"I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: "I NEED MONEY FOR RENT"

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm
Any bar boy who is reasonably proficient at his job should be CAPABLE of repaying debt.
Why would any barboy even want to repay a debt to a farang?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm He can earn several thousand baht per week
Are you joking?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

rocket wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 pm So it’s all about money and how much.
That's one way to look at it, but that is not what we're talking about on this topic. We're talking about boys who ask for a loan and whether to expect it to be paid back or if the 'loan' is effectively a 'give'.

No need for you to keep justifying your relationship with your boyfriend. We get it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

ISAC69 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:20 pm It really depends on the relationship. If your Thai BF genuinely loves you his relatives won't do something that would harm the relationship between you two and will pay back loans, but if the boy is just using you as walking ATM his relatives will do the same and there is no chance you receive back any loan you give them.
That's an excellent point!

One of the tough realities is that a high percentage of these relationships involve money boys, where the foundation of the relationship is based on sex-for-pay from the very start. It's difficult, if not impossible, for his family members to perceive your role in the relationship as being any different than that in which it was formed.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:48 pm
Jun wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm He can earn several thousand baht per week
Are you joking?
Not really. The earning power is fairly simple. Let's say 4 offs per week, some long time, some short time, so 4 x 1500 = 6000. If he's really good, as a few seem to be and seeing more than one customer per day, considerably more could be earned. Maybe over 10000 per week. I expect the average is of course less, but I'm referring to what they could earn, with some aptitude.

Some will struggle to get offs and get hardly any clients, but they need to change profession or raise their game.

I'm fairly sure the lad I rereferred to could average more than 1 customer per day with some more effort - working Grindr, rather than playing games and sleeping.
ISAC69

Post by ISAC69 »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 pm I'm fairly sure the lad I rereferred to could average more than 1 customer per day with some more effort - working Grindr, rather than playing games and sleeping.
The main problem is that many boys are so lazy that they prefer asking loans with no intention to pay back than working harder to get more clients.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jun wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:53 pm I'm fairly sure the lad I referred to could average more than 1 customer per day with some more effort - working Grindr, rather than playing games and sleeping.
I have no idea which boy you're talking about. Maybe that would apply to him, but certainly not the majority of the bar boys. 4 offs per week? These days the boys are lucky to be offed at all. Don't you know that?
Jun

Post by Jun »

The lad I'm referring to briefly worked in Boyztown and now plys his trade in Bangkok as a freelancer on the phone apps.

He's a cute lad, does enough to get repeat business and I'm still fairly sure he could average more than 1 customer per day.
I'm not going to post his name, but will send by PM if you want a candidate for your next Bangkok trip.

It seems to take longer to find such lads on the apps in Bangkok than in Pattaya. Which is one reason why I think he could do well.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Regardless of the earning capacity of a working boy, if he's using (or addicted) to drugs, which many unfortunately are, they still end up broke at the end of the month when rent is due. The money they earn on the working boy scene is never enough.

The boys who remain clean and avoid the drug scene and party lifestyle, can live well, help support their families, and still pay room rent with as little as 3 or 4 short times a week (18,000 - 24,000 THB/month). The "shining stars" who can get multiple offs per day are few and far between these days for the mere fact that the demand (customer base) has declined substantially. Boys in this top-of-the-rock category can earn anywhere from 40,000 - 80,000 per month, or more, depending on their manipulative skills. Rarely do "shining stars" bother begging for room rent. It's usually either the party boys/druggies, or the ones who simply don't have the looks, understanding that a money boys success relies largely on his sex appeal.

The phrase "I need room rent" is simply their way of communicating the level of money they're going to attempt to get from you. If they think you're a hard target, a common phrase they use is "I am hungry", translating to, can I have 40 - 100 baht. If they see you as a fairly easy target, a common phrase they use is "I need room rent" translating to can I have 3,000 - 6,000 baht. If they see you as being totally naive (a walking ATM), some of the common manipulative phrases they use are "my mother's in the hospital", "our family's water buffalo died", "my sister is having a baby", "I'm in trouble with the law", "I want to go to college", "my father died in car accident" , "I need major dental work", "my grandmother's house caught on fire", "someone robbed me of all my money" "I've been diagnosed with dengue fever from a mosquito bite and will die if not treated", which translates to, I want big money ranging anywhere from tens to hundreds of thousands of baht. Falling for any of these ridiculous ploys will only result in them classifying you as an "object" (ATM) and treating you as such.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and interacting with many boys who showed up on the working scene back in the hay day who were as honest and sincere as they come, who never once applied any of the manipulative phrases shown above. They were simply nice guys who came from decent families trying to earn a buck. Unfortunately, the majority of these boys have left the scene and are either back working in their home villages, or completed school and working better jobs. The best way to avoid being confronted with "I need room rent", is to stop trying to have a relationship of any substance with a boy who's only for rent.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Good analysis by Dodger.

Incidentally, I have often been asking boys I meet for the first time if they want to do short or long time. The vast majority choose short time. Now bearing in mind that in Pattaya, I might tip 50% extra for long time, this suggests they can either manage perfectly well without the larger tip or fancy their chances of finding another short time client.
To earn the extra cash, all they really have to do is sleep alongside me and play a little in the morning.

Of course, the hourly rate is terrible, but It's a real increase in cash flow and looks OK if measured by hourly rate for waking hours.
If any working lad is really strapped for cash and struggling to get customers, then when he does get a customer, the rational choice would be to try for long time and a bigger tip. That doesn't seem to happen, so presumably they are getting by on short time tips.

Therefore I'm not convinced the market is that tough for the lads.

Ten years ago there were some lads who would assume it's long time unless told otherwise. Then when tipped, some would either try to hang around all day, or miraculously find my beach chair at about 15:30, in an attempt to roll the long time off into another day. Often a successful ploy. So instead of one short time tip, they got 2 or 3 consecutive long time tips. That attitude seems rarer.

Now, of course many of them do contact me again on the phone apps, but It's not quite as effective at getting repeat offs. Particularly if compared with sitting on my beach lounger in Speedos.

Also, my general impression is the ones who look good AND perform get more repeat offs. The other category don't perform and get no repeat offs. They send out way more messages on the apps and usually have moved onto another career within 12 months. Which is how life is supposed to work.

The lad who asked me for cash looks good and performs. So a good start.
However, he apparently stays up all night playing games and is then sleeping in the evening when it's prime time for chasing clients. He also seems to waste some of the money clubbing. If he's doing drugs, it's not noticeable like on some other lads I have met.