chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Josan

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Josan »

Trongpai, THANKS much for your report on the activity at the bars! Much appreciated!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:09 pm The ministry also announced plans to begin handing out free face masks on Monday, with 100,000 pieces a day, or a maximum of three per person, available. They will be distributed at the ministry compound in Nonthaburi.
Handing out 100,000 free face masks per day from one compound in Nonthaburi is a poor attempt at "distribution". Proper distribution might involve multiple sites.

Also, if they provide a maximum of 3 per person, that means 33,000 people visiting one compound. Which would be a good way to increase transmission risk by concentrating people in one area and increasing pollution from travel.
Of course, with a wholesale price of about 2 baht, the only way anyone would bother to travel is if there's still a shortage of masks. There are plenty of street vendors selling masks in Bangkok.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:43 pm There are plenty of street vendors selling masks in Bangkok.
What is the quality of those masks? I hope better than I'm guessing.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:55 pm
Jun wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:43 pm There are plenty of street vendors selling masks in Bangkok.
What is the quality of those masks? I hope better than I'm guessing.
According to the World Health Organization, If you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with suspected 2019-nCoV infection.

https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease ... -use-masks

According to the U.S. Surgeon General, the masks are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching the coronavirus.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/heal ... masks.html

In addition to this, researchers have already determined that the majority of face masks being sold will not protect against this particular virus because this virus is simply too small for the mask to filter.

My take-away from this is, don't bother wearing the mask, wash your hands frequently, run like the devil if the guy standing next to you starts sneezing or coughing, and whatever you do, don't eat at a Chinese buffet.

Thailand handing out free face masks that don't even work is simply for show. If they really cared, they would stop the Chinese from entering Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Josan

Post by Josan »

I use a mask to keep my fingers from my face, nose, etc. Without thinking I always am touching my face.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Josan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:38 pm I use a mask to keep my fingers from my face, nose, etc. Without thinking I always am touching my face.
Without thinking, I'm always touching my boyfriend's ass. I doubt a mask would help.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Unless you have a Lone Ranger fantasy. LOL
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Some of the concerns I'm reading about for Thailand probably are happening in plenty of other places in the world too.

1. People are concerned about what will happen if the virus does start spreading so rapidly that hospitals will not have enough beds, medical supplies, and pharmaceuticals to handle it, along with fears about doctors, nurses, and other hospital staff also falling ill. In the news, Thailand is saying none of these are problems - yet - and they are trying to stock up just in case. However, some of the supplies, pharmaceuticals, and equipment come from China and some of it is getting very difficult to obtain because China needs it all for themselves.

2. People are trying to avoid crowds. Me too. Many people are turning to online shopping and other forms of E-commerce, including food and grocery delivery, rather than venturing out to grocery stores, restaurants, etc.

3. Many people in the world are adopting the Thai wai greeting - the clasped hands and a little bow - rather than physically touching each other, such a shaking hands.

4. Events that normally draw huge crowds are being postponed or canceled altogether. In Thailand the MotoGP event in Buriram is the latest to be indefinitely postponed.

5. Some businesses have closed due to lack of customers. Several still open and operating normally have started fever screening people trying to enter at all.

6. People are canceling unnecessary travel, especially traveling for holidays. Some people are becoming frightened to travel on airplanes, buses, even rapid rail such as Bangkok's BTS and MRT.

7. In the financial world, there is concern this may cause a major worldwide recession, perhaps even a global depression - with huge numbers of people losing their jobs and having no means of income.

8. Some vendors have been caught price gouging face masks. In Thailand the penalties for that can be quite severe. I recently read that the penalties can include very heavy fines, years of imprisonment, or both.

Thailand is up to 43 cases and 1 death so far. Out of the 43, 28 have been declared well enough to be sent home.

Personally, I believe one of the biggest problems is fear, some perfectly legitimate and some so far needless. There are too many unknowns at this point. Nobody knows where this disease is going, whether even animals can get it and spread it, how likely it is to become such a pandemic that there will be no place to go for treatment, whether the virus will eventually disappear, the odds of contracting the disease, whether people who survive the disease are now immune or can become reinfected, or just about anything else.

Pattaya City disinfects Walking Street, Soi 6 , City Hall, schools, malls etc. to help prevent Covid19 Coronavirus

Officials reiterate there are NO confirmed cases in Pattaya

By Adam Judd

March 1, 2020

Pattaya City officials, led by Deputy Mayor Mr. Manot Nongyai, have been busy the past several days with multiple disinfectant, antiseptic and fogging companies disinfecting major parts of the city to make tourists, expats and residents feel safer from any potential out break of the COVID19 Coronavirus.

City officials reiterated that there are NO confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Pattaya or at local hospitals and rumors and online posts claiming the opposite are fake news. The Thai Government also has been reminding residents that spreading fake news is punishable under Thai law.

The Pattaya News have had many messages over the past several days and have spoken with multiple city officials, hospital administrators and law enforcement and all have stated there are no confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the Pattaya area. Officials also said people should listen to confirmed official sources and not rumors or speculation.

Mr. Nongyai says the health of Pattaya residents and tourists is their top priority and the city has responded by disinfecting many well trafficked areas including City Hall and Walking Street and multiple tourist attractions and schools. Additionally, many venues and hotels are now requiring temperature checks upon entry to to help protect their guests and customers and make them feel safe.

The disinfecting will continue twice a month for the immediate future in all major tourist attractions and heavily trafficked areas in Pattaya.

The disinfectants being used are natural extracts and not harmful to people, Mr. Nongyai added. The equipment has been provided primarily by Giant Supply Company and the machines used are the same ones used to clean airplanes at U-Tapeo airport, Airofog 260.

Story and photos: https://thepattayanews.com/2020/03/01/p ... n-pattaya/