Headline News

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Headline News

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun

Post by Jun »

ED Visa probably doesn't stand for what first comes to mind.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Don't you just love the story about the Thai women from Sweden who was refunded 100,000 baht from a private hospital because the hospitals finance department mistakenly thought she was a farang!!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:26 pm refunded 100,000 baht from a private hospital because the hospitals finance department mistakenly thought she was a farang!!!
I was wondering if anyone else picked up on that. If I understand the story correctly, it is only that one hospital doing that, but it is by no means a standard practice. At least I hope not.

!00,000 baht more for farang? That's nearly US $3000 more simply because you're a farang. I wonder if rip-offs like that are even legal.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:04 pm
...... If I understand the story correctly, it is only that one hospital doing that, but it is by no means a standard practice. At least I hope not.
I'm not sure if it's standard practice at all of the private hospitals or not - but that one huge modern hospital in Pattaya (on Sukumvit) where most of my friends go charges double what the other private hospitals seem to charge - and quadruple what the state hospitals charge for the exact same services.

I could get a quadruple heart bypass at Queen Sirikit Hospital (state hospital) for what it would cost for a band aid for a stubbed toe at the rip-off hospital I'm referring to above.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:20 am seem to charge - and quadruple what the state hospitals charge for the exact same services.
Obviously much more expensive than others, which is bad enough, but I also would want to know if those prices are farang prices or if Thais pay those same prices too.

Even so, I won't complain too much because the highest prices I've paid in Thailand for hospitals, medical care, prescriptions, etc. are still far, very far, below prices in the USA - and that's when you can get a doctor's appointment in the USA at all without having to wait two or three months.

I've always enjoyed the medical ads on Americana TV that say talk to your doctor. Talk to your doctor? How? The only way I know of to manage to personally speak with your doctor is to meet him at the golf course . . .

URGED to cap prices? Nothing legal to force them, simply 'urged'. My guess is the type of response private hospitals are likely to give would be similar to, "Thank you. We'll keep that under advisement."

Private hospitals urged to cap prices

by Phusadee Arunmas

December 9, 2023

The Internal Trade Department is asking for coordination from private hospitals to help cap drug prices and medical service charges in a bid to reduce the cost of living.

Wattanasak Sur-iam, the department's director-general, said the agency held discussions with the Private Hospital Association on Thursday, seeking cooperation from more than 300 private hospitals in ensuring adherence to the law.

Private hospitals are required to display clear QR codes, allowing the public to check drug prices and service rates.

Complaints regarding discrepancies can be reported via the department's 1569 hotline. The department will investigate the reports and take legal action if any violations are found, he said.

Mr Wattanasak said the department also requested private hospitals disclose the purchase and sales prices of 200 drugs, medical supplies, medical services and other service charges linked to medical care, as outlined in the Universal Coverage for Emergency Patients (Ucep) programme. This information must be submitted to the department.

The Ucep programme requires all Thai hospitals to provide compulsory emergency healthcare for up to 72 hours, helping those who need it to receive treatment free, even if it is not the hospital where they are registered to receive welfare coverage.

"We requested private hospitals cooperate by maintaining the prices for medicines, medical supplies, healthcare services and medical fees. The department also asked them to help lower prices during the New Year period as part of year-end discount campaigns offered by the Commerce Ministry," he said.

The public can check drug prices on the department's website for 32,419 items, including those listed under the Ucep programme and the Thai Standardized Drug Code. A code for each pharmaceutical and medical service fee standardises them nationwide so authorities can regulate them to ensure fairness, said Mr Wattanasak.

"There was positive feedback after we published hospital prices on our website, allowing people to compare prices before seeking help," he said.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... cap-prices
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Bangkok Post wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:34 am ......The public can check drug prices on the department's website for 32,419 items, including those listed under the Ucep programme and the Thai Standardized Drug Code. A code for each pharmaceutical and medical service fee standardises them nationwide so authorities can regulate them to ensure fairness, said Mr Wattanasak.

"There was positive feedback after we published hospital prices on our website, allowing people to compare prices before seeking help," he said.
Sounds like a step in the right direction but the term "urged" is a bit weak.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:44 pm Sounds like a step in the right direction but the term "urged" is a bit weak.
I wonder if the writer's use of the term "urged" means to him the same as it means to us or if the strength of the word is lost in translation. My favorite example of that is when news articles write that someone was "invited" to the police station, when it really means "Show up or else!"

For me choosing a hospital would depend on the situation and quality of the hospital. If I find myself ill enough that I need to get to a hospital, and quickly, the last thing I would be doing is trying to check prices.

Also, if I have already established a doctor-patient relationship with a doctor I like and trust, unless the prices at that hospital are outrageously more expensive I certainly would want to continue with that doctor.

I am much more concerned about the quality of care I am receiving and the success of my treatment than I am about trying to find a cheaper hospital.

However, when it comes to prescriptions, hospitals are usually much more expensive than local pharmacies. My pharmacy of choice is Fascino. I check with them to see if the medication can be purchased from them and, better still, if there are generics. When the doctor is going to prescribe something, I always ask if it can be bought at a pharmacy rather than at the hospital. I always get an honest answer.