Bar Reports

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Bar Reports

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:37 pmFor me, at the prices the Bangkok bars charge, along with the "tip" amounts the boys demand, no matter what the boys are wearing, I'll stick with the apps
If any of the Bangkok gogo bars had cute twinks either in underwear, or naked, I would probably occasionally go there for one drink.
None of them even get over this hurdle.

To go one step further & off a lad, I would need to consider if he's an exceptional case, as the whole experience is likely to cost me double what meeting an app boy does & he's likely to be more rushed, offering a lower level of service.
So pay more, get less.
I guess many other people are thinking the same way, which is why there are very few gogo bars left now & no proper gogo bars with twinks.

These days, I find the main attractions in Bangkok are the food, the sightseeing and the app boys. Not the bars.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Golden Cock/ Nature Boys seems to have turned into a locals bar for Thai in the bar industry. Jay will call a boy if you ask him for one. It could also be a place to screen boys from the apps before taking them home. There is no room available to rent
SP55

Post by SP55 »

Jun wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:36 pm I guess many other people are thinking the same way, which is why there are very few gogo bars left now & no proper gogo bars with twinks.

These days, I find the main attractions in Bangkok are the food, the sightseeing and the app boys. Not the bars.
I agree with you. I find the Bangkok gogo bars very little value for money and most of them not even entertaining. If I want a boy in Bangkok I go to the apps or visit the massageplaces in Saphan Kwai.

On my last visit to a Bangkok gogo bar - that I will not name because of the crazy thai law against "defamation" - earlier this year the staff outside the bar had signs with photos and bars name etc but no prices. Now why wouldn´t they display prices? But they assured me it was 450 baht for drink. So I went in just beacause I was bored and was hoping for some entertainment. Even though I have been disappointed in the Bangkok bars for years.

I sat down and got a menu. But the menu only displayed drinks without prices. Now why would they have a menu without prices? But I was assured by the waiter that drinks were 450 baht each. I ordered a drink and got it. They put a slip in the bin at my table but when looking at the slip it only contained the name of my drink and not the price. Now why wouldn´t it say the price like it does in any normal bar or restaurant?

After looking at a very boring show that was very much more dressed and non-naughty than in previous years, I wanted to pay up and leave.
The staff that had served me the drink was nowhere to be found but another waiter came to my table, took the slip without price and went to the register to exchange it for another slip that contained the price and handed it over to me. Do you think the price was 450 baht? No of course not. It was 500 baht. The staff was of course clueless how someone could have told me 450 earlier - "I not know who you talk to". After living many years in Thailand I know that it´s not worth the risk of being beaten bloody in a bar over 50 baht so I just paid up and will never return to that bar.
Jun

Post by Jun »

SP55 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:49 am After living many years in Thailand I know that it´s not worth the risk of being beaten bloody in a bar over 50 baht so I just paid up and will never return to that bar.
Thank you for the warning. Hints about the name or location of the offending bar are also appreciated. Although the lack of pricing on the drinks menu should remind me, in the unlikely event that I visit.

Good bar management should have learned not to lose a customer for life, by scamming him out of an extra 10% on one drink. With gross margins of over 90%, they just need to try harder to keep him coming back.
I also thought bars were supposed to have a published price list by law.

There is an increasing trend for Jomtien bars to give you a numbered card in the check bin. You only have sight of the tab at the end of the evening. Of course, there are two big differences. The Jomtien bars usually have a price list and they are mostly honest businesses that don't set out to scam their customers.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

SP55 wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:49 am Do you think the price was 450 baht? No of course not. It was 500 baht. The staff was of course clueless how someone could have told me 450 earlier - "I not know who you talk to". After living many years in Thailand I know that it´s not worth the risk of being beaten bloody in a bar over 50 baht so I just paid up and will never return to that bar.
That demonstrates how stupid and greedy some of these places are. If they were smart, they would have given you a bill for 400 baht and said "We give you discount. We hope to see you again."

If they had done something like that instead of worrying about 50 baht, instead of losing a potential return customer they would have gained one.

