chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Undaunted »

Songkran with all these people together should be cancelled.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:18 pm Songkran with all these people together should be cancelled.
As far as I'm concerned, it already is.

Since there's not enough water anyway, maybe the City will hand out free cans of disinfectant for people to spray at each other.

Can you imagine a group of Chinese people wanting to rub powder on people's faces... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:18 pm Songkran with all these people together should be cancelled.
I doubt that will happen unless the problem in Thailand significantly escalates. For me, this may be the first time I really do stay in my car rather than getting out and participating.

The virus scare is already causing events to be canceled and at the time of this post Songkran is only about 6 weeks away. If they don't cancel it, I have a feeling it will be very subdued compared to previous years. I can picture Songkran activities being limited to religious rites, but I can't picture very many Thais paying any attention if the powers-that-be try to cancel the water splashing. I think they'll all be out there splashing whether the powers-that-be like it or not. For Thais, trying to cancel Songkran water splashing would work about as well as western countries trying to cancel Christmas.

Meanwhile, assuming Songkran water splashing won't be canceled, where are those of you who wish to escape going to go and how are you planning to get there? With so many flight cancellations, the virus risk of being in crowded airports and airplanes, and the virus scare happening in other countries, and even the risk of your flight back to Thailand getting canceled, this year you might be better off just staying put and hibernating for 1 or 2 days, which is all you would really need to do to avoid the water splashing. And look at the bright side - this year maybe there won't be those Middle Easterners busy splashing everybody trying to get to and from Sunee Plaza.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Your wish may come true. Part of the following article says: ""Songkran this year is likely to be quiet," Mr Yuthasak said, referring to the water festival during April 13-15.

"People here are also talking about no water splashing because of the virus, which will also dampen overall sentiment".
"

Tourist arrivals may drop 6 million this year due to virus: TAT

by Reuters

March 2, 2020

The number of foreign tourists visiting Thailand may fall by 6 million this year to 33.8 million, the lowest in four years, due to growing fears over the coronavirus outbreak, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) said on Monday.

That was downgraded from last month's forecast for 35 million visitors this year, down 12% from 2019's 39.8 million, due largely to fewer tourists from China, Thailand's biggest source of visitors.

Visitor numbers in February likely slumped 40%, with a deeper contraction expected in March and April, TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

After a 2.5% rise in tourist arrivals in January, February's figures likely slumped 40%, and a deeper decline is expected in March and April, TAT Governor Yuthasak Supasorn told Reuters.

April should be the weakest month, with tourist numbers likely tumbling 50-60%, he said.

"Songkran this year is likely to be quiet," Mr Yuthasak said, referring to the water festival during April 13-15.

"People here are also talking about no water splashing because of the virus, which will also dampen overall sentiment".

On Sunday, Thailand recorded its first coronavirus death, with a total of 43 cases since Jan. 30.

The outbreak impact is expected to last for 5-6 months, and tourist numbers should turn positive from July, Mr Yuthasak said.

TAT has said Thailand could lose as much as 500 billion baht in tourist revenue if there were no measures to support the industry, a key growth driver.

The government is planning "substantial" measures, including soft loans, to help tourism, according to Finance Minister Uttama Savanayana. The cabinet is expected to vote on the measures on Tuesday.

Tourism is crucial to Thailand as spending from foreign visitors amounted to 1.93 trillion baht last year, or 11% of gross domestic product (GDP).

Nearly 11 million Chinese tourists spent about 544 billion baht last year.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/18 ... -virus-tat

Pattaya City cancels St. Patrick’s Day parade and postpones Tropixx Music Festival out of precaution for Covid-19 Coronavirus

By Adam Judd

March 2, 2020

Pattaya City officials have informed the Pattaya News and posted on their social media channels that the decision has been made to cancel the St. Patrick’s Day parade and postpone the upcoming Tropixx musical festival, both events that appeal to primarily foreign tourists, due to the novel Covid-19 Coronavirus outbreak taking place across the world.

There has been no announcement on the Thai music festival, which is primarily a domestic Thai event, The Glory Muay Thai and taste of Thailand festival or any announcement on Songkran activities, which is traditionally the busiest tourist and holiday period yearly for Thailand.

