chinese deadly coronavirus

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: chinese deadly coronavirus

Post by Gaybutton »

Pattaya One wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:33 am If a traveller feels sick or suspects that he/she has a fever accompanied by at least one of the symptoms; such as, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and shortness of breath within 14 days of arrival into Thailand, he/she must inform a disease control officer immediately
Why do these articles never seem to include some of the most important information? I, for one, have no idea who these disease control officers are or how to contact them. Why is that not included in the article?

Until this article, I never knew there was even such a thing as disease control officers. I also have no idea how these officers got their jobs or what qualifications, if any, they had to meet, what kind of training the received and who provided it, what happens next upon contacting them, or even how many of them there are.

Maybe it's just me, but that kind of information seems vaguely important . . .
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"First rule. I don't trust anything the government tells me. Nothing. Never. NOTHING!"
- George Carlin

Especially when the government is run by people such as Donald Trump and Mike Pence.

Why on earth would the President of the United States put someone with no experience and no qualification whatsoever in charge of trying to deal with the Corona virus crisis rather than someone who does have the necessary experience and qualifications? The only two reasons I can think of as to why Trump put Pence in charge are because if things get worse, Trump can pass the buck to Pence. The second reason is how Pence kisses Trump's ass and boosts Trump's ego trip. Other than that, putting Pence in charge makes absolutely no sense.

One thing you will never find on Trump's desk is the placard Harry Truman had which said, "The Buck Stops Here".
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

India border closure deals another blow to Pattaya tourism

By Jetsada Homklin

March 15, 2020

First the Chinese tourists stopped coming, now Indians travelers facing daunting challenges that likely will drastically reduce their numbers in Pattaya.

The Indian government on March 12 effectively closed its borders to incoming travelers, suspending visas to all nations and even revoking visa-free access to ethnic Indians who are citizens of other countries who hold an Overseas Citizen of India card.

While the government didn’t ban overseas tours or travel, it is discouraging travel abroad. Those who choose to ignore the government’s advice may face mandatory quarantine upon their return depending on countries visited. Airlines also are expected to radically cut flights to India, meaning overseas tourists might not be able to get back easily.

For Pattaya, the move is another major blow to tourism. India is the city’s second biggest market after China, which banned overseas tours in February to control spread of Covid-19.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/in ... ism-291180

Undaunted will definitely need one of these when he sees this news:

Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:32 am At least for now, don't forget that there has been no reported cases in Pattaya. Regarding virus carriers, in Pattaya I think the boy has more to fear from a farang holiday maker being a carrier than vice-versa.
The boys in Pattaya have very little to worry about. The probability of getting Covid is low and if they do get it, they will be somewhere on the left hand side of the graph below.
I believe many of the farang visitors are in the higher risk side of the graph, myself included.

My number one concern is persuading elderly relatives to take precautions to avoid catching this.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:27 pm The boys in Pattaya have very little to worry about.
Very little to worry about? I can't believe you really think that. But if you do, tell that to a bar boy who gets the disease, especially if he got it from a farang.

Do you truly believe getting a disease like this, a disease that is killing people, is no big deal and not all that serious even though they're young and highly likely to survive? Imagine what it is like going through a disease like this even though the chances of survival are quite high. I don't agree with you at all. I think the boys have plenty to worry about. If they have to be hospitalized, where do you think they'll be sent? Most likely a zoo such as Banglamung Hospital. Do you think they'll be placed in a nice private room with plenty of excellent care? They'll have to suffer through the symptoms of the disease. The other boys working in the bar might very well have to go through the 14 day quarantine.

There is much more to this disease than merely the chances of surviving it.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The probability of someone under 30 dying from this is about 0.2%.
The 0.2% is probably heavily skewed towards those with existing conditions.

So, with no cases of Covid 19 reported in Pattaya, the probability of a bar boy in good health catching it and dying from it is extremely low at present.
Worrying is not justified and it's certainly not going to help. Stress merely increases the probability of a problem.

The probability of ME dying from Covid is 7x higher and there has been a death less than 10 miles from my home, so my probability of dying is higher. I'm not worrying about it, but I am taking appropriate precautions (more than advised by the government).
I try hard to cultivate an attitude of not worrying, as it really doesn't help. Understand the risks, take appropriate responses and get on with it.

Bar boys are best advised not to worry about the health risk, but just be sensible and take the right precautions at the right time.

The exception might be those with pre-existing conditions.

A bigger concern is their income stream shutting down for a few months. I guess the ones who have been looking after their expat customers well might be best positioned.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:52 pm Bar boys are best advised not to worry about the health risk, but just be sensible and take the right precautions at the right time.
I agree with not dwelling on worrying about it or living in fear and I agree with taking precautions. I hope for the boys that will be enough.

I don't worry about it, but I am concerned about it, if you want to quibble words. Your post comes across as if you believe for bar boys it is no big deal. If that is what you meant, you're not going to get me to agree.

The point is not the probability of dying or surviving for bar boys. The point is what they will go through if they get the disease. There is no way for them to know whether any of their customers have the disease or is carrying the disease. Bar boys are a hell of a lot more prone to eventually getting the disease than you or I am. Close interaction with complete strangers is not my idea of a good way to prevent getting the virus.

Luckily, so far there are no reported cases in Pattaya. That doesn't mean the disease won't eventually make its way to Pattaya.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

It is the customers in the bars and GoGo bars that need to be concerned as they are often in close contact with each other and all but a few fall into the age group most at risk.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:59 pm Very little to worry about? I can't believe you really think that.
Vast majority of them will not even know that they are virus carriers. It will manifest itself as a usual cold and they will not need to go to hospital or even see a doctor (perhaps ask advice of a pharmacist for an appropriate over counter medication). The real danger is that they can easily transmit the decease to older much more vulnerable people. There is plenty of evidence that this happened in Washington State where elderly from several nursing homes dying like flies after virus went through the chain of human to human transfers unnoticed. Thus, do not worry for youngsters. They will be fine.
If you wish to worry, do it for elderly with preconditions.