You were right to just pay and leave. I see too many stories about bar staff attacking customers for various reasons, especially when it's an argument about the bill. Sometimes they get arrested or just called to the police station, but rarely any stories about what happens to them after that. My guess is they're all back at work that very night.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Siem Reap Gay Bars:
Luuma Bar is new to me. Tony the owner only allows gay men in the bar on Tuesday through Sunday. Monday everyone is allowed to come. Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 22:00 there is a limited show with three boys. No Lady Boys. The boys dance to music and then come around to the tables to interaction with customers. They are still figuring this out but the last two weeks the boys started to get down to their underwear after a few acts and they were happy to receive tips into their pants. But these are local Cambodian boys and just learning how this works. The bar is small but Tony is trying to get things going again in Siem Reap.
Rendezvous Bar:
Another fairly new bar. Again small bar as is Luuma but located across the street from Luuma in the Pub Street area. Both bars are located in alleys but they have a sign on the street sidewalk directing you into the alley. This bar is more of a chatting bar. There are three staff and they have pretty good English and will engage with conversation. No shows but they seems to be popular with lots of folks just drinking and talking with each other and the staff.
So it appears the gay bar scene is starting to sprout buds in Siem Reap.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Winner
About 6-7 boys on the premises, naturally in underwear. About 3 of which would be off candidates, except that the selection down the road in Jomiten is just amazing. Draught beer 99 baht, served, as usual, by one of the boys off the stage. Far better than having waiters.

Jomtien
The standard of lads here is exceptional. Even walking from M-Bar to the bottom of the main street, there are numerous very cute lads. After visiting M-Bar, I visited another bar and invited a slim Cambodian lad to sit with me. Late 20s, but looking younger and with slim hair free legs. Small short denim shorts. Eventually, his friend arrives from another bar.

I know his friend quite well and receive a couple of playfully kicks on the leg from him, when he comes over to chat with my latest Cambodian lad.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Enjoying the company of another board member to visit some gogo bars.

Winner Boys
Approximately 10 boys on the premises, of which at least a couple were offable.
Things got really interesting when one lad attempted to remove the underwear of another. Eventually he succeeded, with the assistance of the tomboy bar tender. :P
Draught Beer 99. Singha 125

Toy Boys
Back on form!
Many boys on the premises, including some very fine skinny twinks and some more muscular guys. Most of the twinks and average guys were in underwear, but a few of the muscular guys were in jeans.
This is the best selection that I've seen in a gogo bar for some time.
We started speculating on why the selection is soo much better than at Winner and figured they must be recruiting from Cambodia and Laos.
One cute and friendly lad visited the bathroom when I was there and confirmed he's from Cambodia. We eventually heard that most are from Laos and Cambodia.

We then started discussing pricing. Almost 10 years ago, this bar was pushing the idea that "minimum Toy Boys tip is 1500". Now in 2023, perhaps this is in the right ballpark, but when they first started, it seemed high.
We eventually found their price guide:
Boy drink:300
Boy tip:200
Short Time:1500
Long time:3000
Off:500

I also paid 280 for a beer and got a free second beer. Which makes the pricing reasonable.
So the short time recommended tip hasn't increased. The off fee is lower than Nice Boys (I haven't been in there, but believe it was reported as 600).
The only high price is 3000 long time. I believe 2000 is still the commonly quoted long time fee, although that's probably due for an increase.
Uncomfortable seating.

Classic Boys
The interior is exactly as I remember it from the Cupidol days. No need to change that.
Lads in white underwear.
A fairly good selection of boys. Not up to the high standards of Toy Boys, but ahead of Winner.
Slightly louder music, but not excessively loud and the choice of music seemed to get the boys moving a little.
Beer 250 baht.

Toy Boys is the pick of the crop here.
Where else in the world could you find a proper gogo bar with so many nice lads in underwear?
KeithAmbrose

Post by KeithAmbrose »

Any bars there where underwear comes off?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

KeithAmbrose wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:13 pm Any bars there where underwear comes off?
The only Pattaya bar I can think of where for sure that happens is the mini bar in your hotel room . . .