12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: 12 Years in Pattaya..Then and Now...part 1

Post by Gaybutton »

thaifarang wrote:I don't know any other job with these nice benefits.
Maybe you don't, but I do. Many public sector jobs have that option.

Meanwhile this argument really has nothing to do with the topic. If you wish to discuss retirement options, please start a new topic and stick to the subject of this topic.
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

Smiles wrote:Surely one can retire at any time they wish. It's all about money. Undaunted retired at 50 ... because he could.
True story. It depends on what you've saved, what sort of retirement you may/may not get from your employer, what your standard of living is and where you find an affordable place to live out your remaining years. I stopped working at 52, got used to the idea and finally decided to pack it in and just say "retired" about five years after that. I'm not wealthy, but - barring the unexpected - I should be OK.

And don't call me Shirley.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thaifarang wrote:I know indeed military has this. But I don't know any other job with these nice benefits. These jobs must be very popular, who doesn't want this?
Retired at 53 working a government job. Yes, I took a hit but hated my job and loved my retirement. Sure, could have worked another 10 or 20 years but decided to enjoy my years when I could. And, to rub it in, I have free medical benefits that cover me even in Thailand.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Undaunted wrote:. . . only those that knew Sunee back then could relate to it's very electric atmosphere......Elephants, Snake carriers an a collection of farang that looked as if they were extras in a Fellini film.
I wonder if any of you know where the term paparazzi comes from - I certainly didn't until I looked up Fellini in response to the OP.

Personal and highly idiosyncratic visions of society, Fellini's films are a unique combination of memory, dreams, fantasy and desire. The adjectives "Fellinian" and "Felliniesque" are "synonymous with any kind of extravagant, fanciful, even baroque image in the cinema and in art in general". La Dolce Vita contributed the term paparazzi to the English language, derived from Paparazzo, the photographer friend of journalist Marcello Rubini (Marcello Mastroianni).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Fellini

Also, what or who is a 'snake carrier'?
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Undaumted....looking forward to your next installment. I assume the snake carrier is the person who has a snake in a sack and does snake shows. You can see them at the boxing bars during the intervals.

Meanwhile, what about those in their early fifties, who were made redundant and given a good pay off plus early pension?

How do I know?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

gerefan wrote:Undaumted....looking forward to your next installment. I assume the snake carrier is the person who has a snake in a sack and does snake shows. You can see them at the boxing bars during the intervals.

Meanwhile, what about those in their early fifties, who were made redundant and given a good pay off plus early pension?

How do I know?

The snakes were rapped around their bodies and were huge ( boa constrictors I think). As for those made redundant in their early fifties...lucky for them.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Alex

Post by Alex »

thaifarang, I started working when I was 26 and my plan is to retire when I'm 50 (I'm 40 now, so it's not 100℅ set in stone yet). It's definitely doable, even for those of us who aren't peddling drugs. Some aspects that matter:

I live in Thailand, but receive a US salary. The cost of living in Thailand is comparatively low, although I live in Central Bangkok and my lifestyle is more "farang" than Thai. Nothing outrageous though. I doubt I could save as much as I do if I lived anywhere in the US or Western Europe.

My father couldn't have retired at age 50, simply because he had to put my sister and my good self through college. Being gay and childless helps.

Some friends of my father, on the other hand, could retire early despite having children. They were made redundant while being under contractual obligations not to work for any competitors, so they received very generous severance packages.

Finally, having a good job that pays well and being disciplined enough to save a good part of your salary. It's so easy to piss it all away. Some of my Thai colleagues whose salary is a fraction of mine always seem to have the latest iPhone and MacBook Air. If they asked me for early retirement advice, I'd know where to make cuts.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

One of the criteria to successfully receive a Non-Imm Retirement Visa is your age. Guess what that minimum age is?: Yep, 50.
Even a Thai bureaucracy seems to think many farangs retire at that age.

I do agree with you in general though, that retirement at age 50 is hardly the norm. I retired at 60, but at the time I did so I was surrounded by friends and work mates who were all assuming that they would retire at 65. And it turns out 9 years later, that's exactly what they did.
---------------------------------------------------

bao-bao please check your PM inbox.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

thaifarang

Post by thaifarang »

Alex wrote:thaifarang, Some aspects that matter:

I live in Thailand, but receive a US salary.
I hadn't thought about that. Yes if you earn a Western salary and live in a cheap country I understand fully age 50 is doable.

If I look at the average job in my country the income after tax for most people almost all goes into the fixed monthly costs. There isn't much to save. Maybe a few hundred EUR you can save each month if you have an above average income, and maybe 200 EUR with an average income. I hear so many people say that their monthly fixed costs (rent/mortgage, insurances, petrol for car, food, internet subscription, taxes, health insurance) is almost equal to their income. How can they retire at 50? And this goes for many jobs, not to say most; only a few hundred is left for saving. The bulk of which will be used for clothes, mobile, new tv every x years etc.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I feel sorry for you thaifarang as you are missing out on what could have been the best time of your life.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"