Arab problem sorted on soi 17 tonight ....

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Arab problem sorted on soi 17 tonight ....

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:The Arabs whom posters are accusing of this behaviour are hardly typical of their race and culture.
I don't believe any of us are saying it is. However, their race and culture is irrelevant to the problems they have been causing with motorbikes in Pattaya - and that does typify their behavior in Pattaya.

fountainhall wrote:if there was motorbike racing destroying my sleep most nights, I would be livid!
Not only that, but it also destroys your ability to walk on Soi VC and Soi 17 and assume you're still going to be alive and uninjured by the time you get to wherever you're going.

I can't speak for others, but I can certainly tell you there are many times I was walking on those sois, and they are narrow sois, and the Middle Easterners on motorbikes, going at totally unsafe, high speed, just barely missed me. One time I did get clipped - by either the handle bar or the side mirror. For a few moments I thought he broke my arm. The "gentleman" knew damned well he hit me. Do you think he stopped, or even slowed down, to at least check if I was ok or perhaps apologize? Three guesses . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:One time I did get clipped - by either the handle bar or the side mirror. For a few moments I thought he broke my arm. The "gentleman" knew damned well he hit me. Do you think he stopped, or even slowed down, to at least check if I was ok or perhaps apologize? Three guesses . . .
As we know the Thais are not immune to clipping or even slamming into pedestrians. One late afternoon I had been visiting a Thai friend in the Adventist hospital. I left to go to the Skytrain station at Ratchathewi. After crossing Rama 6 I came to a T junction leading into Petchaburi. Being rush hour, all traffic on Petchaburi was blocked. 4 lanes of traffic leading into Petchaburi were also at a standstill while the 4 leading down from Petchaburi were totally empty. I crossed, making sure there were no stray motorcycles coming up on the blocked side. Reaching about 2/3rd of the way across I turned to check in case any traffic was turning left into the soi. As I was almost at the pavement I was struck full force by a young motorcyclist. He had entered the soi from a gas station about 100 meters down, paid no attention to the rules of the road and merely drove up the wrong side of the soi by the pavement whilst chatting on his phone.

I was knocked to the ground. Thankfully I had a briefcase in my left hand. That took the force of the front wheel. Without it I am certain my knee would have been hit hard. The boy, seeing I was in the act of getting up with the aid of a couple of kind pedestrians, merely got on his bike and raced off! Crossing roads is dangerous enough without louts driving up the wrong side not even looking where they are going!
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

Oliver wrote:The Arabs whom posters are accusing of this behaviour are hardly typical of their race and culture. They come from the Gulf States which are wealthy, authoritarian and, remember, pro-American; they are no use to those of us in the movement for human rights in Palestine for a good reason- their wealth makes them more sympathetic to the rapacious Israelis stealing land by the day and in Jun's word "crushing" the indigenous population.
Name at least one non-authoritarian Arab state. You seem to hint that their behavior in Pattaya are similar to behaviour of Americans. But Americans (as well as tourists from all other countries) do not behave like that in Pattaya. Why are mentioning Israel? What is the relation to the topic discussed? Sorry, but you sound like anti Semite. Who are members of your movement? Arab terrorists in London, Paris , Berlin?
bobsaigon3

Post by bobsaigon3 »

I’m not really sure that this matter is worthy of political or social commentary. There are groups of Arabs (from the Gulf States? Saudi Arabia? North Africa? No one knows) who drive motorcycles dangerously in Pattaya. All people are saying is that they should be controlled. Yes, it has evolved into “those Arabs” but if the groups had a different make up it would be “those Russians” or “those Americans” or “those Chinese”. Simply put, this group of motorcyclists, who happen to be Arabs, has caused people to be concerned. Would they behave the same way elsewhere? In London or another European city? Of course not. They raise hell in Thailand because it’s possible to do so.

Certainly “these Arabs” we see are not representative of a culture or cultures. There are many fine Arabs and having been in the Middle East for ten years, I lived among exemplary Saudis, Egyptians, Palestinians, Lebanese, et al., but at the moment it is not such fine people who are riding motorcycles dangerously around Pattaya. So, like it or not, people will continue to refer to “those Arabs”.

The socio-political elements of the discussion could perhaps be more appropriately addressed in the next semester. Not relevant to solving the dangerous motorcycle driving in Thailand.

The Ethiopian reference: Before it became more affordable for the men of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia to fly to Thailand for their fun, they would head across the Red Sea to Asmara or Addis Ababa in Ethiopia to find girls. Commercial sex has always been a part of the Ethiopian culture.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

In Sunee now same Arab shit on motorbikes as before.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
billyhouston

Post by billyhouston »

Joachim wrote: Why are mentioning Israel? What is relation to the topic discussed. Sorry, but you sound like anti-semite.
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Oliver wrote:I feel sad for those who cannot appreciate the art, culture and science that Arab and Persian civilisations gave us
Sorry you feel sad, but the art, culture, and science that Arab and Persian civilizations gave us occurred a great many years ago. An appreciation of that does not excuse the behavior and what they're giving us now. If you want what they're giving us now, you can have it. I'll do without.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't know enough to say if these Arabs ARE typical of their culture OR ARE NOT typical of their culture.

What I would say, is whether they are rich Arab tourists or poor Arab refugees, I am not at all impressed by any aspect of Arab behaviour or regard for other people & other cultures.
aussie

Post by aussie »

I found a solution to the problem. Ripleys Believe It Or Not at Royal Garden has been very busy this week with young middle eastern men. A large group of them nearly soiled their pants when the ghoul at the haunted adventure chased them out the exit with a chain saw. It was very funny to watch. I was thinking the city council could employ the ghoul to run along soi VC with his chainsaw, scare them off their motorcycles and back to wherever they came from and hopefully never return.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

As in most situations the authorities ŕemain useless it is time for the locals to act and show these pigs it is unsafe to continue their antics.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"