12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Anything and everything about Thailand
thaifarang

Re: 12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Post by thaifarang »

Gaybutton wrote:
windwalker wrote:they owe you no explanation.
And he's not going to get one, other than to say I didn't work 20 years. I worked 30 years, starting at age 21. Thaifarang's 'calculations' show him that having money enough to retire in one's fifties is impossible. Meanwhile, here I am. Apparently his 'calculations' don't take retirement pensions into consideration.

Anything else about my source of income is nobody's business but my own. In fact, what I included in this post is really nobody's business but my own.
But it is logic. Working x years and then living for free x years is not possible. Because during these x years you are working you can not save 100% of your income. Maybe only 5%. So how can it be done? Other then that really the tax payers are funding it.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Quite simple thaifarang, many of us were born into wealthy families!

You posted this comment a while back, and how so true it is:

Thanks, but I am boring company guys. I really am incapable of small talk. I fall silent fast. It really is boring being with me. :-)
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

windwalker wrote:Quite simple thaifarang, many of us were born into wealthy families!
Ah, so every one retiring at age 50 just got a big inheritance? That explains it.

That also explains why almost 100% of people do not retire at 50. It must surely mean that it is far from easy to retire at 50 if you live an honest life (that is not fake a work disability or get rich from crime). If it was easy why do 99.9% of people not retire at 50? Even gay singles, most still work at 50.
Surely it is far from easy to retire at 50 and pretty suspect if you can do it. I would say it warrants an investigation by law enforcement. But nothing to fear of course, a big inheritance is proof enough.

(And how strange no one tells how they could retire at 50, I don't mean 58, I mean 50.)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaifarang wrote:But it is logic. Working x years and then living for free x years is not possible.
Ok, ok - you got me. I admit it. I'm really not retired. Living in Thailand is just a figment of my imagination (I'm really living in a makeshift cardboard shelter behind an Albanian restaurant in Nacogdoches). And of course the people who know me and say that I'm living in Thailand - well, they're all just lying . . .

My friend, if you still can't figure out that for many people, working enough years to build up a retirement pension, enough to live comfortably in Thailand, own one's home, own a car or motorbike along with it, be able to afford insurance, maintenance, etc. and still have enough left over to do anything you please or buy anything you please means that you must have lived a life of virtual poverty, are faking disability, inherited a fortune, or requires that you must have lived a successful life of crime - then the only response to that I can think of is you're giving a whole new meaning to the word "clueless."

If you can't do the same as so many of us have done, maybe you have the wrong job.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Is it possible you think to work 1 hour and then be free from the money you earned for 1 month? Then work another hour and then be free again for 1 month? Not possible. Unless your hourly rate is an average monthly salary.

Is it possible to work 1 month and then be free for 1 year? Then work again 1 month and be free again for 1 year? Not possible unless your monthly salary is so high it equals an average yearly salary.

Is it possible to work 20 years and then have so much saved you can live from it 20 years in retirement till legal retirement age? Not possible with legal means. Possible if in reality tax payers fund your income, you can't save x yearly salaries by working x years.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Ok thaifarang let's see if we can help you. First give the following info:

1. How old are you?
2. What country do you live in?
3. What is your salary...In euros, dollars, whatever?
4. How much money do you have?
5. Do you own your own house, condo etc. and what is its current market value?
6. Do you have income from any sources other than your salary? Be specific.
7. How much is your total monthly living expense?
8. You are old, but I presume still working... Do you have a work pension, private pension, and or government pension? Be specific as to how much you have in each...and if you stop working how much will each give you monthly?
9. How much income tax did you pay last year? Were there unreported earnings if so from where and how much...? Once again BE SPECIFIC!

I normally am paid for my financial expertise, I currently advise El Chappo, formally John Gotti and the late Roy Cohn, as your situation is so dire I will do it on a pro bono basis.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Quite obvious what thaifarang does for a living, he is a troll. :!:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:Quite obvious what thaifarang does for a living, he is a troll. :!:
Let's save the accusations - for now. Let's see if Undaunted's questions get answered - and answered honestly. After all, someone who asks others to provide personal information to a complete stranger on a message board open for anyone in the entire world to read, and through innuendo accuses anyone who was able to retire at 50 of probably being a criminal who should be investigated by law enforcement, ought to be willing to answer those kinds of questions about himself.

Someone who does that can't possibly be a troll, can he?

Where's Bernie Madoff when you need him?
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

I will not answer these very private questions. The questions I have for you are not that private.

1) Why do most people (almost 100%) not retire at age 50 if it is so easy? Most would love to.
2) Why is everyone so held back about how they did it? Something to hide?
3) Is it possible you think to work 1 hour and then be free from the money you earned for 1 month? Then work another hour and then be free again for 1 month? Not possible. Unless your hourly rate is an average monthly salary.
4) Is it possible to work 1 month and then be free for 1 year? Then work again 1 month and be free again for 1 year? Not possible unless your monthly salary is so high it equals an average yearly salary.
5) Is it possible to work 20 years and then have so much saved you can live from it 20 years in retirement till legal retirement age? Not possible with legal means. Possible if in reality tax payers fund your income, you can't save x yearly salaries by working x years. Show me please a calculation, doesn't have to be your case, just made up, I dont mind, how it could be done. An example with average monthly salaries. How you can retire at 50 in such an example and still have a normal live during your working years (I can of course understand how it can be done if someone makes 100.000 a month and I can also understand of course how it can be done if you lived under a bridge and saved 90% of your income each year you worked.)
artic55

Post by artic55 »

I think thaifarang has a valid point here, vast majority of of working class people in the west can not retire at the age of 50, simply due to financial reasons. There are exceptions of course but the general rule is much closer to 60+. In my opinion the way to early retirement or early semi retirement is to work interdependently. I have been in semi retirement now for 12 years. I work as a technical consultant, usually about 6 months a year in various locations around the world and 6 months off for travel and leisure. There are a few tricks as how to do this legally, and if someone is interested pls feel free to drop me IM. I never planed early retirement, it just worked out this way and................ I love it.