Roving “smart car” to randomly check foreigners passport status

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Roving “smart car” to randomly check foreigners passport status

Post by Gaybutton »

Chonburi Immigration introduces roving “smart car” to randomly check foreigners passport status

By Adam Judd

February 13, 2020

Naew Na reported that a brand new BMW smart car was sent into action in Pattaya on Wednesday under the orders of Chonburi immigration chief Pol Col Naren Khreuangsanuk.

It wasn’t long before the BMW – set up with state-of-the-art onboard diagnostics – was used to verify the status of a foreigner walking about outside his house in South Pattaya Soi 7.

The vehicle will be used, according to immigration, to quickly verify the passport status of suspicious looking and acting foreigners across the city. The vehicles computer has the ability to instantly check the passport and criminal background status of foreigners.

Immigration soon realised that Imadh. M., 54, from Sudan was in Thailand illegally after running a random check on him from the vehicle.

He was taken off to Pattaya police station for processing and will be deported and blacklisted at his expense.

Pol Col Naren revealed this was all part of IB chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang’s plan to rid Thailand of illegal aliens and foreigners up to no good.

The Pattaya News notes that profiling and stopping one for a random passport check is completely legal in Thailand. It is Thai law to have your passport on you at all times, although in practice a copy is generally permitted. The copy must have the individuals arrival and visa stamps, not just the identity page.

Chonburi Immigration told the media that they will continue to conduct random checks across Pattaya on a daily basis, looking for suspicious individuals. They did not define exactly what makes an individual suspicious. Immigration also noted that those legally in the country and following the rules have nothing to be worried about and a normal check only takes a few seconds.

The public should continue to call 1178 to report infractions of the immigration laws or if they believe someone is on overstay or in the country illegally.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/02/13/c ... rt-status/
Jun

Re: Roving “smart car” to randomly check foreigners passport status

Post by Jun »

I always carry a copy of my passport, but not the page with the stamps.

If copies are acceptable, presumably a photo of the stamp page on my mobile phone would be acceptable ?

I presume that's of lower importance if they can make electronic checks from the car ? One fingerprint and it should be possible to verify immigration status, in theory.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The Pattaya News wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:29 pm Chonburi Immigration told the media that they will continue to conduct random checks across Pattaya on a daily basis, looking for suspicious individuals.

This is actually one idea that they've come up with that may actually provide a benefit.

There are a whole lot of shady looking characters in the mix, so sorting the "suspicious individuals" from everyone else (without openly discriminating) won't be easy.

This is a good reminder for me to always carry a copy of my passport.
pong

Post by pong »

On somewhere else (TV=Thaivisa, I guess?) was a report that these very hard working guys in their BMW had arrested a handicapped farang senior citizen in Cholburi-muang=town (you know, very same province, even the capital of Patters) who was walking with a Zimmer frame (that kind of walking aid, 3 sided) which was still in plastic (as many new Thai fur-niture also is till it simply drops off). he also proved to be in overstay of around 26 days, if I remember correct. Now that is indeed saving the Thai from a really dangerous potential threat!
#@jun: in principle/theory and assuming these guys have the needed skills for that, they can check their system with whatever official ID or copy by name, birthdate/whatever on entry registries and type of visa held. But thsi requires a little more effort and skills.................(as just holding a Thai ID with chip against a device). With todays savvy new tech its daft simple to store a foto of the stamps etc. in your fone, nah?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Why on earth can the Thai immigration give longer visas? Why only a month on a tourist visa?
Even the UK give every visiting tourist 6 months.
The whole thing is a pain the backside as we all know.
Rant over!