Pattaya City officials stressed there were no cases of Covid-19 in Pattaya and cleaning measures and cancellations were all preventative and designed to protect locals, expats and tourists.

This would have been the tenth year in a row for the parade. Organizers are dissapointed but understand the importance of ensuring the safety of all.

The Tropixx Music festival, a festival designed around an Ibiza style EDM festival with top DJ’s from around the world, was postponed. Organizers said they are still looking to hold the event in the future when the virus situation has settled.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/02/p ... ronavirus/

30,000 tour guide job losses - and probably plenty more job losses to come. I'm truly sorry for the people losing their jobs through no fault of their own, but I'm also concerned that so many people out of work, with few prospects of finding alternative employment, crime rates will climb when so many people start running out of money and get desperate.

30,000 tour guides lose jobs as tourist numbers dive

Mar 2, 2020

At least 30,000 tour guides nationwide have lost their jobs after the number of tourists nosedived by 80-90 per cent amid concern over the Covid-19 coronavirus, Tourism Council of Thailand president Jarupol Rueangket said after a 2020 Annual General Meeting. The effects of the Covid-19 outbreak will further slow down tourism in the country, he warned.

Some countries have cautioned tourists to be careful when travelling to Thailand, while a few have prohibited visits to the kingdom, Jarupol said.

Most tour guides do not have other jobs, making their life difficult as they bear day-to-day expenses, and most don’t have any backup plan either, he added.

Jarupol said the council will compile proposals for the government to help solve problems and find a source of low-interest loans for tourist guides.

He admitted that in 40 years of being a tour guide, this year after the Covid-19 outbreak has witnessed the most impact on the profession.

He believes that if the coronavirus situation does not improve after 3-6 months, almost all tour guides will find themselves jobless.

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30383158
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:31 pm
Thailand is up to 43 cases and 1 death so far. Out of the 43, 28 have been declared well enough to be sent home.
So, as I said in another forum, Thailand is NOT up to 43 cases at all. 28 have recovered so they actually ONLY HAVE 15 cases.

Why countries continue to add cases WITHOUT deleting recovered cases I have no idea.

It only serves to enhance panic, affect stock markets, airlines, hotels and so on.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

gerefan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am So, as I said in another forum, Thailand is NOT up to 43 cases at all. 28 have recovered so they actually ONLY HAVE 15 cases.
Just because some of the patients recovered doesn't mean their names should be erased from the list of reported cases. To measure and monitor the spread of this virus, the most important number is "Reported Cases", not simply who lives or dies from this.

Some people are going to panic anyway. That's just what some people do. So be it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gerefan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am So, as I said in another forum, Thailand is NOT up to 43 cases at all. 28 have recovered so they actually ONLY HAVE 15 cases.
The fact that I wrote in my post that 28 recovered and were sent home isn't good enough?

How would you prefer me to say it? Like this? "Thailand had 43 cases with 28 recoveries so far. At the present time there are still 15 cases being treated."

Is that better?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:58 pm Meanwhile, assuming Songkran water splashing won't be canceled, where are those of you who wish to escape going to go and how are you planning to get there?

I really don't think there's much need to escape from anything. For those living in Pattaya, Songkran is apparently going to be a very subdued "non-event" this year. If I were still living in Pattaya, I would stock up on supplies (including a boy special) and enjoy a few cozy days indoors nestled on the sofa, or wherever. If I didn't own a vehicle, I would avoid public transportation like the plague (meant literally).

Jay and I will do the same as we have during the last few Songkrans, and just enjoy to peaceful surroundings of Bang Saray without all the drunken mayhem. We normally avoid crowds anyway, but will be extra cautious this year. The only day that Songkran is celebrated in Bang Saray is April 20th. We normally join in the festivities, but have already decided to cross this off the list this year. There are plenty of things we enjoy doing indoors - and we can even sprinkle a little water on each others foreheads when we're finished for our own personal tribute to Songkran 2020..
Jun

Post by Jun »

Thankfully, there is one genius with the solution to the virus (see second clip):

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1234607697540063234
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:50 pm Thankfully, there is one genius with the solution to the virus
On that same page: