Hotel Bookings

Anything and everything about Thailand
Jun

Re: Hotel Bookings

Post by Jun »

pong wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:44 pm No, its an imitation of many such EUR chains in the budget line. Think of IBIS-budget, HotelBB (Germany, FR), premiereclasse (FR) etc.
From what I see, Hop Inn have taken standardisation of buildings far beyond the levels of Ibis and have a better hotel offering than Ibis budget.
odd

Post by odd »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:35 pm
ISAC69 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:02 pm It's rare usually booking directly through the hotel home website is more expensive I guess they don't want to be kick out from hotel booking websites if they offer better deals.
Agreed. Most hotels have the absolutely barking mad policy of charging more for direct bookings. Anyone would think they want to be eventually under the control of booking sites and paying them 15%, or whatever it is.

However, Hop Inn strikes me as a very well run and optimised business. Even their hotel buildings seem to be to a standardised design, going far beyond what I have seen elsewhere.
Hotels do agree a room rate for the various seasons with the agents and also agree not to undercut that price-I am sure there are some hotels which turn a blind eye to those agreements . Also the commission charged by the agents can be anything from 15% to 37% depending on the season.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Some hotels will give better deal if you mail them directly and negotiate with them. Also you can get other benefits like free breakfast, one day free if you book more than x nights, room upgrade and so on.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

ISAC69 wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:32 am Some hotels will give better deal if you mail them directly and negotiate with them.
Seems to me the best thing to do would be to see what you can get online. Then negotiate with the hotel. Whatever offer you like best, that's what to choose.
pong

Post by pong »

Depends on when and where. The situaton re that in TH is for now a bit fluent-many HTLs still stick to age-old traditions and many of their owners are not willing to change that much. Also keeping their own site uptodate cost an awful lot of money for smaller places and in the end those sites like bkg or agoda may not be that much costlier as doing it by ´yourself´=hiriing an IT-expert. Old style mompop places-just like the foodcarts vs the supermarkets-here in Th are quite good at keeping cost down and knowing in their heads where others have giant computers for.
Another thing specific for TH is that (this is a touchy subject and only widely known to those in the trade of so called ´hospitality´) many HTLs have unwritten policies re what type of guests they want-and also not want. The new style booking engines make that quite hard to maintain and thats also a reason why many dont want to use them. Applies more to groups. Think of the old style guesthss in soi Post Office-many only take danish/finnish/icelandic or whatever guests or at least those who know them. Or the touchy subject of yes/no Indians. Samesame for many Thai HTLs out in baan noks.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pong wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 am Depends on when and where.
I haven't seen any news yet about what's happening with hotels now that China is banning international travel during the Coronavirus crisis, but maybe the hotels, at least the ones now in trouble due to Chinese tour cancellations, are going to offer excellent deals in an attempt to make up for the loss as best as they can. We'll see.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:10 am
pong wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:42 am Depends on when and where.
I haven't seen any news yet about what's happening with hotels now that China is banning international travel during the Coronavirus crisis, but maybe the hotels, at least the ones now in trouble due to Chinese tour cancellations, are going to offer excellent deals in an attempt to make up for the loss as best as they can. We'll see.
Slightly off topic but I wonder if prices in the big bars in BKK and Pattaya will also drop, or are we in for the Thai “logic” of increasing prices when there is a drop in trade?