).

I do not see an O-visa. If it's hidden elsewhere, perhaps someone could provide a link. Otherwise, I would assume it's not available from the UK.

https://thaievisa.go.th/visa/long-stay-visa
https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/retirement-visa
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

2lz2p wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 am I received a phone call from a close friend whose most recent (this past week) online 90 day report was rejected and the message said for him to report to Immigration immediately.

He went to Jomtien Immigration office and was directed inside the main building to the 90 day reporting desk. He said she told him the new system just implemented is now all automated and she is no longer involved in the review and approval process.

She told him his online report was rejected because the new system has the passport number from his last entry into Thailand, not his new passport number which he has been using for the past 8 years.

She said the new system will now reject reports that do not include the previous "on entry" passport number. Further, Immigration is working to correct the problem but has no idea if and when it will be corrected. Until it does, those whose passport number has changed since their last entry will have their reports rejected and will need to report in person.

I am providing this information as a "heads up" notice in case your next online 90 day address report gets rejected as this may be the reason.
UPDATE!
Yesterday morning (8:54am), I submitted my online 90 day address report expecting it might be rejected based on the above referenced telephone call. I received an email at 8:49pm saying the application was APPROVED (the approved TM.47 was attached as a pdf file as usual). My last entry into Thailand was in 2008 - my current passport was issued in April 2014.

So, if there was a problem as my friend was told by the Immigration Officer, it apparently has been fixed.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

I'm going tomorrow to do my 90 day reporting exactly the same as I've been doing for years.

I don't mind going at all...only takes an hour...don't want to be bothered with the app, or for that fact any app created in Thailand. I'm retired...can do whatever I want - whenever I want - have all the time in the world...and when I leave immigration I head right over to the gay beach area to frolic with the natives. Works for me...always has.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:40 am have all the time in the world

and when I leave immigration I head right over to the gay beach area to frolic with the natives.
Retired and have all the time in the world? Maybe, but that inevitable clock doesn't stop ticking.

Frolic with the natives? Are there any?