12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: 12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted wrote:B.T.W. The last dog went to my cleaning lady 2 weeks ago....And I have to 2 new bikes still with red number plates Lol.....It is easier to buy new then change the oil. :P
Yes, I noticed your latest "motorbike" as I sat at Blue Chilli and you passed by. I mentioned this to my bf who responded, " another motorbike"!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote:I noticed your latest "motorbike" as I sat at Blue Chilli and you passed by
I'm 65 years old not far from 66 I get a huge amount of pleasure driving big bikes.....Fuck it I love it....how many years do I have left to be able to do this...2 maybe 3......Then If I am 70 that part of life will be over as well as God knows what else?

Remember Chalie Italian restaurant in Sunee and Seven restaurant?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote:Remember Chalie Italian restaurant in Sunee and Seven restaurant?
Answer = No. I must have been too drunk to look up at the signs.

Do you remember "Butterfly Karaoke" in soi Day Night...back in the days when Hollywood Disco was rocking till all hours of the night. You could walk in Butterfly on any night during the week and be surrounded by +100 boys anxious to hook up for the night (and the next day). There were 7 or 8 other karaoke's surrounding Hollywood but can't remember their names...other than White Knight.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Undaunted wrote:I feel sorry for you thaifarang as you are missing out on what could have been the best time of your life.
Well I have an honest living. You fail to say how you manged to be able to retire at 50. 99.5% can't, you can. You fail to give an explanation. Makes me wonder.
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Dodger wrote:Undaunted,

The moment my feet hit the sois in Pattaya I decided that a major change in my life style was required. I went in semi-retirement immediately at age 42 - working six months a year and living in Thailand the other six
So you are self employed? What is this for work you can do for 6 months enabling you to live the rest of the year as vacation. And these 6 months working is this 40 hours per week? If it really was so simple that it is possible to work for 6 months and have 6 months free, living in semi retirement the bulk of people would choose for that. Is it really that simple? Then why do most people not do it?

Then all these people commuting to office every day, having an income only a bit higher than the fixed monthly cost they can all quit at once NOW and start working 6 months only and be 6 months free? Really? It is so easy? Or you have some very rare skills with high demand so there is no competation and when you want to work again for 6 months it can be done because your temporary employer has no choice but to hire you?
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Gaybutton wrote:
thaifarang wrote:How can they retire at 50?
I don't know why you persist in this. It has been explained several times. I'll use myself as an example. I'm retired and now I've lived in Thailand for close to 15 years. If I had to wait until I was 65 to retire, how old do you think I am? Do you think I am in my late 70s or in my 80s?
But what job did you do then? If it really is so fucking easy nearly everyone will do it, certainly gay singles.
How did you then do it? You saved almost all your income the 20 years you worked? And lived in poverty for 20 years to be able to retire early?
Because my calculations show it is IMPOSSIBLE for someone to work 20 years and then live in holiday another 20 till legal retirement age.
You can not save 20 yearly salaries by working only 20 years. Somneone else mustbe paying this for you, tax payers, people who do work?

It is of course impossible to work 1 year and then live the next year on vacation, unless you earned an extremely high salary. Most people need to spend almost all they earn.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thairfarang, why are you so bitter? Are you jealous of others good fortune?
Really none of your business how others earned their money and they owe you no explanation.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:they owe you no explanation.
And he's not going to get one, other than to say I didn't work 20 years. I worked 30 years, starting at age 21. Thaifarang's 'calculations' show him that having money enough to retire in one's fifties is impossible. Meanwhile, here I am. Apparently his 'calculations' don't take retirement pensions into consideration.

Anything else about my source of income is nobody's business but my own. In fact, what I included in this post is really nobody's business but my own.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

thaifarang people planning retirement should use you as an example of what could happen as a result of improper retirement planning...That should scare the shit out of them! :lol:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

windwalker wrote:thairfarang, why are you so bitter? Are you jealous of others good fortune?
Really none of your business how others earned their money and they owe you no explanation.
Yes jealous. But it is of my business. Because I want to know how others do it, so I can see if it is feasable for me.
It surprises me how few tell here how they do it. Actually none does.
And lets be realistic. If it is very easy to retire at 50 why don't most people do it? If you interview most people they would love to retire at 50. For most going to work every day is WORK. And it feels like work. Why don't they retire at 50? Why dont 80% of people retire at 50? Explain that to me.

So those that do manage to retire at 50, it is very interesting to know how they do it. I suspect only very few of these had a verygood income and lived modestly and saved. I also suspect only very few of these had a good business they sold with big profit. I think many are not 100% honest. I think quite a few live in Thailand on social security. For example work disability (faked or real) and of course then better move to Thailand because then you can really have a descent live on it. Because if it is so easy why does no one tell how it was done? And why do most people (almost 100%) not retire at 50 if it is so easy? Why?