chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:55 pm Tourism and the virus
I agree with every word of that article. Once again it is a perfect example of the mistake of catering to one group, not necessarily to the exclusion of others, but definitely ignoring others.

A couple years ago a friend and I wanted to try a large Chinese restaurant we noticed on Pattaya Tai. When we walked in the staff looked at us as if we were insane. One staff member who spoke reasonable English explained to us that they serve only the Chinese tour bus groups. We were refused service and asked to leave.

That has come back to haunt them now and if they go out of business, as far as I'm concerned they're getting what they deserve. Even if they start opening up to non-Chinese customers, I for sure will not be among them.

With this number of businesses suffering and who knows how many jobs lost, if these venues, large and small, ever manage to recover, I hope this time they'll have sense enough to cater to everybody, not just one specific group.

I sympathize with and feel sorry for the Thai workers on the bottom rung of the ladder losing their jobs and sources of income, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for the bigwig investors who thought catering virtually exclusively to the Chinese tourists was a great idea.

And the Pattaya powers-that-be - you know, the ones who thought it was a set of great ideas putting all kinds of restrictions on the beaches, controlling opening and closing times of entertainment venues - forcing them to close hours before holiday makers want to stop having fun, trying to change Pattaya's paradigm to make it a "family oriented" holiday spot, coming up with absurd regulations about guest houses and hotels - look where all this nonsense got them. Now they preside over a city going broke. And I think that would eventually have happened anyway with or without the Chinese tourists.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:49 pm I agree with every word of that article. Once again it is a perfect example of the mistake of catering to one group, not necessarily to the exclusion of others, but definitely ignoring others.
In some cases, an element of segregation helps.

I don't want to share a hotel with people who want to party all night. Some hotel reviews contain reports of bad behaviour from Arab and Indian customers. Therefore, I would rather they stayed in one hotel and I stayed in another.
That's not racism, since I'm fairly sure a lot of young Europeans party all night and behave badly on holiday. It's just that most of them go on holiday to Spain, Greece etc, not Pattaya.
Admittedly I also dislike the behaviour of older Arabs.

Also, if there are businesses that cater mainly to Chinese tour groups and others that discourage them, that suits me fine. Guess where I'm going ? Large groups tend to be noisy. I don't mind one or two Chinese as they tend to be well behaved.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Blames white foreigners for what? Thailand has one of the lowest levels of infection in the world at 1.1 person per million. So they are not being infected by us whites are they?
Compare that with Italy, the highest in the world, at 250 persons per million.
But of course they don’t think that way!
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Health Minister blames White Foreigners:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:13 pm Health Minister blames White Foreigners
See my comment above ....crossed
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:13 pm Health Minister blames White Foreigners
Who is this guy anyway, Thailand's answer to Donald Trump? Some of the claims and statements he makes go beyond outrageous and are also, to put it as politely as I can, inaccurate.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

gerefan wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:12 pm Thailand has one of the lowest levels of infection in the world at 1.1 person per million.
Compare that with Italy, the highest in the world, at 250 persons per million.
Remember "M" denotes "thousand", not "million". So, the last column is "cases per thousand", not million. That means that Italy is suffering with 25 percent of its population infected and Thailand has (so far) only .1 percent. Sorry to nitpick.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:36 pm
Who is this guy anyway, Thailand's answer to Donald Trump? Some of the claims and statements he makes go beyond outrageous and are also, to put it as politely as I can, inaccurate.
I hope “White Foreigners” get wind of this and decide to go elsewhere!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

1 By my reckoning, Iceland and San Marino are far worse than Italy for DECLARED infections per capita. But that doesn't get onto the Worldmeters site.
The number of declared infections will to some extent be linked to testing availability and honesty of the authorities.

2 Thailand should sack the health minister. If he was in any European country (with a handful of exceptions), he would be sacked. I would
hope that a few ambassadors kick up a stink, since someone needs to start putting pressure on.

With face masks, I think there is an underlying explanation in that the medical advice between the West and Asia seems to differ.

In the UK, the advice is mostly that masks have no effect. I believe it's the same with the US CDC. Farang don't wear face masks because of the advice.

Asia encourages wearing them and it's been mandatory in China. The Thai government has been handing them out. [Mind you, one of their responses to air pollution is static mist sprays, so supporting placebos is not unknown]

Of course, surely there cannot be 2 different answers to this face mask decision ?

Here is the WHO guidance.

" If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.
Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.
Masks are effective only when used in combination with frequent hand-cleaning with alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.
If you wear a mask, then you must know how to use it and dispose of it properly."

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... -use-masks

Undaunted wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:23 pmI hope “White Foreigners” get wind of this and decide to go elsewhere!
Assuming you fit in the "White Foreigners" category, have you decided to go elsewhere ? After all, if that's your recommendation....

For what it's worth, I expect to carry on spending a few months a year in SE Asia.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

RichLB wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:59 pm Remember "M" denotes "thousand", not "million". So, the last column is "cases per thousand", not million. That means that Italy is suffering with 25 percent of its population infected and Thailand has (so far) only .1 percent. Sorry to nitpick.
Sorry Rich, you are reading the table incorrectly.
If Italy had 25% of the population affected they would have 15,000,000 cases. Population is 60,000,000!