Here we go again. Won't they EVER learn?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Here we go again. Won't they EVER learn?

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Are you really surprised this was not included
No, but I am surprised that you didn't answer my question. How does your source know?
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Gaybutton wrote:Why do these pedophiles do it?
I think we should reserve this word for people who feel sexually attracted to kids, those who have not finished puberty. Which is also the true definition.

Because if feeling sexually attracted to a 17 year old makes you a pedophile then 95% of humanity is a pedophile. I know for a fact many many hetero men can get aroused by the body of a 17 year old female, weeks before she turns 18.

Also it would mean the huge majority of countries legalize pedophilia, because in many countries 16 is age of consent. So legally an adult can have sex with a 16 year old. Do these countries legalize pedophilia? No, because feeling sexually attracted to 16, 17 (and up) is not pedophilia
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thaifarang wrote: think we should reserve this word for people who feel sexually attracted to kids, those who have not finished puberty.
And I suggest you tell that to the police and judges in Thailand when you are here. Like it or not, that law is one which is enforced with far more conviction in this country than some others. Perhaps you may get lucky and some posters might bring you a BigMac in jail as you serve a multi-year sentence. You will also have the word pedophile on your back for the rest of your life. You think that is worth an argument about the age at which a young person can legally have sex with a foreigner?
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

fountainhall wrote:
thaifarang wrote: think we should reserve this word for people who feel sexually attracted to kids, those who have not finished puberty.
And I suggest you tell that to the police and judges in Thailand when you are here. Like it or not, that law is one which is enforced with far more conviction in this country than some others. Perhaps you may get lucky and some posters might bring you a BigMac in jail as you serve a multi-year sentence. You will also have the word pedophile on your back for the rest of your life. You think that is worth an argument about the age at which a young person can legally have sex with a foreigner?
I did not say he should not be convicted for sex with a minor. I hope he will be convicted. If only because it would be unfair to all law abiding people if people who break the law get away with it.

I only say don't call him a pedo because he has sex with a 17 year old. That is not pedophilia.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

fountainhall wrote: You think that is worth an argument about the age at which a young person can legally have sex with a foreigner?
As your post proves it is worthy of an argument!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaifarang wrote:I only say don't call him a pedo because he has sex with a 17 year old. That is not pedophilia.
I suppose we could debate what constitutes a pedophile if you really want to. You have your definition and I have mine. I agree there is nothing wrong with finding young people attractive. I don't see simply finding them attractive as an issue.

To me, a pedophile is someone who, instead of controlling his urges, intentionally seeks out boys or girls for sex and they are below legal age. In Thailand, sex with someone even one day below legal age is a serious crime. Next day, on his 18th birthday, now it's ok.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thaifarang wrote:I only say don't call him a pedo because he has sex with a 17 year old. That is not pedophilia.
If for whatever reason the law of a country states you are a pedophile and convicts you as a pedophile, the fact is that thereafter you are branded as a pedophile in the court of world opinion with all the negative effects that will result in probably for decades. Such a convicted person can argue till the cows come home that he is no pedophile. That will have zero effect!
thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

fountainhall wrote:If for whatever reason the law of a country states you are a pedophile and convicts you as a pedophile
The law only says sex with a minor (so below 18) is a crime. I doubt the text of the law gives it the label 'pedophilia'.

That label is used by media and forum members. I think often wrongly used. The law doesn't brand someone a pedophile who has sex with a 17 year old, the media and the public does.

(By the way only when it concerns a man. Because obviously a female having sex with a 17 year old boy is not a pedophile, but that is logical, doesn't need any explanation).
Alex

Post by Alex »

Not in Thailand. An adult female who has sex with a 17 y.o. boy can be prosecuted under the same law as well. How many parents would press charges in such a case is anyone's guess, but the law doesn't discriminate between the genders.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaifarang wrote:I doubt the text of the law gives it the label 'pedophilia'.
Does that matter? Whether the law uses the word 'pedophile' or not, the consequences are the same. If you think the word 'pedophile' is inappropriate, then don't use the word. I think it's absolutely appropriate and I will continue to use the word.